1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Who's your favorite pony?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Celtkhan, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

Mine should be obvious by now. ;)

What's not so obvious is why. I've always been a nerd, and like most nerds, I developed an early antipathy for the "fight over a sac of leather" crowd. One would think Rainbow Dash would be exactly the character archetype that would turn me off.

But she doesn't. She's hypercompetitive, supremely self-confident, utterly loyal, unafraid of working hard, and utterly fearless. All qualities that I value highly. She can also succumb to hubris, even arrogance, self-absorption and thoughtlessness. Flaws that I can, sadly, sympathize with all too well.

Twilight Sparkle's definitely my second favorite, as her nature (nerd!) is so like my own, but I feel a kinship with RD because her personality is so like my own.

So, who's yours and why?
    InnocentCivilian and Evion like this.
  2. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

Yaaaay, a fellow RD fan! :D I like her for a lot of the same reasons you do. I have a tendency to like the strong-willed and confident girl characters that tend towards the tomboy style. I know there's many who dislike her for her lack of sensitivity or posturing, but I see those as flaws that she's working on growing out of. She embodies a lot of qualities that I really admire and aspire to achieve in my own behavior: self-confidence, outspoken, and physically active.

My second favorite is Applejack. She's appealing because she's a great example of a Good Person, someone loyal and self-sacrificing, and very family oriented. I could probably draw a lot of parallels between her personality and one of my main character concepts for Wildstar. Her downside is she does tend to be a bit more boring in some ways, seemingly having fewer flaws to deal with. Still, I sympathize with her stubbornness and need to be self-reliant/independent, to the point of self-harm. I've run into the problem of only asking for help when things start blowing up in my face. XP

I'd like to add that I really enjoy RD's&AJ's friendly rivalry. ;)
    InnocentCivilian likes this.
  3. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Darn you, Evion! I was going to say Rainbow Dash / Applejack, too! :mad:

Rainbow Dash I like because, let's face it, she's a pretty awesome interpretation of the tomboy archetype. Plus she earned like major points for 'favourite pony' in 'Sleepless in Ponyville'. :p

But Applejack is also a character I like a lot just because she has a lot of traits that I admire (you know, for a cartoon pony). Unlike Evion, I'm sad to admit that I don't have too much in similar with her, but I'm working on it. ;) Plus Applejack's pretty much an Exile in spirit :p.

Regarding Applejack having fewer problems to deal with; I thought it was really funny how for The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000, the 'moral' of the episode was just reaffirming stuff she already knew as opposed to her learning a lesson. Applejack OP. :p
    Evion likes this.
  4. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

My Little WildStar: Nexus is Magic

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

Pinkie Pie, because she's Pinkie Pie. She's insane, she's fun, and the one thing that matters to her most is to make people smile. (Come on everypony, smile smile smile! Fill my heart up with sunshine, sunshine!) She also suffers from innocent insensitivity and obstructive obliviousness, two things I suffer along with being incredibly hyper and very "out there." That, and cotton candy mane and tail.

Plus she's REALLY hot.

It's a real toss-up for me on who's second best. My never-see-the-light-of-day WIPS almost always involve Fluttershy, but that's in conjunction with Gilda, who is not a pony. There's also Trixie, but she's also paired with another (Twilight) to make it work. Rarity is FABULOUS and a very strong, very mature "woman" character and an artist besides, Applejack is low on my radar but I can't deny her awesomeness so...

I'll have to go with Rainbow Dash. Rainbow mane and tail, Sonic Rainboom, the most adorable "Squees!" in the series (beating Fluttershy, in fact) so... yeah, Rainbow Dash.
  5. Packetdancer

Packetdancer Addon Cupcake

My little Exiles, my little Exiles, aaaaaaa
    My little Exiles,
    We used to be stuck in a ragtag fleet
    My little Exiles,
    Now there's a new world under our feet!
    Kill some critters, build a town,
    Space for more ships to come on down.
    Hold off Dommies, take a stand,
    And learn the Eldan master plan!
    Oh yeah my little Exiles,
    'Cause Nexus is a home we can hold!
  6. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Ahhh... :cry: Any time anyone mentions MLP, I get so confused. When it started getting popular, I decided I would force myself to watch all the episodes of season one online. I watch through every single episode, and I still couldn't figure it out! Why is it so big? I don't know! D: I was waiting and waiting, and I kept thinking something great would happen in the next episode, but the magic never came. There was no magic in My Little Pony for me. :(

Now, as a kid, I really loved the original My Little Pony show! I even had my own pony dolls and toys. But...I was also a kid. :roflamo: And that show was completely different (from what I can recall) and had some darker elements.

I'm not here to say, "Bahh, all you people are crazy!" :laugh: I just want, so badly, to understand! I've been trying to for awhile now, and I seriously cannot figure it out. Why is this show so popular? I don't know... XD I watched it all, and I just thought it seemed like decent show for kids. That's it. I feel like I'm missing the punchline, like something isn't clicking for me like it is for apparently everyone else. Am I alone in this feeling? Am I the only one lost? :oops:

Anyway, since I have watched this show, I can say that if I must choose a pony that I liked most, it would be Rainbow Dash because she can fly, and she's cool in that I-do-what-I-want-even-though-it-may-not-be-girly type of way. :]
  7. ruff_ethereal

You're not alone. There are plenty of people in your situation. And it's okay. MLP: FiM doesn't appeal to everyone.

