1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

what WildStar Learned from Dark Souls and Bioshock Infinite.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gunghoe, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

2. BStrait57

BStrait57 New Cupcake

Great find!
  3. Gunghoe

thank you, news may begin to flow again.... I hope
  4. Bazeleel

Bazeleel Cupcake-About-Town

This makes me love carbine even more!
  5. silvershadez

silvershadez Cupcake

Words are one thing. Making those words come true is another. I have yet seen so many developers speaking out the same things I allways felt that made me playing those games.

Only time will tell if wildstar truly "has learned". We speak again when we are 5+ months after launch.
    King Radinov likes this.
  6. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

I agree with the article and am glad to see folks with level heads at Carbine. Thanks for the read.
  7. BLAPPiN

BLAPPiN Cupcake

Cool article.

Im happy to see that my MMO developers play the same single player games as me, makes me even more excited about what wildstar could be!
  8. Dargenus

Dargenus Cupcake-About-Town

Can't really say I am seeing the evidence. At all.
  9. Gunghoe

There are also those that think dark souls is an easy game. Then there are those that view it as one of the hardest modern games of all time. Even with the special difficulty in bioshock. Maybe to you the game is easy. Right now it is (as they are still tuning it) Also, Solo leveling was not the hardcore part of the game, nor is the solo endgame this game will have. You got to see end game Warplots, Raids, Ect to see the level of difficulty they may be aiming for.
  10. Dargenus

I am talking about WS, not Dark Souls (and I have not played Bioshock Infinite yet, unfortunately). I'm not sure how I feel about sticking all your hard content into just the endgame and nowhere else. I think that does not promote a truly tight community like the one Dark Souls has. Games like Demon's and Dark Souls get hard fairly early on, you have to be careful and deliberate early on. You get used to that, and don't have the WoW effect of: "I spent XX levels leveling and now I suddenly have to learn how to do group content. o.o"). I never understood why leveling content keeps getting excluded when challenge is discussed. For some, leveling content is the game.

Also, not sure what game you are referring to. Demon's Souls was fairly challenging when I played it solo.
    Oconnell, Roadblock and teh_ninjaneer like this.
  11. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

I would you to hold off your assessment until you see normal players running through the first couple of dungeons. The devs were going through in level 30 gear and all abilities available in their livestreams. I have a feeling that group content, even basic dungeons, are going to be no joke and they start at level 20.
  12. Blue Tunic Man

Blue Tunic Man Cupcake-About-Town

But who will think of the casuals!?
  13. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Totally agree, not only does not prepare players properly but it also fosters a continuation of that mindset into endgame, where players then think that "entry" anything should be simplistic and you end up with the only challenging or "hard' content being the last phase of the final boss on the hardest difficulty, but only for the largest raid size.
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.
  14. Perigon

Perigon Cupcake

People here keep talking about difficulty when levelling and playing. I've never heard of a single mmo that was considered to be difficult for levelling. In fact most "hardcore" people will claim that every mmo (heck every game even) they played was fairly easy in PVE.

What I never understood with people complaining about it being easy was why they didn't just make it harder for themselves. Try levelling naked for example (in game, but out of game too if that floats your boat).
  15. Dargenus

Vanilla WoW is definitely more difficult in the sense that you would want another player or group with you in many, many, many situations.
    Because this is an MMO and we are constantly in an environment where we compare ourselves to other people, and we play among, and with, other people. You can't generate a mutual experience by making yourself naked (besides, that will not scale correctly in most MMO's I know). People often do do that, tackle elite mobs solo, higher levels, but that just devalues the game and reduces community. Why would I get a 5-man group to tackle elite quests when I can just solo them all? Why would I care to join another player in a tunnel if being overwhelmed by mobs is not ever a concern?
  16. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Probably a better word would be challenging, as opposed to faceroll and no danger of dying. Many examples of this from the Defias bandits who would run and get help, to the Redridge Gnolls who came in packs and had high aggro, to the Elite Blackrock Orcs who had Summoners.
    While these were not "hard" Dark Souls mobs, they did provide a challenge to level appropriate players and absolutely instilled a sense of danger and dying, and encouraged at least a buddy or 2, and in the case of the Orcs, CC and a healer helped a ton.
    Tayle likes this.
  17. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

I would assume developers are concerned with making mandatory content like leveling too difficult for 'the average mmo player'. It's just easier to make the difficult part of the game optional to those who seek that challenge.

I tend to side more with your line of thinking. I wish the entire experience was more difficult. As you say, players get used to a certain level of difficulty and suddenly drastically changing it upon reaching end-game is a bit clumsy and awkward. But do we know how hard the leveling experience is in WildStar? From the few streams I've watched I'll admit it looks too easy. I'd rather see more deaths, more need to group up with players (this is an mmo, after all), but it's beta and those things can be changed.

It's good to see WildStar taking a more challenging gameplay approach to the genre, I just hope they expand that to the game as a whole, not just funnel it into a very limited amount of content.
  18. Gunghoe

The solo content are for those that like progression solo. The solo content are for the casual, not for the hardcore. IF they made everything HARDcore, then most will put this game down, and not come back. There needs to be competitive players. And I am talking about Darksouls as a comparison.
  19. Spracket

Spracket Cupcake-About-Town

The article was encouraging, but as somebody mentioned above, actions speak louder than words. I'm glad to see that Carbine seems so adamant about actually making something challenging, but we'll see in a few months.

The only content we're seeing is pre-15 and players are getting 3-shot in their livestreams for pulling one mob too many. And the Devs are wiping in their own dungeons, while being over-leveled and over-geared. While I'm still hesitant about the game, what evidence we are being shown is that the game is going to provide some challenge.
  20. Dargenus

You realize Dark Souls is a solo game, right?

So people can only be hardcore (w/e that means) solo players in single player games? Give me a break. And you don't even have to make it hardcore. Just not so braindead easy that people can rush through it without thinking or ever needing or wanting another player to help.
    This means nothing, devs are frequently far worse than what a horde of theorycrafters can come up with. We won't know how hard the dungeons are until a hardcore raiding guild jumps on it. But the other issue with that is that a fast leveling process will increase the time it takes for such a guild to get to the raid in the first place.