1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why can't Mechari be Spellslingers?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Miatog, Jun 2, 2013.

1. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

• Edited for Inappropriate Behaviour
    You honestly didn't get what I was saying? I meant that the most a mechari could do with mimicing magic is producing special effects, an example being spurting fire from his hands. But he can't manipulate that fire to the same degree as a magician, like forming it into a dragon.

But this is obviously going over your head. I'm sorry if it's too difficult to understand.
  2. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

Where? All you've said is that you don't think robots can use magic because in your opinion robots and magic don't mix. Show me the official lore that says in the Wildstar setting Mechari can't use magic and I will bow my hat and back off totally.
    Heart in the Stars and Luc like this.
  3. popober

I meant the story's already set in the Dev's minds. They've already created the universe, established the backstory, and designed it's laws. While what's been released is still limited, they already have the restrictions and rules of their universe. The fact that they've already released classes with restrictions means they already know and are sure of what each race can and can't do. They're also sure of the laws of magic in their world already, one of those laws most probably being that magic can only be used by organic beings.

And honestly? Robots, well androids, and magic usually never mix in fiction for a number of reasons. The most that happens is usually automatons being powered by magic or magitek, but never an actual android using magic. But that doesn't matter, each universe has it's separate rules and restrictions that one doesn't really apply to others.

It's just that the creators of this universe seem to already be pretty sure of what can and can't happen.
  4. Luc

Luc Cupcake-About-Town

ok but do you realize that there is NO MAGICIAN and no need to morph fire into a dragon so far?
    there's just no reason , stop trying to invent things.
  5. popober

• Edited for Inappropriate Behaviour
    SPELLslingers=MAGIC, MAGICIAN. The dragonfire thing was just a stupid example of using magic as opposed to simple mimicry.
  6. Luc

Luc Cupcake-About-Town

indeed a really stupid example. Anyway, your mind is already made up, i won't argue anymore, this is just possible frustrating other members so... you go turn fire into a dragon and be happy in candyland .
  7. popober

Well it's easier to understand something if you bring things down to the listener's level, so... But nothing's gonna get through and I've got more strikes because of this. I don't know why I bit in the first place when the post came with a picture like that.

Mechari's still can't be spellslingers btw, tough luck about that. Seeya.
  8. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Not really. There is a general set of unwritten rules laid down for all sci-fi and fi universes. Even in a universe where anything can happen, some laws are still in effect if you don't want to cause fans to rise their eyebrows and frown on your work.
  9. popober

I just don't want the discussion to turn into "X story has this so put it into WildStar NAO!!!@#!" really.

But if written properly, it's not unheard of for twists to be implemented in a story. Though why some people seem to think just because it's this way in a famous work, it should be the same everywhere else as well, I don't know. It's something I like to call "The Tolkien effect". Of course, if your talking about the amount of realism in a story, that's a completely different- err, story.
  10. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

My guess is that the Eldan didn't want the Mechari to be teleporting around like Nightcrawler and going places where they weren't supposed to. So, they banned any mechari Spellslinger logic chip.

Maybe some intrepid Scientist will discover the true answer!
  11. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

[​IMG]
    Luc and Chim like this.
  12. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

To the OP:

The devs have stated that not all race/class possibilities have been posted, and they may add more. Also, the Spellslinger's guns are what channel the magic, not the actual spellslinger.

"Spellslingers fight with a unique style that's a lethal combination of magic, reflexes and instinct - making them some of the most feared combatants in the galaxy. By wielding specially designed mag pistols, Spellslingers manipulate arcane energy to create powerful magic sigils – greatly increasing their accuracy and infusing their projectiles with destructive power."
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/classes/spellslinger.php

This means the pistols are the actual medium that the magic flows through, but they are technology. In that they are designed, even if designed using arcane empowered pieces. The spellslingers use this technology to manipulate that energy which then creates sigils. In this, think full metal alchemist. The pistols form the symbols and the symbols act as enchantments. Enchantments are proven to work on gear which is just inanimate clothing and armor and weapons anyway.

So, there's still a chance they add Spellslinger to the Mechari race, and no reason the Mechari couldn't be a spellslinger, due to Wildstar's lore. Since the lore clearly states that the act of wielding the pistols gives the ability to manipulate the energy, not inherent in the spellslinger.
    Luc and Miatog like this.
  13. popober

Is it really stated somewhere? Because I just took from the pistol thing is that they simple acted as foci, the magic still comes from and is inherent to the Spellslinger and they use the pistols to channel and weaponize it.
  14. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

The quote is directly from the Spellslinger class page. It does not specifically state where the arcane energy originates from, just that the pistols are used to manipulate it. This could mean arcane energy that just exists, or exists in the spellslinger or exists in a trinket the spellslinger carries around possibly. So, no to the origination, but also no documentation to disprove that it can't just be a general "arcane energy" which exists in matter.

Also, they show the spellslinger swapping places with a giant robot in the movement video, which means that robots can indeed use sigils. The only specific question which remains to be unanswered and cannot be proved either way is "Can robots form sigils using mag pistols?"

And until Carbine posts something that specifically states that either arcane energy comes from the spellslinger, or that mechari cannot use mag pistols for some reason, it will remain a point of speculation for either side.

There's your hope, with a dollop of doubt both sides of the argument, you're welcome!
    Luc and Miatog like this.
  15. popober

It seemed to me the switching places with the robot simply meant that sigils could simply be applied to anything, in this case a giant robot, and the target doesn't need to be organic or whatever. The robot wasn't using magic, instead magic was being used on it.

