1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why are the Exiles Considered the "Good" team, again?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by MrJayBob, Jul 15, 2013.

?

So, Are the Exiles Good, or do they just want War?

1. Good

40.7%
  2. Rebels

59.3%
  1. MrJayBob

MrJayBob New Cupcake

I'm bit of a lore buff, and Wildstar is the first lore I can get really passionate about (probably because I've been following the game since 2011). But after reviewing the races lore and various other thing of each faction, How are the Exiles considered the "good" guys? and I think that is mostly due to most people not really caring about the lore and going by face value.

Starting off with the Exile Humans: a Top Officer of the Dominion leads a Rebellion against his own people for the horrible actions the Government has made, namely the Emperor (who we can only speculate was) Vorios, The False. he leads a team, steal a prized ship (again, speculation being it was named after the First Emperor of the Dominion) and attacks the Dominion, which is admirable but they took on WAY more then they could chew, and not being able to finish a fight they started, and end up having to flee. now they got they a Pissed Off Tyrant chasing them, after, once again, went rogue, stole a prized ship, attack his forces, and ran.

now along the way they obviously hooked up with the Granok and then ran into the Aurins, but Aurins First and Granok last in this case.

So with that Aurins: they help a bunch of Travelers, being the Exiles (which its unclear if the Aurins knew if they were wanted or not), by giving them supplies and once again, the exiles move along, not long after the dominion shows up, realized the aurin helped the exiles, and as such, labeled them as traitors as well and Ravage their planet which the exiles come back to save the aurins but...its like "Hey thanks for saving us...but all of this could've been avoided if you left us alone!" and pulled them into their war. I'm Surprised the Aurins aren't Horribly racist against Humans as a Whole.

and then the Granok: short and sweet, the granok started the war with the Dominion. Mechari Ambassador came on behalf of the emperor several hundreds ago, offering Knowledge and Technology to the Granok if they joined the Dominion, they replied by attacking the mechari Ambassadors, which obviously angered the Emperor and starting a war with the Dominion. the Granok later won the war by stealing from the Dominion (much like the exile humans) but they finished the fight and saved their people but betrayed their culture and turned to mercenary work.

now on the Dominion side of things, they are Civilized at home but merciless on the frontline. and they started and finished a proper Rebellion against the Tyrant, lead by the Current Emperor, Myrcalus The Vindicator. and the Dominion brought several races into the Dominion by offering them a place, and not forcing them (as far as we know, otherwise their would be more races with a false sense of Oppression)

with Draken, Azrion defeated the Clanlord Zhur in an Honorable Duel to have the Draken join the Dominion, which was using Draken "politics".

Now, with Vorios Removed, doesn't remove him from the Dominion's History, but they learn from it, to lead properly. the Dominion has become the beacon of light it seems for the Galaxy, once again

with the exiles.....all I See, is a group of outlaws, who involve other races into their fight, by bringing trouble with them, or by starting it themselves, because there was no issue with the Dominion, till around 300 years ago. Not to Mention that the Granok's Hatred for the dominion is Completely Unjust

not going into mechari cause..well...their purpose now a days is to serve the Dominion and give guidance while taking out traitors and those who would seek to destroy the Dominion, rather then being messengers.

and obviously reason I can't delve into the last 2 races beyond pure speculation till Friday

all this is mostly from the Wildstar homepage, being various lore on the races and factions, and a little bit from an interview with Chad Moore, basicly the Lore Guy for Carbine.

Love to hear others thoughts, I highly Recommend going through each races lore before commenting to get a more less bias opinion on the factions.

Additional Thought: What happens to the Exiles if they were to win and Shatter the Dominion? would they stay together or fall apart? since their alliance in entirely based against the Dominion
  2. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

The Devs have stated they want both sides to be steeped in grey, so there are no good guys or bad guys ... just guys doing what they think is right.
  3. MrJayBob

MrJayBob New Cupcake

I'm well aware but...even though Carbine has said that...it just doesn't show up on paper, it just appears that the Exile Create Problems, while the Dominion also Cause Problems, but Also Fixes their Mistakes
  4. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

It's easier to see a galactic empire as evil. That's most of it. Exiles are largely a result of the Dominion's oppressive actions, thus the aggressor and thus evil force is seen as the Dominion. This is a logical conclusion to draw, but obviously doesn't do the whole faction justice.

