1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why are the Exiles Considered the "Good" team, again?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by MrJayBob, Jul 15, 2013.

?

So, Are the Exiles Good, or do they just want War?

1. Good

40.7%
  2. Rebels

59.3%
  1. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

But was it a mission? They almost forced her!

And after that they didn't want the Cassians to come near Nexus ever again! (Hence why the swordmaiden never returned to Cassus. Assumption).
  2. kaimarshall

kaimarshall Cupcake-About-Town

The mission wasn't for the sword-maiden, but for the Mechari instead. I wasn't the one who said it was for the Cassians, was I?
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

......:confused:

I agree that the Mechari had the mission to get the strongest/most suitable contester for the hybrid selection procedure.

But my first post was me commenting on someone who said that the Eldan had given the entire ''Dominion'' the mission to come search for them (and you went against that post...so I thought you thought she was right).

While the Mechari we talk about, were not yet part of the Dominion (Dominion only started after Dominus established it).

See why I went against her post?
  4. Tiiria

Tiiria Cupcake

Okay, to clarify, the Eldan saw the Cassians, told the Mechari to go get them and they, together, would return to Nexus. Ultimately, the Eldan were the source of the mission. And I was referring to the Dominion being the Cassians, because at the time, that's who they were.

I had to go to class and a lot happened in this thread. o_e
    kaimarshall likes this.
  5. MrJayBob

MrJayBob New Cupcake

there was never a mission to find nexus or search for the Eldan. Mechari were doing their job as the Eldan Servants for Observation and Messengers and Found the Sword-Maiden, threaten to take her back to nexus so they could put a bun in her oven or destroy their race if she refused.

From what I understand, Dominus returned to Cassus at Age 22. his only "mission" would be to Form the Dominion to lead and govern the galaxy. which seems odd that the Cassians just get all profit, but if you read my previous, Chad Moore stated in a interview a while back that the Eldan are most likely all Dead, and that there is a greater darker evil coming (REAPERS! http://inception.davepedu.com/). Which is most likely why the Dominion was formed in the first place.

Very little was known to Dominion about Nexus other than it exists, no idea of where it was or even a trail to find it, and as Extatica pointed out, it was "Found" purely by luck with the planet Defense System breaking down (Which btw is a zone that had been featured back at pax, called the "Halon Ring")
    Extatica likes this.
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well that's why I got confused. Since the Cassians (Pre Dominus), are (lore-wise) not the Dominion.

The Dominion only started at 0 AE
    While the Swordmaiden got taken to them in the year of 32 BE

See the big differences?

I responded with:
    But I totally forgot to mention that the time says that from the moment the swordmaiden was taken and the time when Dominus came to Cassus was 32 years apart.
    I don't think so where has he been those years?

Add this to my precious responce and i'm 99% sure he got influenced by the Eldan.

OMG you really read my messages? All of them?
  7. Tiiria

Tiiria Cupcake

Yeah, my bad, misused terminology.

OH! I guess I misunderstood. They only took the swordmaiden and some of her guards or something.
  8. Destian

Destian Cupcake-About-Town

This.

I had zero idea they were even TRYING to not make the Dominion the bad guys...

If they wanted to make them sympathetic, they should've had what's-his-face talk about how the Dominion needs resources from the planet to keep the empire running, including keeping its citizens fed, at least giving us something about how "the ends justify the means".

Instead, he was basically like "We're evil. What of it?"
  9. snowLeopard

snowLeopard New Cupcake

Yep. As I said before, I read the lore first and I was thinking: "Those Exiles are just a bunch of <REDACTED>" And then I watched the introductions...
    But then videos show that exiles aren't exactly sharpest knife in the drawer, so perhaps there was an ulterior motive..
  10. Mierelle

Mierelle Cupcake-About-Town

This rather comes down to whom the the characters are talking to. The Dominion video is more like a press conference to their people who already give them their support, while the Exiles is more like a rallying propaganda in order to get more people to join in the rebellion against the Dominion.

