1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why can't Mechari be Spellslingers?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Miatog, Jun 2, 2013.

1. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

You can tell when a class/race combination has been added in as an afterthought, and when it's been thought through. Tauren Paladins come to mind (look it up if you don't know what I'm talking about) as a decent and interesting lore reason why Taurens can be Paladins. I don't think Carbine would add them in as an afterthought, but I think they've thought about it. They're not just going to plop them in and make them look and feel like <REDACTED>. They want people to love the game as much as they do, this doesn't mean bending to the will of others. It means that they make a rich lore with interesting and fun gameplay and entertaining environments, if Mechari fit lore-wise, it would make the spellslinger more steam-punk driven, if not, that's fine too. Either way Spellslinger is an interesting idea lore wise, and will have really fun gameplay.
  2. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

I meant talking about whether they'll implement it or not, something they'll do at their own pace, not giving input. I honestly don't care if they raise class restrictions or not, as long as they don't do it to placate squeaky wheels.
  3. Neurotic Cucpake

Neurotic Cucpake Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not a fan of racial limits at all, Mechari or otherwise. It's an archaic concept that even D&D -- the game that introduced it to the masses -- gave up years ago. All it does is stifle diversity; in no way does it actually improve it.
    Trigger likes this.
  4. column

column New Cupcake

I would guess its something like the fact that the robots can't tap into the power of magic, and it requires a "soul" to tap into the power. Or they just though mech mages looked ridiculous haha
  5. lelouch

lelouch Cupcake

I have two classes in mind warrior and esper aurin can't be a warrior for some reason
  6. Bomoo

Bomoo Cupcake

Could be it's too expensive to do animations for every combination. TOR has it easy since they lazily made all the "races" near-humans (wanted to play an ithorian or ortollan, dern it!), but WS characters appear to have completely distinct animations and models from each other.
  7. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

They dont want every class to be every thing, so they have to make choices.

Machines not being able to use spells is understandable, even if some settings allow it, WSO chose not to, at least not for Playable characters.

Iam pretty sure other classes will also have restrictions that do not please some people, but imho it is better than what WoW decided to do and allow everyone to be everything.
  8. Genoshock

Genoshock Cupcake-About-Town

maybe because all the
    maybe because all the race/class configurations haven't been decided/programmed for so we just haven't seen it ?
  9. Genoshock

Genoshock Cupcake-About-Town

when did wow do that? undead druid anyone?
  10. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

i belive there still are a few restrictions.

but they added more classes to all races, Gnomes and Undeads still cant be Druids, still there are some weird class combos that due to lore should not exist.

i would love for a Gnome Druid cat and bear form, since it would have to be a kitty cat and a teddy bear =p
  11. Neurotic Cucpake

Except, no, that's not a bad thing at all. Which is why Dungeons & Dragons got rid of the silly restrictions years ago, and that's the game that pretty much introduced the concept for race/class restrictions to the world.

No, they don't have to make choices. They chose to make them because it's one of those outdated, archaic concepts from D&D that -- for reasons I can't even begin to fathom -- stuck around when they went from pen-and-paper to video games.

These restrictions do one thing and one thing only: Limit player options for no good reason. With the current four classes and six races, there should easily be 24 combinations available, but instead we're stuck with 18, and one race has only a single "option" available currently. That means every time you run into one in the game, that's all you're going to see: Granok Warriors. Not only is it absurd, but it's going to get old. Fast.

These games already have stifling few options for players, and this one doesn't do anything to improve the feel of the world or the all-mighty "lore" that people use as a ridiculous catchphrase to explain anything under the sun. Nevermind that "lore" is exactly the thing that will fix the issue.

It's almost like gaming companies do it because they think its a requirement in an RPG. Which, again pointing back to D&D who brought the concept to the world, is patently untrue.
  12. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

Can does not mean should, and not every RPG strives to be D&D.

If a person absolutely must play a race, they have no reason to bristle at class restrictions designed to reinforce that race's cultural archetype. There's a race that can play every class in most games, humans. That's part of their thing, being versatile and adaptable. Almost every setting with various invented races + humans takes the path of humans being the universal standard by which the other races are differentiated.

Humans are generally the median race, excelling at nothing in particular but capable of everything. Other races have more specific identities, they're generally more specialized. Personally, I'm quite fine with not seeing any Granok stalkers or Mechari espers. Ordinarily, I'm one to argue in favor of diversity and freedom of choice, but these restrictions make sense to me.

While I wouldn't think any less of Carbine for allowing every race to be every class, I don't see the need for it and I would honestly be pleased if they stuck to their guns on the matter. It seems a lot like demanding the ability to play an irrational Vulcan or a pacifist Klingon. In fiction, with its limited narrative budget, races are often defined by what they refuse to do as much as what they choose to do. A complete lack of interest or proficiency for certain pursuits serves to highlight their passion and excellence for others.
    Genoshock and Miatog like this.
  13. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I am a huge fan of racial limits, just so you know where I'm coming from.