I do have a problem with your poll on the Exiles because it can go both ways. The Exiles can't be anarchists (close, but not exactly), because being a faction implies some form of governing system is in place. The Exiles stand no chance against anyone without some structure in place, and we know they do have it.

The Dominion is nice to those who comply and <REDACTED>s to those who don't. A lot of autocracies work that way. The Dominion is the same way. There are a lot of people IRL who find support, comfort, and trust in such an expansive governmental body, so for them, life is ideal. Obviously Exiles are those who fell outside of the Dominion's law, whether through bad luck (aurin), civil war (humans), and invasion (granok). The rest are, as you said, outlaws from other societies who've found refuge in the Exiles or mercenaries who enjoy the added support the Exiles give them.

As others have said, the factions are meant to have elements of gray. Exiles will be darkened by harboring outlaws and exiles (lolpuns) and resorting to espionage tactics in order to survive. The Dominion will be lightened by providing for those without and protecting their satellite factions.
    kaimarshall, SiegaPlays and CptElendi like this.
  5. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

There have been a lot of ...'discussions'...on the forums and some of them have been very .....'emotional'.... about which side is the good guys and which is the bad. I think it's kind of good because it's a good indicator of how Carbine has managed to make neither one exactly clear-cut as good or bad and keeping both in the grey. They didn't do anything blatantly obvious by having the Dominion or Exiles put kittens in sacks and fire the from cannons.
    AimLock likes this.
  6. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

Agreed with Domi. And it's also one of my biggest frustrations with City of Heroes: Going Rogue.

Instead of having lots of grey it was "The villains are in charge!"

-Rachel-
    Apostate likes this.
  7. Domi Dayglow

It's also a reason that I'm looking forward to Wednesday and the new race reveal for the Exiles. In another thread it was pointed out that the Mechari are the Dominion's "go to" option when really dirty work needs to be done. Meanwhile the Chua are the Dominion's "cute and furry but crazy" version of the Exile aurins.

So! the Exile Redactoids (only 1 more day until they have a real name!) are likely to be the Exile's "Go to" option for their dirty work.
  8. Steampunkette

Nope! Won't be revealed until Friday, the 19th.

[​IMG]

-Rachel-
  9. Domi Dayglow

Oh.....

Curse you calendar. You win again.
    Chim, They and Zerdav like this.
  10. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

Well, sure. They've almost set up a scifi Isreal vs. Palestine :) In the end, no one's right, both sides have valid points, and neither side is going to back down. You can steep any argument for the "good side" with the right amount of biased language and facts; I could do an argument for either faction being the bad guys, or the good guys pretty easily.
  11. Iamaom

Iamaom New Cupcake

They've done a horrible job so far, just look at the faction introduction videos.

Exile: Cute southern red-head with a rough and tumble, go getter attitude trying to stop the Dominion from invading their new home.

Dominion: Posh British gentleman with wine and baroque music in the background, talking about brutal assault on other planets and squashing all rebellion, and to top it all off breaks his glass in anger at the end.
    Destian likes this.
  12. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Thank God for the people here who know more about the factions then just some video :p
    Lorewise they've did a mighty fine job :up:

And we've yet to see the ''new races'' video. The Redactzoids can change your entire view on the Exiles, and so can the Chua :D

Also in the video one can assume the Exiles aren't that ''good'' from seeing some zombie/regenerative sleeping hub. It all depends on how you look at it.

Also do you really think the red head girl in the video is cute? I find her rather obnoxius and when she can't express herself with words she uses her fists....But again it all depends how you look at it.
  13. Kasern

Kasern Cupcake

But didn't you just want to punch her teeth in?
  14. Steampunkette

I wanted to get her something to eat and go bra shopping with her. Her twig like body wouldn't be able to sustain those things long without a lot of back support and she needed something to eat, badly.

-Rachel-
    Destian, Chim and Apostate like this.
  15. Sweetloaf

Sweetloaf Cupcake

She reminded me of Jesse from Toy Story. Toy Story = Good; therefore, The Exiles = Good.

So far nothing about the Dominion oozes positive in my eyes. Seems like your run-of-the-mill Imperial rule, while good for those willing to be good little boys and girls, is generally pretty harsh on dissenters.

As for the Granok, they have every right to hate the Dominion. The Mechari Ambassadors insulted their culture and then alluded to a hostile take-over.

Edit: Also, if my experiences with Posh folk is any indicator, rowdy outlaws always throw better parties.
  16. Iamaom

Iamaom New Cupcake

Sounds like someone here is a racist.:rolleyes:

Yes.
  17. Domi Dayglow

I know! It's because the mean old Dominion took all her food.

