1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What's the technical differences between the races?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Alverant, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Alverant

Alverant Cupcake

I'm still new here and don't know much about the character mechanics, but apart from the cosmetic differences and class restrictions, how are the races different? Do they have stat bonuses/penalties? Unique story lines?

Also do you think down the line (months/years) from now there could be cross-factional races? For instance a Mechari breaking his programming and joining the Exiles because he thinks they have a better chance at finding the Elders with them, or a Granok feeling betrayed by his Free Company hooks up with the Dominion.
  2. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Doubt we'll see any current races cross over. I hope we don't see the equivalent of pandas in WildStar as well.

The races do have diverse backgrounds. Some of the most dramatic and tragic include those of the aurin, granok, mordesh and... well, all of the Exiles really. They pretty much endured a global holocaust, invasion of their homeworlds, oppression due to deep class divisions the likes of a caste system, and near eradication by the Dominion.

Dominion backgrounds have been more generic thus far. Chua and draken were basically recruited by the Dominion while the mechari were made by the eldan to accompany the cassians in establishing and running the empire.

There's a lot more to it than that but both the races and the factions have intriguing stories of their own.
  3. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

The advantage to working with a galaxy/science fiction setting is that it gives Carbine access to bring in a whole slew of races. I can easily see them adding new races maybe a year or so down the road from launch. It will also be interesting to keep an eye on NPC races and see which ones are found both on Exile and Dominion side. Such as the Protostar alien race.

I don't see any cross-faction races in the races that will be available at launch. An awful lot of division between them. Individuals? Maybe, but they would likely be regulated to NPCs.

Though I did have one thought. What about addition of a third faction a couple years after launch?
  4. Xlugon Pyro

Given the current format that the game is being engineered towards, a third player faction won't happen. It's something that requires an entirely new game and be a part of the original game design plan from the ground up. The only possible exception to this would be an extremely sandboxy game where factions aren't as set in stone like they'll be in WS.
  5. Mondasin

Mondasin Cupcake-About-Town

Calling Rosdower's Revenge as the first Expansion with the Rosdowers being lead by a Satry type leader against the other races.
  6. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

They don't have any stat differences. Even hit-boxes are standard across the board, though bigger races will be noticed more easily because, you know, 9 foot tall golems/robots. Starting areas are about the only things that are different.

Also, probably no faction defection in the future, except for RP'd Exile/Dominion Human/Cassian defectors. The other races have extremely big reasons for going against the others, and I sincerely doubt an Aurin, a Granok, or a Mordesh would join the people that nearly eradicated their kind and/or devastated their homeworlds, that the Draken would break their blood-pact with the Dominion (they're big on loyalty and tradition), that a Mechari would actively go against their prime directive (protect the Dominion) or that the Exiles would have the Chua around--the Mordesh are already questionable enough, and they probably don't have the resources to contain and repair the inevitable collateral damage.
    Kataryna likes this.
  7. Vermana

Vermana Cupcake-About-Town

Definitely not as playable characters. Maybe as Quest Givers, I could see some Granok or Mordesh leaving the Exiles because they suck and becoming a Dominion informant. But Races will never be cross faction (humans already ARE by the way, Exile Humans and Cassians are the same race) since they want to keep silhouettes different.

All I heard from the Devs was that each race will have an easier time at their specialty. So I'm assuming a Granok might have an easier time at breaking things, but a harder time at being smart. Mechari would probably be smart and strong, but not very agile. etc.
  8. Hoody

Hoody Cupcake-About-Town

OOOOO, just waitin for a Domie to jump on you for that Xlug! But as for the topic of the thread, I can't really say that anyone else hasn't said. No panda races, Exiles rule, Domies drool..,
  9. Xlugon Pyro

Only problem is that my summary of the lore is dead-on. I'm not saying the Dominion races can't be interesting, but they didn't have a dark and troublesome background like the Exile races do.
  10. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

I'm not sure I see the dichotomy between "generic" and "dark and troublesome", and your interpretation of Dominion lore is kind of shallow. The Dominion didn't simply "recruit" the Chua, it singlehandedly bestowed an age of technological enlightenment upon them. And they won the loyalty of the Draken by having the Emperor kill their High Clanlord in single combat.