I think the biggest reason why Dominion is seen as the "Evil Faction" is the Red Coats vs. Blue, added the british accent builds up the Hollywood blockbuster villain.
  11. Nick799

Nick799 New Cupcake

Gotta give you credit you were the only one stopping this from being a exile fanboy thread, was a good read until people started to attack you for making discussion.
  12. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Say whut?
    And no credits to those who tried to make it into a Dominion thread? :(
  13. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

I think its because of how the Dominion acts, But also I think its human nature to assign the big empire the status of being evil. Of course they did strip mine the Aurin homeworld just because they helped the exiles and that is certainly rather extreme.

But I think once we can play the retail version and dive into the lore storyline quests I get the feeling we will find that Exile and Dominion are exactly like the Alliance and Horde of WoW, On passing glance we assign good and evil. However once you start digging you will find out they both had to replace their closets with a TARDIS because of all the skeletons they have to hide.
    Tiiria likes this.
  14. Tiiria

Tiiria Cupcake

I don't think what the Dominion did to the Aurins was THAT extreme. They did need resources, and as soon as the Aurins helped the Exiles, they picked a side in the war. It's like saying that when the US bombed Japan in World War II it was extreme. Immoral, yes, but ultimately it ended a war that would have gone on way longer and taken way more lives from both sides. Even Japanese soldiers from the time admit that. The weren't doing Nazi-style <REDACTED> and just blaming someone for something they DIDN'T do and stupidly, horribly enslaving and eradicating several groups of people. Just takin' their resources. I guess even more analogous to the more recent situation with the Middle East. It's all about the oil. And, ya know, as a side note, the terrorism. ;P IRL I'm against violence in general, but I can see the reasons for it. And in-game the violence is the fun part, and I can see the reasons for it. XD

Bolded is the best idiomatic metaphor ever.
  15. Habanero

Habanero New Cupcake

If you go by what was shown in the cinematics by Carbine, the picture they've drawn is pretty clear.
    If you dig deeper into the lore it gets a lot more complex, though.
    Pick your poison.
  16. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

Mmm.. Cyanide.. ^_^
  17. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

For those interested:

Adeptus Arbites
    Imperial Guard
    Iron Hands Chapter of the Space Marines
    Adeptus Mechanicus
  18. Destian

Destian Cupcake-About-Town

TBH, I'm fairly concerned that, at launch, the Exiles are going to outnumber the Dominion in the same way the alliance outnumbered the horde in WoW.

I think Carb should release a second set of trailers that show the Dominion in a better light and the Exiles in a worse light, just to make us all go "WHOA! GRAY AREAS!".

It really doesn't matter if the inside lore paints a more equivocal picture of the two factions if the primary trailers are definitely shows the Dominion in such an evil light.
  19. Nick799

Nick799 New Cupcake

Sorry i should read the whole thread before replying :p
    Extatica likes this.
  20. Packetdancer

Packetdancer Addon Cupcake

Honestly, as I said earlier, my read is that the Dominion is about control, stability and order at the expense of any personal liberties. That's not inherently evil, but is likely to attract some unsavory elements who enjoy the rush of being in power over others. (Arguably, Malvolio qualifies.)

But judging the entire Dominion based on Malvolio seems a bit like judging the entire US based on, say, Carrot-top. (Side note to our international friends: please don't.) There's going to be plenty of genuinely good people, too, who just believe that the Exile idea of "freedom" is anarchy and that there needs to be order in the universe.

Conversely, the Exiles are about freedom at the expense of, well, everything else. You're going to end up with some characters who have spunk and spirit (see Kit Brinny). But you'll also end up with sometroublemakers or thugs who "just ain't much fer rules". And you'll also end up with the brilliant minds who would be stifled by such petty considerations as "rules" (or "laws" or "ethics", pick your ownterminology) such as the Mordesh.
    FelixAkuma likes this.