1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Who will have the highest DPS?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by DemonBox, Nov 16, 2013.

1. DemonBox

DemonBox New Cupcake

Among the 4 announced classes, it looks like the Spellslinger and the Esper will have the upper hand in the DPS department. I am deffenitly not a FOTM person, and im rolling a cassian esper no matter what. But of the two who will have the highest?
  2. Kiekura

Kiekura New Cupcake

They have said that light armor type classes will deal more damage.
    So Esper/Spellslinger at this moment.
  3. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

Not sure how anyone can be expected to provide an accurate answer at this stage in the game's development. Or why it matters, if it's irrelevant to your choice of class.

Of course, there's also the fact that the two classes deal damage differently, so what excels in one fight might fall behind the next. But I'm bored and have nothing better to do, so I'll say Spellslinger.
    Tribe likes this.
  4. NabeShogun

NabeShogun Cupcake

I'd probably say spellslinger just because they said esper is burst dps/healing ... so I'd imagine a spellslinger might be more sustained ... then on the other hand they said the spellslinger was more mobile/kiting rather than nuking , meh ... mordesh/granok can't be espers and spellslingers look a little dull so I'm not fussed ...
    AreoBB likes this.
  5. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Honestly? After seeing class play from both (barring the spellslinger rereveal) I would have to say the spellslinger.

Why? Mostly because the Spellslinger seems more built to attack on the move rather than the esper. I don't think that I have seen enough of the support and healing of the two classes right now to see how they would improve the overall survival. The Esper has a few more powers that root? Thus allowing foes to close to melee (danger! danger!) range. Yet if I have support and utility that I can use on myself to counteract that root, then it would be an acceptable tradeoff. One thing I did notice in the gameplay in livestream is that a lot of abilities have long recharges. That sort of counteracts the ability to counter the rooting if it's too long or it requires you to take more support.

Overall, I'm a little concerned. In the esper livestream, the Esper was level 20, and was pretty routinely getting squished or almost so by NPCs level 18 to 19. Though it was still fun to watch the esper squish the warrior in the duel.

In the end, as they said on the video, the Esper has a lot more abilities that root the player. I guess timing abilities with longer roots by using a crowd control on your target first will be important.
  6. AreoBB

AreoBB New Cupcake

Interesting. I know they said at one point that they felt the Spellslinger was more of a kiting class, so I assume they'll have access to their fair share of snares.

To answer the original question, it's a bit too early to say, but I would love to conjecture based on what I've heard :) They seem to really be pushing the idea of Esper as a spike class, so while the Esper might not be able to sustain things long term, you'll see instances of big spikes when their abilities line up correctly. On the other hand, classes like the Stalker and Spellslinger have longer, more sustained damage capabilities. So short fights, Esper may have the advantage dps-wise, whereas longer fights will tilt more in the favor of the Stalker/Spellslinger.
  7. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

I think between Esper and Spellslinger it will depend on the player because they've said the ones with the light armor (Spellslinger&Esper) Have the highest DPS.. So yeh.. they should be even but if one is a better player or using a better skill rotation.. Mhm..
    [​IMG]
    Mordesh Spellslinger babeh ♥
  8. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Granted we don't have the spellslinger re-reveal yet, but.....

Let's call the Esper "Bursty". Meaning that they have a number of very powerful attacks, but have a long recharge. Another side effect being that many of these abilities also root the character, but let's ignore that for now.

Let's call the Spellslinger "Kitey". Meaning that medium damage attacks that recharge fairly quickly compared to the Esper's.

With this the recharge time for the ability is the factor. It's not too much a stretch to imagine Amp Tiers and pieces of gear that reduce this cooldown. So from that perspective, a DPS Esper properly equipped could out damage a spellslinger. At the same time, a spellslinger likewise equipped can balance things out again. In the early game the Esper may lack sustained damage, but be all bursty. The bursty part, the is the gap between high damage cycles as abilities recharge, can grow a lot shorter at the higher level.

In the end I think it leans towards playstyle. Esper has many abilities that root, but hit hard. The Spellslinger is run and gun. Esper may have more AoE (That is, big circle telegraphs). The spellsinger has a lot of line telegraphs (again, barring spellslinger re-reveal).
  9. Kujaix

Kujaix New Cupcake

I doubt any class with consistently top charts unless bosses vary less in strategy than they have told us. Meaning either melee or range gets shafted in fights. Dealing more damage is not the same as dealing more DPS. There is so much movement warriors(or engi's) could end up doing the most dps with the right build if they can sustain it longer by not having to move around as much.
  10. Brox

Brox New Cupcake

Eh, I'm not a big fan of the lighter armored classes having more damage than the heavier armored classes. The tradeoff for the passive survivability of heavy armor should be control, not damage potential. Having a large variance in damage potential is not going to end up sitting well with the player base, I can almost certainly guarantee that. Instead, I would rather see the tradeoff being made with either cc or utility spells.
  11. Furor Tuetonicus

Furor Tuetonicus Cupcake-About-Town

They haven't mentioned the level of variance at all. So it may be as little as a 1%-5% variance.