Dominion parties consist of ballrooms and grand gallerias with fine music and mechari waiters in crisp suits.

Exile parties consist of granok beer and explosives!

I'm beginning to feel that the whole Dominion vs. Exile thing is less about good vs.. bad and more about Order vs. Chaos.
    Apostate likes this.
  18. Steampunkette

19. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

Well said. Each faction has its own "ends justify the means" philosophy, they just have opposing definitions of the ends versus the means. To the Dominion, galactic stability is more important than the sanctity of individual lives. To the Exiles, it's the other way around. Both have their own reasons for thinking so, I'd imagine.

It's a dichotomy I like, because it plays on one of the more fundamental ethical dilemmas out there. The kind that people can debate over for a week or more just to find themselves back where they started.

The only thing I dislike in the equation is all the people who immediately go, "Scruffy underdog! He must be the good guy! *gasp* Nasty rich guy! He's clearly the villain! Everyone, I figured it out! THIS WRITING LACKS SUBTLETY!"

It's conditioning by modern fiction, we live in the long shadow cast by the likes of Horatio Alger, so it's natural to a certain extent. I just find it increasingly difficult to keep from reminding people that those evil, evil imperialists are the primary agency responsible for bringing us... you know... the modern world.
    Chim likes this.
  20. ScruffyHealer

ScruffyHealer Cupcake

We know that some Cassians, that didn't like the Dominion policies, started protesting. The Dominion turned weapons on them. Serrick Brihtland was all like "F this, I ain't shooting my own people!", so he took his own warship and attacked the Dominion fleet. Unfortunately, the Dominion military was too strong so he was left with only 2 options, flee or die. Naturally, he chose to flee, who wouldn't?

This line of text "Appreciating their good-natured independence, the Aurin welcomed the humans into their forest homes" makes me believe that the Aurin knew what was going on with the humans and they still decided to help them. The humans took precautions in order to hide their trace and they quickly moved on once they got their supplies, they didn't want the Aurin to get hurt because of them. Unfortunately, the Dominion was too smart for them, they tracked them, discovered that the Aurin helped them and then the Dominion decided to basically rape Arboria. The Aurin asked their new friends, the humans, for help. If the humans weren't kind-hearted, they could have easily ignored their cry for help and just continued to run away from the Dominion, but they didn't. They made a daring plan, they were like "Yo, Granok mercenaries, you hate the Dominion as well, right? Help us save our friends, we will pay you (they are mercenaries after all)". Together they saved the Aurin, what's left of them at least and then decided to stay together to defeat their common enemy, the Dominion. After all, they were much stronger now that they were a joined force of rebel humans, Aurin and mercenary Granok so it seems reasonable to join forces and form the Exiles.

While the Granok actions may have been a bit harsh, I believe, if they had refused the Dominions offer, they would have been forcefully assimilated into the Dominion. How is that any different than the Borg in the Star Trek series? Do you view them as good? Forcing people to become a part of your empire to perfect it is not good or even neutral. The Granok that fought back by not following traditions were exiled. I don't know what tradition they didn't follow, maybe it was the technology and weapons that they stole but it was probably the same tradition that made them refuse the Dominions offer in the first place.

Lets recap what the Dominion have done, shall we?

They turned their weapons on their own people, they raped a planet, they tried to assimilate the Granok. Doesn't sound too good, does it? I don't care what they think is right, you just don't go around threatening entire races and planets in order to expand your own empire. They are doing the same thing that the Eldan did when they first contacted them, they only give two choices: join us or die.

The Mechari were sent to help expand the Cassian empire, and even they don't know for what reason. These clueless robots are following orders and the power hungry Cassian sheeple are just blindly following them and they don't even know why.

I believe that the Eldan might have been preparing the galaxy for some horrible evil by using the Cassians to form a mighty empire. This still doesn't justify the Dominions actions, no reason to use violence. Until I find out otherwise, I choose to believe that the Dominion people are merely power hungry pawns in something that they don't even understand and their methods are wrong wrong wrong.

To conclude, I think the Exiles are good and the Dominion is bad. Sorry, I just don't see the gray bs that Carbine is talking about. I don't know why they keep saying that when the "Meet the..." videos are clearly trying to portray them this way.

I'm not a native English speaker so this all might look like gibberish, sorry.
    ArdentSun, Split_Light and Shaigh like this.