1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

When is the right time?

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Kasp, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Kasp

Kasp New Cupcake

I have had a read through alot of the recruitment messages and LFG messages on the forums and i keep asking myself the same question.

When is the right time to start looking for a guild or begin recruitment?

There is alot that goes into this as a decision so i though i would ask the general question to see what other though about it?

My immediate reaction to this is that if you start early then you are potentially signing up people that you have no idea what they are like as a gamer. I guess this is the mass recruitment method by which you recruit everyone and then kick the rubbish ones out of the raiding groups later that dont cut the mustard.

However if you wait till the game starts and you are half way through leveling you may not get the member base to get into the larger raiding groups. This in itself is a pain cause if you are not raiding then people dont want to join ur guild as they will not get what they want from it in turn you get a vicious circle till you potential demise..

Ohh it is all very difficult stuff and your thoughts would be appreciated.

Have fun!!
    Carebear Commander likes this.
  2. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

SVG (see link in siggy) is a guild that's been through several other games together, though I just recently joined a couple months ago. Currently the hardcore teams (both PvP and PvE) are playing Tera to see how they play and coordinate together and get their teamwork on! We have lots of other games that the members of the guild play together as well. In fact - we have a Community Game Night tonight 8pm EST and in a couple weeks we're hosting Wildstar Community LoL and Dota2 Tournaments! (Look up the threads right here on WSC and join the fun!)
  3. Kash

Kash Cupcake

Hi Kasp, I'm in the same situation. For the past three years I was in a guild that formed years before SWToR was released then moved to GW2 before it launched. Unfortunately, it fell apart and I find myself searching for a good fit. Good luck in your search.
  4. Screenager

Screenager Cupcake-About-Town

Its a difficult one to answer. n my opinion only it really comes down to your existing community and it's structure. Of you have an existing community and a place for players to fit you can recruit as early as you like as long as you are actively integrating people. With no existing player base to interact with you are risking leaving the players open to fracturing off and getting bored.... This is completely separate from even starting to evaluate player quality.

As it stands I'm taking the approach that with a good portion of our wildstar guild coming from existing community and circles allowing us to lean on and integrate other friendly guilds into raids we can afford to wait until release date is announced before recruiting.

Aside from maintaining numbers and player activity you have to understand your guilds goals before scoring too. Assuming you know those then I certainly would not start to recruit until you have a fair idea how tough the game will make it to active them. E.g. afterlife prefer to be PvP based but I have to wait and see how rewarding PvP and sarplots are to make it viable as a PvP guild or if I'll need pve players too. So in short.... It depends on you goals, your existing community and your commitment because once you recruit your going to be a fully active guild to be successful long term.

Sorry that kind became a ramble ;)
    Carebear Commander likes this.
  5. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

You want the god honest truth?

About 6 months after launch.

Pre-launch guilds have a tenancy to die before that period, Unless they are well established. Which means you will be soon searching again for your little oasis.

If you leave it that long, You can clearly see which guilds are invested in the game and will be it for the long hall.
  6. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I think if the community is already standing or has a history, you can recruit at anytime really. But if you're looking to form an entirely new guild, it might be better to wait until closer to launch. With all pre-release recruitment you will have drop-outs/no shows though, so either way, one needs to over-recruit quite a bit. Unless you're running a more casual type of outfit were you pretty much take in anyone who says howdeh :D.
    Carebear Commander and Kash like this.
  7. FruitPunchHero

FruitPunchHero Cupcake

Are you trying to lead a guild? If so draw from your real life friends or friends you have played with before that you know will support you. That will get you your core group. Wait until launch and pick up players as needed. Like Mellkor said, alot of these premade guilds will fall apart leaving a ton of wannabe raiders looking for homes. It won't be hard to fill out your roster from there. If all else fails buddy up with some of the other GMs and do dual guild raids.

If you are looking to join a guild I would wait until after launch and go solo for a while. Get a feel for what you really like doing and the kind of people you like to play with. Join pick up groups (PUGs) and fill in for guilds that have some open spots just to interact with the people. After you find out what you like and who you like from PUGs find a guild that meets your interests.
  8. Prof. Walrus

Prof. Walrus Cupcake

I believe a guild should be like a group of friends, or family. We at Titan don't focus solely on one game, nor do we disband after said game. The Titan community has over 20 years of guild experience, although under different names. We're focussing at Wildstar and EverquestNext at the moment and our community ranges from PvPers to PvE-ers to crafters, gatherers or explorers. Every nationality, playstyle, race, gender or species is welcome, as long as you're 18+. A lot of our current members are actually 30+ and have a social life outside the guild :O (No, I did not know there was such a thing ;))

If you're interested, come check us out at www.titan-guild.com!
  9. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

Think its a very easy one to answer, it can almost never be to early but it definitely can be to late!

If you wait till the game is out, while it may then be easier to recruit you will have no base, so start now if you want to build a guild, it does not matter if you don't recruit a soul it will get your name (guild name) out there.

Just be sure you willing to put in the work, as it does take quite bit of work to get a guild running successfully.

Either way good luck!
  10. Carebear Commander

Carebear Commander Cupcake-About-Town

Like Ico, I think established guilds can begin recruiting anytime they want. I also think new guilds should postpone recruiting until the game launches. New guilds should play the game in order to establish their reputation.