1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why do crafters charge so much for a five minute job at most?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Stich, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Stich

Stich Cupcake

no offense to crafters, but all ive ever seen of them is charging a stupid amount of money for the item, even then you have to provide your own materials, so might as well just craft your own stuff.

Dont get met wrong im not saying you shouldnt pay the crafter but why charge something stupid AND demand the buyer, provides the mats? It should be one or the other, i mean that's like a doctor saying, he wont, help treat your illness/injury unless you provide both money and medical equipment/medicine

2. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Convenience, ...you really know the answer to your question.

Why does the gas station out in the middle of the desert charge 5 dollars for a can of soda?
    If you don't want to pay that much then keep driving, right?

BLAPPiN, Katu_Kath, Syn and 1 other person like this.
  3. Verilyn

Verilyn Cupcake

It's only fair to -tip- the crafter for an item they took the time and money to learn, even if you provide your own mats. If someone charges you full price for the item you provided the mats for, don't make that deal. Find a new crafter willing to give you their attention and take the minimum tip! Otherwise, it only makes sense to level that craft yourself if you really need it.

Kataryna likes this.
  4. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

Why do we shake hands after a fulfilling transaction face-to-face? It's just an established tradition.

Coincidentally, I've experimented with this and if you're willing to talk to a person for a few minutes and establish a rapport, that expected tip evaporates and they start whispering you from their friends list asking if they can craft anything for you. "Where you at? Invite, I'll come to you. Hey, you wanna do a H scenario today?"

5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I agree a bit with Verilyn that there are HUGE differences between crafters.

I once asked someone to make something for me because I liked his style....but the amounts he charged....damn noty!
    I could get something from someone who was better in the job and for a way cheaper price! Problem is that her style wasn't as perfect as his was.

Eventually I didn't do anything.....but go look for other crafters. The differences in money may be really big!

6. ImpactHound

what game/item? sounds interesting that the item would have "style" and not just be a scarce raid pattern with obnoxious mats.

7. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I don't think he is really talking about tips, a tip is something extra in addition to the bill.
    Charging is something we don't see too much of lately because most MMO's make the items so easy to obtain that everyone has them anyway.
    Crafters used to charge because it was difficult and time consuming to be able to craft certain items, and some recipes were rare enough that only a couple people had them on the server. So when you are faced with almost no chance to craft it yourself, then yes you will be paying a hefty charge besides the tip itself, and I hope that happens for a long time in this game.

8. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

some patterns are day or week long cooldowns if not more. some mats are the same. some patterns are rare as hell. if youre one of the very few that can make it well the charge goes up or you have people who can make it yelling at you.

9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

hahahaha :roflamo: I totally misunderstood this thread ;)
    I thought he was talking about ''crafters'' in RL......(hence the ''style'' difference).

But still, in-game there are a lot of differences between crafters aswell. As people have said, try making small talk with them, it can reduce the prices. Also a guild can help you! Noway there are no crafters for that typical ''craft'' in your guild.

10. Stich

Stich Cupcake

i just think its stupid, so what if they have a cool down or are rare, if im providing the materials witch was also gathered in my own time ect, why should i pay you an additional cost?

or if you already have the mats, why should i have to supply my own materials instead of just paying you?

11. Stich

Stich Cupcake

in what game?!. im sorry but that sounds stupid, why put a cool down on crafting, i mean, if you got the mats for it, wh ycant you make as much as you want if its got a cool down on it, sounds pretty worthless to craft it imo.

12. ImpactHound

There's a 24 hour cooldown in WoW currently to make Living Steel thru alchemists, and special power cores in engineering. It's pretty tame to cleansing a single piece of Mooncloth in classic WoW; you had to go out in the world and stand in a moonwell usually in the middle of nowhere to make it from felcloth, and you could only make ONE piece every 4 days. Gear took 4-8 pieces to make. It's gating, good for the economy, blah blah blah...

Verilyn and Livnthedream like this.
  13. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

Why do you pay for any labor charge? Why do you pay more for a surgeon than you pay for a day-laborer? Because someone has the ability to do something that you can't and you are paying for their time, some time is more valuable than others. This all becomes a non-issue if you make some friends/join a decent guild. Then you have crafters refusing to take a tip (some mailing it back if they missed it initially).

14. Enkidu

Enkidu Cupcake-About-Town

Really depends on a lot of factors, as a crafter that enjoys crafting and often nets healthy profits from it being that I also enjoy raiding. Many factors come into play when price is a factor. For example if the item in question has a chance to proc and had no cooldown I would never ask for a fee if they provided the mats, but I kept the procs. (Though a tip is always nice)

If the item has a cooldown even if it has the chance to proc another I will always ask a fee dependent on the server economy and the availability of said item.

Though in the end price is often determined by the availability. Which is nothing new.

15. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Greed. In general, people are very greedy and self centered. These traits increase over something like the internet where there is little threat of retort from others. Kind of like how people will say the worst things they can think of to someone in a game and never to someone they meet on the street.

Competition counters greed! The problem is that competition kind of needs to advertise. It would be neat if there were boards, in game boards, that allowed this. I also wonder about housing in this respect. If someone makes their house focused on crafting. By this, I mean that person has a crafting center and resource nodes in their home. Then they essentially list their housing plot as 'public'. If housing plots can be searched, that person could add an advertisement like "Uncle Granok's Fine Swords & Stabbing Bits" that let other people learn the owner of that plot can craft high level items. If that person's price is too high, there's always someone else who might be cheaper.

16. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I do think the cirles open up some nice in-game forming of a crafting community.

Just put all those you think are good in your crafting circle!.....who know. But circles can play some part in it! Carbine provides it and now it's up to the people if we're gonna use it for that.

17. Agent Drew

Agent Drew Cupcake-About-Town

Why should I blow a cooldown on someone who doesn't want to compensate me? Why should I waste my time meeting up with and making an item for a person who thinks of me as nothing more than an npc to use as they see fit.

Maybe cuz I don't want to have to hunt down the mats again or spend time in the AH rebuying all my mats I had saved up.

Point is, while I do agree that sometimes crafters get carried away, they are providing a service for you. You might not think of it as much, but they spend a good chunk of time and money on it to make it worthwhile, even if all you see is a simple click.

If you don't like the charges, don't buy.

18. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

I never used to charge for guildies and would somtimes provide the mats if I had them or it was for part of the raid progression group if other people wanted somthing crafted they would have to provide the materials and I would craft for free or a tip I never really minded but more often then not I would find a little gold or some mats in my mailbox every now and then as a thanks from various people I had helped since everyone else was charging loads or the favour was often returned in guild when I needed somthing

ofcourse if it involved using a 12 or 24+ hour CD then I would have to charge because that is costing me time and in a Pay to Play MMO time = money and you need to be compensated for that

on another note I would never craft with somone I didnt trust (even more important if your providing mats) so its good to establish some rapport with the customer/salesman first or if your recommended somone from a reputable guild

19. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

the cooldown stuff creates powerful other stuff. i used to make 28 slot bags . the mats were 12 cloth . each cloth had a day cooldown. they were the biggest bags in the game and when i started making the bags i was selling 1 bag for 8k gold. the next highest bag went for 500g.
    time to level and cost to level a profession also tie into price. not to mention the reputations you might have to max to get patterns.
    it all adds up . alot of crafters are selling stuff for less than the mats themselves to make the item.

Eliat_kuni likes this.
  20. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I completely forgot about those! They're just right for that use. It also encourages a barter system instead of a monetary system among those in the circle. For example, I'll build the weapon for you if you build this armor for me!