1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What's your opinion on gaming communities?

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by SamuraiKav, Jul 9, 2013.

1. ziddersroofurry

ziddersroofurry New Cupcake

Ok, first off, I'd like to thank both the folks from guilds that have been giving (and will be giving) their perspectives, as well as those who prefer to eschew being in a guild/part of an organized community. I'm a guild leader, myself. I started the Ember Adventurers Club way back in 2011 as a place where the forum regulars from the Runic Forums could stay in touch with each other, since many of them seemed to be moving on at that point (many of them started hanging out on the forum when I did back in 2009, when Runic first opened it), deciding to take a break from things until Torchlight II was closer to being released.

We have around 120 members and while the guild isn't terribly active (we're more of a social guild than a serious 'get stuff done' guild), I still communicate with my community on a pretty frequent basis. I'm interested in getting people into Wildstar at some point and I'll definitely be applying some of the things I've learned/will learn here, as far as getting my community to be a little more active.

While we can really only be defined as a guild in the loosest sense of the term, I think I'd like to take a shot at answering some of the questions from the first post in hopes that my perspective provides at least a little insight.

What is your opinion on large guilds/gaming communities?

I've been part of a few large gaming guilds/communities in the past, The Holy Knights of Zidaya (from whence I got my nickname-the guild was SO awesome that I just had to honor them somehow when we broke up), and the Fugworld community (a community that mostly revolves around playing Team Fortress 2. I was an admin there for several years).

I think the biggest advantage to them is that when they're run well by people who really care, they can do a lot of good, not just for individual community members but for the larger 'real world' community, as well. Fund raisers/charity drives are just a few of the things a really good community can get accomplished. The down side, of course, is that it can end up being a disaster should drama happen and the people in charge not have a clear idea of their intentions as a community or a clue as to what is best for that community.

The worst is having people that run a community who don't appreciate it or-and I've seen this happen, unfortunately-abuse it for their own ends.

Would you enjoy participating in a large guild or community?

While I don't have a problem with them, it's not for me. I don't want my guild getting too much larger and I'd like to know the people I'm in a guild with.

If you're not a member of these communities, would you participate in public game events they sponsor?

I -would- help someone elses guild by promoting their events, if they were for worthy causes or just plain old fun.

What do you feel the impact of these large communities is on a server, and the game as a whole?

What kind of impact does any large community have on the people and world around it? If a communities intentions lead to people in that community doing things that are positive, it will have a positive impact on the game and world around it. If the intentions and actions are negative, it will have a negative impact.

What feedback would you offer any of these communities?

Don't take your community for granted. Be accepting. Don't discriminate. Most of all, don't let your community be dicks to people. Have some dignity and self respect and treat others with such, pretty much.
    SamuraiKav likes this.
  2. SamuraiKav

SamuraiKav New Cupcake

AIE is on an RP server, Earthen Ring - US. From what I've found, it allowed for those that wanted to RP to be able to do so.
  3. Raive

Raive New Cupcake

I believe these gaming communities big or small provide an excellent opportunity for new and old players to not feel "alone" in these games. From a personal experience, I tend to lean toward to much smaller communities that max around 25 or so (based around raid size for the game). Coming from EQ where guilds were...pretty darn big, I look back and see that I only kept contact with maybe 1-2 of those players as to now, smaller community I've kept in contact with more over the years. So it will vary from person to person, but there are benefits of both.
    SamuraiKav likes this.