Furthermore, it is almost guaranteed to be a variance in potential damage output, rather than an innate increase in damage output. So it will still require a specific level of skill to wring the most out of a class.

The logic here is that if a class has better passive damage mitigation then it has a larger window of "optimal" DPS and is more likely to reach higher into its potential damage threshold than a squishier class that has a much smaller set of optimal parameters in which in can maintain that level of DPS while staying alive.
  12. Brox

Brox New Cupcake

I understand your sentiment completely, because damage across all the classes will never be 100% balanced, no matter how much effort they put into it. There is still much to be learned in this regard, and there will also obviously be different parameters based on either a pve or pvp perspective. I just have a hard time seeing a warrior who is fully specced into assault, and also in their assault stance, having much more passive mitigation than a lighter armored class. Fully specced into assault, I am just hoping the variance between classes is negligible, and skill is the deciding factor on performance, all other things being equal. However, as stated earilier, we still have MUCH to learn before any kind of reasonable conclusion can be reached.
  13. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Except all other things are not equal; armor mitigation is not equal across all classes.
    If you want the damage output to be equal amongst the classes then armor mitigation should be equal amongst the classes; this is an RPG norm. But W* like many RPGs has a variance in armor mitigation, and like all RPGs that I have played that have armor variance, it has a damage variance that is inversely proportional to armor variance.

I’m having a hard time understanding why this is so hard to grasp.
  14. Brox

Brox New Cupcake

To be clear, I am speaking from a PVE perspective, as I do not pvp quite as much. And please stop referring to what other MMOs may have done in the past with reference to the armor mitigation variance in relation to damage variance. I have said multiple times already that I would like to see the trade off for the passive survivability not be damage, but perhaps something else such as greater CC or more utility. I do not quite understand why it is so hard for you to grasp what I am referring to.

We will all just have to wait and see how Carbine handles this and respond accordingly, since we know nearly nothing about how the classes will interact in a raid environment in terms of buffs, debuffs, mechanics, etc.
  15. Jeuraud

I said nothing about PvP/PvE, nor do I understand why the armor mitigation- damage output rules would change for content, after all armor mitigation does not change because you’re doing a Raid.
    What I did reference was RPGs; I did so because W* is a RPG, and from what the Devs have told us they are following the standard rules of an RPG when it comes to armor mitigation. You not liking these rules does not negate them.

I happen to like these rules, which kind of negates your opinion of these rules, in this conversation, so you’re going to need to bring more than your opinion to this conversation to get the Devs to change their opinion.
  16. Sarigar

Sarigar Cupcake

I'm going out on a limb and saying that the class that deals the most damage in the shortest amount of time will have the highest DPS.
  17. Furor Tuetonicus

Furor Tuetonicus Cupcake-About-Town

**MIND BLOWN**

All facetiousness aside, it is far too early to be discussing damage output even on a theoretical level. It is very obvious that the team at Carbine is putting a lot of thought into this issue and are relying on relatively simple rules to keep class balance in check.

If you look at what WoW is doing for tanks in the upcoming expansion, even the normally eldritch runes that the Blizzard design team uses for mitigation and damage rules are simplifying. I think it is evidence that developers are grasping the idea that simple game mechanics are not bad, and that complex mechanics require far too much work to maintain and balance.

What we'll be seeing are simpler game mechanics systems, with elegant class designs providing the complexity in game play that modern gamers want.
  18. Brox

Brox New Cupcake

You liking these rules doesn't negate anything about my opinion. I respect that you like them, to each their own. This is simply a conversation based on wild damage imbalances I have experienced in other mmos I have played, which I would hate to see take place in this game as well. It is not very fun to be terribly hindered in damage because you chose a heavy armor class due to it fitting your playstyle more than the light armored classes. However, like I already stated, it is far to early to tell how everything will work until we learn about all the mechanics players will encounter in a raid, and the tools each class will bring to the table.

Also, you failed to read that I have brought more than just my opinion to this discussion. There are other elements that can work as a trade off for passive mitigation differences other than damage potential. One interesting pve mechanic I was thinking over was the interrupt armor mechanic they mentioned in the livestream. They were explaining how some mobs will have stacks of this "interrupt armor" and members of the group will have to coordinate CCs on the mob in order to burn through these stacks in order to then have the mob be affected by a CC. Something cool or interesting, would be having light armor classes perhaps having access to an AMP that allows their CCs to burn through 2 stacks of the interrupt armor, but it can not occur more than once every 6 seconds, or something like that.

These are the kinds of trade offs I would like to see for the passive mitigation, not damage potential. I just feel utility or CC would be better. I will wait to see what Carbine has in store for us though, and I look forward to playing the game they come up with.
  19. Jeuraud

You would trade the damage advantage that light armor has over heavier armors for an ability that is only useful against MOBs with Interrupt Armor. This will make the heavy armor classes the go to classes for all content, because they will have better armor mitigation but equal damage to the light armors, and will still be able to CC interrupt armor when it is necessary to interrupt armor (Just not as easily.)… unless you are also planning on taking the CCs away from the heavy armor classes.
  20. Cowboy

Cowboy Cupcake-About-Town

I'm going to have the highest DPS