Personally, the fact that the Exiles are a big pile of sob stories is one big plus for the Dominion.

Anyways, we don't know anything specific about the mechanical impact of race choices. There have been a few idle remarks about the possibilities and those have been mentioned already in this thread. Faction-switching is highly unlikely, for numerous reasons, and Jeremy Gaffney has already stated that, as much as he might consider a triple faction scenario to be the ideal, it's an impractical resource drain.
  11. Xlugon Pyro

It was a brief summary of both sides. One has its races being recruited into the empire through a myriad of ways tailored to each race. The others formed an alliance as a result of constant persecution of the composite races, namely from the empire. If my analysis of Dominion lore is shallow, it's probably because it is, at least from what I've read so far.
    Xecks likes this.
  12. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

dominion is shallow anyways!
  13. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

Again, the false dichotomy between tragedy and shallowness. They're not opposed. Tragedy can be shallow and depth need not be paired with maudlin hand-wringing. If anything, the modern obsession with the underdog hero is a cliche.
  14. Xlugon Pyro

I'm not making that association. All I am saying is that I find the story behind the Exile races more compelling with backgrounds immersed in conflict and personality. The Dominion does not have this according to the brief summaries of lore that we know now.

Whether or not something is cliche is pretty irrelevant anyway. Why should I care what others or society is enamored by? If my tastes happen to align with some cliche, I don't really care. If they stand outside the norm, I don't care in that instance either.
    Xecks likes this.
  15. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

so true. i am more aligned with people who have been disenfranchised my an opressive force. so i like exiles more.
  16. SisterSin

SisterSin Cupcake

Although my homeland has seen multiple uprisings to free themselves ( I think one worked in like 600 years and in the end we were just kinda told your free now sorry we stole all your coal and stuff though I'm not sure they actually said sorry )

I just like the Draken even though I usually would go Exile.

I hope there are racial abilities possibly a Draken enrage damage buff etc etc.

I think it is not implemented in the current build. I have to stress we won't see 4 expansion packs worth of content that wow currently has we may see the equivalent of 2 if we are lucky. I for one am willing to wait besides levelling to 50 is it ?? Will probably take me 3 months so I'm willing to do that then PvP if it's implemented or do instances ( I don't raid I don't follow orders well. A raid leader once <REDACTED>ed at me I wiped it pulling the boss too early I proceeded to get him killed lead the raid myself defeated the boss then just quit )
  17. Xlugon Pyro

I do believe there'll be racials, but they won't be like the kinds we saw in WoW necessarily. Not very many details on that are known yet.
  18. Vermana

How so? I find the Dominion much deeper and more interesting than the Exiles.

Exiles: "The Dominion chased us off our worlds, and we're rebelling because we think they suck. Freedom! Muricuh! Yeah!"

Dominion: "We were chosen by an ancient and powerful race to rule the galaxy. They sent a hyper-intelligent race of sentient robots to enlighten us and inform us of our ancient right to rule. Without us, the galaxy will crumle; we must assert our dominance over all other sentient races to preserve the balance of the universe."

Personally, I think the Dominion story is more interesting.
    ruff_ethereal and CaRaDaGaiTa like this.
  19. Xlugon Pyro

An entire faction being led to essentially worship false gods and to use their "blessing" as an excuse to boss everyone else around is pretty shallow to me. If anything, it makes the whole faction look like fools. Exiles meanwhile overcame and resisted the Dominion's maneuvers against them despite being a rogue faction and thus threaten the integrity of the Dominion as viable leaders of the galaxy. They can't even deal with a small dissenting faction. The latter is far more interesting to me. It's the difference between fighting for something because some supposed god-race told us to vs. fighting for survival and freedom against an oppressive regime.

I know which one is more compelling. Maybe the other interests you more and that's fine, but I can't see a faction driven by blind faith having more depth than a faction fighting for its own basic liberties.
  20. Vermana

Ethical knowledge doesn't really affect "Depth" according to me. I think a faction based on religious zealots and dominance, like some crazy cultist crusade, is the coolest freakin' thing ever. A faction doesn't have to be intelligent or politically correct to be cool and deep.
    ruff_ethereal and CaRaDaGaiTa like this.