1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What's the technical differences between the races?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Alverant, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Not how I see the Exiles LOL.

Fair enough. I don't think we're seeing depth the same way, but I'm happy you know what your faction is all about. :p
  2. Vermana

Vermana Cupcake-About-Town

Depth for me is about how deep the story can go. The story of the Dominion goes all the way back to the origins of the Eldan, their motives, and the creation of the Mechari, and the reasons why the Cassians were chosen to rule the galaxy. Maybe the Eldan were right? Maybe the galaxy is much better off with Dominion rule. Maybe if the Dominion don't rule the galaxy, there will be some cataclysm that the Exiles won't be able to prevent. There are so many maybes and so much lore behind the Dominion that it feels very deep to me.

Meanwhile the Exiles are just a smattering of races that were upset with how the Dominion were treating them, and after being driven out of their homes, rallied together and flew to Nexus, in order to found a new colony and create a home for themselves and all other peoples that opposed Dominion rule.

Exile Lore just doesn't seem as interesting. They have no 'maybes'; they have no real backstory. Just "we hate the Dominion, let's band together and fight them!".
    CaRaDaGaiTa likes this.
  3. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

This curious interpretation of the lore certainly helps to explain your previous remarks.

I don't suppose there'd be any point in trying to embark on a conversation about the differences between a civilization that uses religion to justify its conquests and a civilization whose conquests are propelled by that religion. The Dominion is motivated by power and the lore makes it quite clear that it always has been. Creating a religion centered around the Eldan is just good autocratic statecraft. Consider that the society is led by proven biological descendants of the Eldan and the religion's basic purpose becomes clear.

What we don't have, though, are any records of swordpoint conversions on the part of the Dominion. There's no account of zealotry or fanaticism among the Dominion ranks that I'm familiar with. The idea that the Dominion's pursuit of absolute galactic sovereignty is fueled by some knuckle-dragging religious fervor is laughable.
  4. Xlugon Pyro

I see what you mean, but there's a lot of lore we don't yet know. It's likely that the Dominion took the eldan's offer without knowing the true reason for the Dominion's purpose so they created their own: galactic dominance. Their decision naturally spawned resistance, creating the Exiles. What if the eldan's creation of the Dominion wasn't so much to create an intergalactic empire but rather to create a unified front against another adversary that caused the eldan to disappear? I recall hearing about some hints that this might be the true reason for the Dominion's existence, and by not thinking through their circumstances (like most humans/humanoids do), they created a potential hole in the eldan's whole plan, jeopardizing the whole purpose of creating the Dominion.

What I'm getting at is that the Exiles spawned FROM the Dominion. They both have a connection to the eldan in different ways, even though the Exiles' link is more indirect. Any depth that the Dominion has will have some significance from an Exile perspective as well. The eldan gave rise to the Dominion which gave rise to the Exiles.

Though I do have a feeling that non human/mechari races will be more like sidekick characters in this whole story, similar to how in WoW, non orcs/non humans were in the same boat most of the time. Maybe we'll see the other races have some connection to the eldan as well. We'll see.
    CaRaDaGaiTa likes this.
  5. Xlugon Pyro

I agree. I think I have you confused because of the connotations that some of the words I used carry. I was not accusing the Dominion of acting out some sort of overzealous religious crusade, but rather use the foundation provided to the Dominion through the eldan to assert their intergalactic rule.