Personally, the magic of FiM for me is my favourite pony: Pinkie Pie. The sheer amount cartoony insanity she does is the real hook for me. The second is all the Shipping (magical colourful lesbian ponies, yay!), particularly the GildaShy fanfiction I keep writing but never get around to finishing. The third would have to be the sheer amount of fan content. Uninspired by the show? Check out the community; we have plenty of awesome there to suit many tastes. (My favourite aspect is best not talked about in polite company.)
  8. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

I think this raises more questions than it answers.
  9. ruff_ethereal

Yes. Yes it does.
  10. Zerdav

Zerdav Cupcake-About-Town

Fluttershy, Rarity a close second.
  11. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

lol I think so. I never realized guys were bronies because of...um, sexualish reasons? XD

Oh, and I wanted to comment again, because Zerdav's reply made me remember Fluttershy, and I'd like to change my answer. (It has been awhile since I watched the show.) I liked her best when I watched it, because she completely reminded me of myself - shy, nice, and loves animals. :3
  12. Celtkhan

I'm not. Honestly, I don't understand the shippers (and the cloppers can diaf, as far as I'm concerned). With any fandom, though, you're going to have the Rule 34 minority.

For me, one of the main appeals of the show is an almost complete lack of romantic slant. Too many shows aimed at young girls fall into the Prince Charming mythos: grow up, get married, live happily ever after. Even if Prince Charming allows/encourages independence, it's still this idea of being defined by your relationship with another. MLP:FIM almost completely ignores this dynamic; with the exception of A Canterlot Wedding and Hearts and Hooves Day, almost none of the ponies show the least interest in pairing up.

Well, except Rarity in S1. She spent the entire season plotting to ambush Prince Blueblood, and when she finally meets him, he turns out to be a self-absorbed, overbred boor. Ever since, though, she's shown little interest in the subject.

I tried to quantify why I do like the show, though, and I can't. It's just pure joy. I get much the same feeling from watching Bob Ross; I suspect I should feel annoyed or put off by his cutesiness, but he's just pure prozac with a fro.

Part of it is the music is so well-crafted. I can hum Winter Wrapup for days without getting tired of it. Same with Smile Smile Smile or Life in Ponyville. Normally, earworms get tiresome after a few hours, and aggravating after a few days, but I've never had that problem with MLP songs. If I do want something different, then I just pick another because they're all catchy.

Mainly, though, I think it's how well-crafted the entire show is. The characters are not flat archetypes, but fully fleshed out personalities, with flaws that are believable and persistent. In too many shows, flaws are tacked-on plot devices that get resolved after a minor crisis and a stern talking-to. Not so in Ponyville; Rainbow Dash has been dealing with her ego for more than two seasons and, while you can see progress, it still trips her up. Same with AJ's stubbornness.

Because of its attention to detail, you can go as deep or shallow as you like. You can see it as a simplistic children's show, use it as a vehicle for writing fanfic, or go even further. I spent about ten hours writing a literary analysis of the S3 finale, and I still consider it a rough draft. I might even finish it, someday.
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  13. Zerdav

Zerdav Cupcake-About-Town

^this is why I watch
  14. Celtkhan

I also ascribe to the theory that "bad fanfic" is redundant and "good fanfic" is a contradiction in terms, so I tend to avoid it. I know there are exceptions, and I hear a lot of good about the Fallout: Equestria series, but I really hate trawling through dreck to find the few gems.

However, two fan creation types I really enjoy from the bronies is the fanart and the music. I get my fanart fix from Equestria Daily, since they're kind enough to filter the themes I'd rather avoid. They also collect the music really nicely.

So far, my favorite musicians on Youtube are:
    PonyEveningStar
    TheDashDub
    MelodicPony
    DJTwitchMusic
    VivaceCapriccioso
    SimGretina

Twitch and Sim tend to do techno remixes; Vivace and Melodic do absolutely beautiful orchestral renditions of the show music. Highly recommend the Cello Duet cover of Love Is In Bloom.

And no mention of pony music would be complete without Lullaby For A Princess.
  15. Fluttershy

Fluttershy New Cupcake

Well, I think that I am the best... I mean, if that's okay with the rest of you...
  16. imrevned

imrevned Cupcake

Does Li'l Sebastian count?
  17. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Like Fate I have watched the show and I just seem to have missed the hook, it struck me as a well made, well written show for it's target demographic and was charming, but I didn't really connect with it. Brony culture kind of throws me for a loop as well, I did myself a favor and watched a good documentary on the subject: Bronies, the Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony before I really formed any lasting opinions. I wasn't really into MLP as a child either, just one of those many tv show / toy combinations that I missed out on in favor of others.

I guess I like Rainbow Dash the most, strong female characters appeal to me and I like her tomboy nature and flawed personality, makes her less of a single-minded cardboard cutout.

Also John DeLancie.
  18. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

Dr. Cogsdale.
    [​IMG]
    -Rachel-
    Alenaar likes this.
  19. zero11729

zero11729 New Cupcake

aj for the win

Attached Files:

20. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

which ever one makes my microwave lasagne taste good....