The best answers were given on the first two pages. Technical due to the way they want to do animations. It's a real reason as it is also the main reason for one weapon type per class. Secondly, it's how Carbine has designed the game. You don't have to like it, it's just the way it is. Ya know, like when your Dad said "because I said so", except here you won't get a smack if you keep arguing.
  14. Neurotic Cucpake

Except they are "striving" to be D&D in this regard... just an outdated, silly, nonsensical version of D&D that reinforces bland, two-dimensional characterizations.

For example, why can't a Granok be an esper or spellslinger? Don't mercenaries need medics? Aren't gunfighters the classic mercenary of the Old West? Being a mercenary is about your mindset and agenda. The type of abilities you wield in combat have no bearing on it whatsoever. So what if you shoot a pistol or sling some mojo rather than swing a glowing magic sword? If you're doing it for money, you're a merc. And that's what Granok are all about. Their class doesn't -- shouldn't -- matter one iota.

First, a "need" has already been mentioned -- versatility and player options. When all Granok are the same one-dimensional character, that gets old fast.

Second, it's nothing at all like wanting to play "an irrational Vulcan or pacifist Klingon." That's absurd. Class is not even remotely synonymous with personality. It's more akin to wanting to play a Vulcan soldier (which do exist) or a Klingon scientist (hey, guess what, they exist, too).
  15. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Definitely not trying to be an ass, as I understand we are on different sides in this, but what you describe is a "want". There are no "needs" to use as a reason to ask, it's all about personal desire.

I don't "want" swords as the Warrior weapon because I dislike them. As a result I will most likely not play a warrior. My individual "want" is what makes me do this. There is no lore/game mechanic reason for them to use anything else. So, as much as I "want" them to change it, there is no "need" for them to do so. Same applies here.
  16. vicksen

vicksen Cupcake

Their joints get rusty in the rain making them less agile, lacking the finesse a good spellslinger needs!
    Mudfin likes this.
  17. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Granoks will be able to heal, they're going to be one of the unrevealed classes that is a healer, that'll be their "medic." Also, if you pay attention to the "Meet the Exiles" film, Granoks are big strong and stupid, this means Esper is out, due to needing mental capacities, and spellslinger is out, because they'd look at the 2 puny pistols compared to one huge gun, and pick the gun every time. They aren't said to be good mercenaries because they're intelligent and think about what would fit best, they happen to be good mercenaries because they're strong and tenacious and don't think twice about how they should get something done.

Granoks are loud, dumb, and strong. That's how they roll. Why would they want a wimpy little pistol, or some psychobabble. Think Bruce Willis in... well... anything, sorta rubbish at clever, but really good at blowing things up.

Then don't play a Granok. There's a lot of people that like the single dimensional character, and they usually play Paladins. Playing a paladin personally makes me gag, but I don't say, "No one should be able to play a paladin because they're all goody goody" instead I let them have their fun. They know what they like and know how to react. Granoks will likely be stubborn, and get into unnecessary fights a lot. But, they're also spiritual, being made of the earth and all, they have a big connection to it. This is their second dimension.

Creating limits of races does make it interesting, maybe you can look at the lore and figure out why they do certain things, and not others. This is what makes those characters interesting. Why would a whole race never evolve to be smarter? How did they get that way? What allows them to survive?

In fact the Granoks that went with the Exiles are the niche crew. The rest were wiped out due to stubborn-ness of not wanting to leave their planet. Also, why would they learn to use a pistol if their entire culture never picked them up in the first place? The only reasons to invent a pistol is to make it lighter to carry, or to conceal it. From what I can tell this goes against the Granok entirely, they're strong, so they don't really need to lighten their weapons, and concealment doesn't seem to be their thing.

Ok, how about this, it'd be like an Undead Paladin, or a Tauren Rogue. Undead clearly have no right being a Paladin, they certainly don't have a god on their side, and Tauren Rogue... I mean sneaky big cow? Seriously? How could that even happen?
    Miatog likes this.
  18. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I agree.

Also, I was always partial to axes... but that's me. I'm guessing you're going to be playing a stalker or an unannounced melee class (if there is one)?
    Mudfin likes this.
  19. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I heard Protostar's making a super lubricant to help out with that... FOR MONEY!
    Miatog and vicksen like this.
  20. Neurotic Cucpake

That's why I put "needs" in quotation marks. Just like one doesn't "need" to see it happen, others do.

There are Undead Paladins in WoW. There are also massively sized rogues in WoW; Pandaren being one of the PC versions, but there's also Mogu and plenty of oversized NPC races that have them sneaking around. It's almost like stealth in WoW is magical, and has no bearing on one's size whatsoever.

Nevermind Tauren Hunters with Camouflage or Undead Holy Priests.