1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why can't Mechari be Spellslingers?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Miatog, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

In the Meet the Dominion video we clearly see a Mechari shoot a gun, so why can't they be Spellslingers? The class uses guns, Mechari could channel energy into the guns and pull of the same moves. Sure it would have a slight different lore to it than the other races doing it, but I honestly don't understand why Mechari can't be Spellslingers.

Ideas? Explanations to say why it is?
    Chim likes this.
  2. Coolio

Coolio New Cupcake

I've wondered that myself at times. However, I think they will most likely be able to be the so-called Engineer class if it is called that. I can see them using a rifle and gadgets more than dual wielding magic pistols. Although it would be cool if they did. It is probably focused on the lore as to why they cant be spellslingers
    Sonntam and Chim like this.
  3. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

Presumably something about robots and magic.
    Hy'Tchok, Sapien, Jarinolde and 4 others like this.
  4. Miatog

See, but I addressed that already. They could easily have special energy cells installed to do the same basic moves, channel it through their bodies into the guns.
  5. Shalanigh

Shalanigh Cupcake

They skipped the "special energy cell install" because it had to be a package deal with upgrading to Itunes version 11.0.3.
    Rizzalliss, Miatog, Volktar and 8 others like this.
  6. F8L Fool

F8L Fool Cupcake-About-Town

Electricity (or whatever energy source they'd use) seems like it would be inherently different than a magic source. Especially when you take into account the fact that Mechari also can't be an Esper, it makes perfect sense. How exactly could an electrical or mechanical power source have instantaneous healing properties? Maybe some type of nano-technology, but that would revolve around a Tech based healer and not a magical one. There is a big difference between channeling energy into a destructive force and modifying it to have rejuvenating properties.

The only two classes they can currently play are Stalker and Warrior, neither of which have any type of healing role. This leads me to believe that they are going to keep the Mechari as a 100% offensive race or introduce a Tech based healer for them to play. Perhaps even none at all.
  7. Revon

Revon Well-Known Cupcake

Spellslingers use magic with their pistols, but I think there are non-magic pistols in the game as well which technically anyone could use, although they're not useful enough for a class weapon. Mechari being robots can't use magic and so can't be spellslingers or espers. The rifle doesn't seem to use magic though, and I believe the Mechari will be able to use that.

As for the healing part... I still don't know what the last class besides the rifle wielder will be, but we know it will be a healer. My guess is it's a tech healer and not a magic healer and I don't see why the Mechari wouldn't be able to be that. We've seen stuff like medigels and reconstructing rays in sci-fi before, could be something along those lines.
    Sonntam and Edouard Seryozhenkov like this.
  8. AmeNeko

AmeNeko New Cupcake

I agree with the magic theory :3
    As far as I know Esper and Spellslinger use some kind of magical ability they are born with. And I don't think it would be possible to built something like that into a mechari, so they have to stay with the non-magical classes.

But it would be totally badass :<
  9. Ennui

Ennui Cupcake

from the class page:

Spellslingers fight with a unique style that's a lethal combination of magic, reflexes and instinct - making them some of the most feared combatants in the galaxy. By wielding specially designed mag pistols, Spellslingers manipulate arcane energy to create powerful magic sigils – greatly increasing their accuracy and infusing their projectiles with destructive power.
  10. Miatog

Because this is sci-fi and who cares about logic? :p Seriously though, just name this powerful Energy X and it's all solved. I mean we're adding magic into sci-fi, I honestly have no issue with this.

Apparently I'm alone in this thinking though, so I won't push it.
    Heart in the Stars and Chim like this.
  11. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

It's not about logic, it's about magic. Robots and magic brother, robots and magic don't mix. Like in Star Wars, Grievous could use lightsabers but not the force.
    AmeNeko and F8L Fool like this.
  12. Miatog

Grievous wasn't a robot, he was a cyborg. Plus Star Wars is a bad example since Episode one. The Force is no long magic, it's microorganisms and that means there's no reason for robots not to use them, and in fact there are some who experiment with robots using the force.

Ever hear of Magitek? Generalized term for when machines and robots do mix, there's even a trope for it. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Magitek
    Chim and F8L Fool like this.
  13. popober

And ESP usually defined by brain synapses and <REDACTED>. Magic is mystical, tied to nature and <REDACTED>.

Magitek is using magic to POWER machines, not the other way around. Like using lightning elementals as a power source. Even a cannon that fires magic isn't actually generating that magic, it's drawing from a magical power source and focusing that energy into a weaponized shot, like the Mag Pistol stated above.

But magitek is only about magic and machines, not robots. Even a series as magitek-heavy as Final Fantasy has yet to feature an actual robot/android, not a simple machine, with the capacity to use magic.

If anything, magic could be a part of Mechari design, maybe a power source or something, some kind of battery, but that doesn't mean they have the capacity to use it.

P.S. Another troper, welcome to WildStar Central!
  14. Miatog

Also doesn't mean they can't use it either. All it would take is slapping a second power source dedicated to channling it into the guns.
  15. popober

If that's possible in-universe, but even then only if they ARE powered by magic and that magic isn't already 100% focused on powering them. But it does mean they can't use actual magic, they'd probably be just focusing energy out of their hands, unable to fully manipulate it. Maybe a racial trait where they can stun someone by using electricity. They have the power source, but not the ability to use it.

But really, without the required in-universe connection, say an actual biological brain for ESP and inborn mystical connection for magic, mechanical beings aren't capable of using those things. It's not stated yet, but I'm sure there's a lore explanation why Mechari can't be either. Maybe being synthetic beings, they lack the capacity or connection to do so, even with Eldan technology, or something.
  16. Chim

Chim Cupcake-About-Town

Mechari should be half typical robot, half magic robot! They should be spellsingers! I love Voxine. *_*
    Bomoo and Heart in the Stars like this.
  17. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

This is universally the problem with 'why can't race y be class x' topics

OP; Why can't race y be class x?
    Responder; Because *insert lore reason here* (In this case being the mechari are robots and spell slingers channel 'magic' through their guns and apparently robots don't have magic because they're not alive)
    OP; But can't they just *insert made up idea to circumvent it*

See you can literally do this with every race/class combo in every mmo ever, no matter how set in stone (in this case not very) the lore is anyone can make a reason up to ignore it.

To answer your question OP; Because the devs don't want to let you do it and thus have inserted some lore reason (also likely to do with class/faction balance and race representation across the board). Just wait for expos, in an effort to make the game feel fresh devs almost always loosen class/race restrictions with each expo.
    Jarinolde and Shalanigh like this.
  18. Bomoo

Bomoo Cupcake

Same reason our fuzzy Aurin pals can't be rawriors. :(

I'd be all for every race being every class as in the likes of GW2. You can explain virtually any combination in-lore along the lines of, as OP points out, something like Mechari energy cells emulating the effects of magic, etc.
    lelouch and Heart in the Stars like this.
  19. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

also, the other Dev reason is because they're individually animating each ability for each race for each class and for each gender. thus it takes a LONG time to animate one class for one race. thus they're doing it for time constraints (just like the reason that each class only has one weapon - animation time constraints!)
  20. Chim

Chim Cupcake-About-Town

My dad said: machines (cars and motorcycles) have souls. Magic comes from the soul! Mechari can be spellsinger or esper. I believe in that. ;)
    Bomoo likes this.