I'm still pretty confident that they're not gonna remove the race restrictions though, especially this late already in developpment. I mean, if they had meant to include other races to a class then they would've done so already. But I could be wrong, maybe Carbine caves in to pleaseing a select noisy few, hope not though. I've been pained by how TSW ended up already.
  16. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Yah, so there's no reason that the robot can't form sigils which have magic used on it. The teleportation mechanic was used by the robot though by having the magic be used on it. It depends on where the energy comes from that create the sigils, or if Mechari can't use the pistoles for some specific reason.

They've stated that they haven't revealed all of them. There's nothing to say that it hasn't already been implemented, just not released to the public knowledge. They may see how the beta players take to Mechari as a spellslinger. If the Beta testers are like "This seems odd and out of place, and doesn't seem like it fits the race well." They will take it out. If the beta testers say "Man, I really like the personality of this Mechari spellslinger, and it feels really interesting." They'll then say "Oh yah btw guys Mechari could be spellslingers all along!" Basically, they stated specifically that not all of the race/class combos have been released, not that they haven't decided what they were.

There's a big difference between, not revealed and making a whole animation set to bend to the community. I also think that they shouldn't add it if it hasn't been already, but if it were already implemented, see how the beta testers take it and instead go off of their feedback.

[Sarcasm]Also, how late in development? Have you heard the release date?! Why would you not share this information!?[/Sarcasm]
    Miatog likes this.
  17. popober

What I meant with the porting robot thing was that the robot had nothing to do with the actual casting of the spell, it was just the target. It didn't form any sigil, the sigil was formed around it by the spell when it was cast. In essence, I'm saying that it it doesn't matter what the target is; biological, organic, neurotic, etc. but it does matter what the caster is as the caster is the one doing the channeling/casting.

See, doesn't the "unrevealed class/race combos" just refer to the unreleased ones? Like, right now anything goes as to the restriction of the unreleased classes, same with the unreleased races, but the info that's been released already is gonna stay. Well that's what I thought anyway. Still hoping the undead race gets teh stalker.

Well it's they're already at CBT, the most that can change without screwing things are game mechanics, the ones and zeroes. Wouldn't they be focusing on things like balancing classes, fine-tuning class mechanics, tweaking servers, etc. rather than making new animations and designing new aesthetics. Even if they may already have those things prepared, then it wouldn't make much sense why they didn't include the race in the class restriction in the first place. Waiting for "feedback" when they've already released majority of the classes and majority of the races along with the combinations makes even less. That's why what's already been released must be final already.
    Kataryna likes this.
  18. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Yah, I got what you were saying, but the sigil isn't intelligent in itself, it is created, and then it knows swap object A with object B. So, the targets don't matter, it's how the sigils are created that matters, we know how they're shaped (by the wielder of the pistols). Think of the pistols as a cup, and arcane energy as water, the cup can shape the water, if the user puts water in the cup. The cup is the special thing, not the user.

This analogy only goes so far because you can use your hands to shape the water as well, but the idea is similar.

So, yeah, sigils seem to affect whatever they're placed on, they're also used to modify projectiles. So they seem to be enchantments, or temporary enchantments with triggers that "release" them.

They hinted at it including ones that are released already. Someone specifically asked them about the Mechari being a spellslinger, it was on some live vlogcast which I believe has been edited unfortunately.

Right, the class/race combos that are there are gonna stay unless they decide to scrap a class or race, though I doubt those ones will. I think the ones in beta were still being iterated on, and that's why they hadn't been announced.

I think they're seeing how the lore feels too. If something's incredibly out of place they still have to fix it. The lore is a deep part of the game and can ruin immersion for players and really be off putting if done incorrectly.

It actually makes perfect sense if they're not sure about it yet. Now if they knew they were going to put Mechari as Spellslingers all along then they'd have gone ahead and told us. If they were seeing how many players actually played a Mechari Spellslinger, they may just get rid of it. Like if all the spellslingers ended up being Mechari, you know there's a problem, likewise if none of the players played a Mechari spellslinger that's another problem. Or if all Mechari were spellslingers. These are all things that can be shown in Beta where you have third parties trying out the game. It's really important to not release information about things that could be different at launch because it'll leave a bad taste in player's mouths, and then they might get turned off to the game. It can also make it seem like they're making promises of things and then retracting those promises later, this is also bad for reputation. I know everything said by carbine is deliberate and how the game currently is or is planned to be tested.

There's good reason to do it the way they're doing it, and it's already gained a lot of hype. There's no real reason to show their entire hands when only the flop's been dealt.
  19. popober

I see your point. But trying to talk about it doesn't really matter, I guess. What they'll release or do in the future is up to them, for us only time will tell. If they do allow Mechari to be spellslingers or a race to be a previously locked class, I hope they're not doing it just to placate the squeaky wheels.

I will say that I really, really, really, really, REALLY hope the undead guys can be stalkers. And that they look cool, I like a fanart that's been posted here in the boards before with the undead race, the design looked pretty cool and fit in the theme of the game. I've heard some flotsam here and there about how they possibly look so I'm kinda anxious.
  20. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

But it does matter. The dev team has already proven to me that they want lots of fan input, and this is my input. They're here on the forums, they're in chat, there's 2 (now locked) topics that I know of where they asked for our thoughts. It means we should talk about it and if they feel it's right to make a fan suggested change they will. I have faith that they won't just say "Everyone is everything so people won't complain!" They'll pick and choose what we can do based on what fits their lore, what feels right to them, and player/fan input.
    Heart in the Stars and Luc like this.