1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why do crafters charge so much for a five minute job at most?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Stich, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Borz

Borz Cupcake-About-Town

It's usually to offset cost of getting crafting recipie. People tend to think "this item costs N on AH, but it's mats cost only half of it, I'll outsmart those greedy crafters and get mats, and get it crafted for free", while forgetting that all those crafters still want to earn back money used on making it possible to craft this something, which is why they don't let you 'outsmart' them and still charge their fee.

You don't like it, you might always look for other crafters, or just go ahead and learn it yourself. But it'll still be cheper just to pay what crafter asks.

Traditions in real world vary by region, and in MMOs they vary by games. It does get troublesome in new games without established "traditions" on it's own, and "tips" are perfect example of that.

2. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I think it really comes down to the percent of profit that someone wants to make.

If materials cost say, 10g on the market. Let's also say actually making the item costs another 5g as a recipe fee or something. So in total it's costing the crafter 15g to make something. Let's say the crafter wants to make a 20% profit. So they sell the item on the market for 18g.

If someone provides the materials it still costs the crafter 5g as a recipe fee in this example. So to keep their profit percent (20% of cost) they may charge 6g.

The problem with this example is they make 1g profit compared to 3g profit by selling it on the market. It becomes a matter of is the 2g loss in profit worth having the materials provided instead of collecting it themselves. The simple solution most people will go for is to charge 9g for making an item with materials provided. They make more profit than selling on the market and don't have to collect the materials. In theory this is better for the person wanting the item. They pay 9g for something that goes for 18g on the auction house.

3. Stich

Stich Cupcake

with all the feed back on the matter, i can see why peopel charge, and im not, saying i wont, pay th guy, i jsut think its pretty crappy of the one asking for both mats AND a 'tip', when youve done most of the work for them

4. Katu_Kath

Katu_Kath Robot Cupcake

That's the thing though, you didn't do most of the work for them. They are the ones that leveled the craft, got the particular recipe you wanted. You gathered materials, thats it. Just because it took you a long time to get the materials doesn't mean the job I'm doing isn't worth the time I put into it. You gathering the materials is the equivalent of me going to the AH, buying the materials, and then selling the item on the AH.
    Personally, I determine how much to charge based off a simple algorithm. I take the cheapest version's cost off the AH, subtract the cost of the materials based on the current AH price, and then charge ~50% of whats remaining.

for example, if you want a healing potion. a healing potion on the AH is 20g. The cost of the materials is 16g on the AH, Id charge you ~2g to make it with your mats.
    If you wanted a {cooldown potion X}, which on the AH is selling for 100g, and the mats for the potion is 50g, id charge you ~25gold.

5. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Especially if you are one of those selling such items on the AH.

6. King Radinov

King Radinov Cupcake

It seems to me that one of the biggest issues is the fact that many crafters use the word "tip" when they really intend for it to be their profit for the item. I've crafted and had things crafted for me and I am absolutely fine with paying the "premium" when buying an item. You are paying for their time and ability. I believe once people get away from using the word "tip" for the extra payment they are looking for on top of their production costs a lot of the issues will cool down.

My belief is that crafters have every right to charge you for something if they are making it for you. Even if you provide mats they are still spending their time. It's up to you to decide if that charge is fair. If not find someone else who can make the item, go to the auction house, or make it yourself. Unless they are the world first at getting a certain recipe you can probably find someone else. Never let yourself get forced into a bad deal, but don't expect freebies from strangers either.

7. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

Because they can.

8. Gôre

Gôre Cupcake

It boils down to this: if you want something made and have the mats, find a crafter. If they are asking an amount that you're uncomfortable with, find another until you find a price that you're comfortable with. Otherwise, your options are to pay or not have the item. Basic economics. Service for payment.

9. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

Some people find crafting fun, some really don't. Some people find farming fun, some really don't. I resent crafting and farming both with a passion, so I'm willing to pay up to 50% more on everything as long as it's handed to me. Even doubling price would be fine too, as long as I can afford it. I don't care if that other guy just needs to walk two steps and get it done in 2 seconds, he hands it to me, I'm paying. In my opinion "expensive" is when it gets to 5 to 10 times the price of crafting by yourself, but in that case I'll simply not use that item and find an alternative. Or I'll find a RL friend, treat him to dinner, and ask him to do it for me. I'd much rather work late hours without pay for 2 hours than leveling crafting in a game for 2 hours. And precisely because of that, I appreciate crafters, because having them around means I'm not forced into doing those things and I can get away with maxing everything else but level 0 in any crafting/gathering professions. So what do I feel when I'm paying someone 5 gold for a flask that I can make with less than 2 gold? Grateful inside. Everyone else can think I'm gullible, but I know that deep down I was getting the best deal for myself --- Being thought of as gullible is just a plus (it gets people to like me quite quickly lol).

Now, if gathering is slightly more fun, like the attacking flowers or walking mine suggested in Wildstar, I may be able to tolerate it. But I don't see myself getting into crafting any time soon.

If you're someone who doesn't mind crafting much, you sure can just make your own items. If enough people are like that, the price of crafting itself will drop quickly. If there are more people like me, then the price for crafting will go up. If you find that all crafters are charging a lot, then most likely that's an indication of how hard it is to go through the crafting professions in that game.

Nitt likes this.
  10. Sai Ree

Sai Ree New Cupcake

Something is worth as much as someone else is willing to pay for it. If people who make something (in games or in real life) ask high prices, it's because the market pays those prices. Prices are driven by demand, not the other way around.

Eliat_kuni likes this.
  11. Fiif

Fiif New Cupcake

As I am not in the beta I do not know the prices they're asking for, but you have to remember they spent alot of time/money actually leveling the skill in the first place. Paying 1/20 or what ever of the items true worth (thats about what people charged in Wow from what I remember) is not really asking to much. Now if they're asking for like half it's worth or anything over 1/10th then that's very steep

Eliat_kuni likes this.
  12. Kusiga

Kusiga Cupcake

Crafted a bunch in LOTRO and usually if I was questing with someone and having fun then i'd check their gear and see if I could make them anything better then i'd send it as a thanks for the grouping fun...but that just me I guess. While on SWTOR I mainly made stuff for guildmates and sold crystal on AH.

13. RavenWind

RavenWind Well-Known Cupcake

"Caveat Emptor" its true in MMOs as it is in real life. There are reasons, as noted by many in the thread, for Crafters to charge. In they end they charge what they can get away with, its up to you to shop around. I often would gather the MATS and then find someone wanting to level their crafting. They would rarely want to charge as I had done the work of gathering for them. I got my item. They go their SkillUp. Sadly folks looking to level up aren't always available and you've got to bite the bullet and pay.

In W*, the crafting looks...well complex, I don't expect (high level) crafters will be as numerous as many Older MMOs, so I expect haggling (not saying this is bad, just the reality of the situation). My Guild tends to coordinate crafting so we cover the bases within in the guild and help each other out.

14. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman New Cupcake

Supply and demand....

The craters can charge what ever they want. If you pay it... it's the right price.

You can always find someone to do it cheaper if you look around. The question then becomes how much time do you want to waste trying to save money. When you could be out making more money or doing something fun.

Beside crafters have to make there money where they can. Once people start downing raid bosses everything they can make becomes trash anyway.

15. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Not according to what the devs have said, they can make supplement items that enhance a raid drop, I'm sure its the same for Pvp enhancements too, and neither of those effect all the mount and housing items they can make.

16. Dargenus

Dargenus Cupcake-About-Town

Supply and demand is my guess.

17. Casstiel

Casstiel New Cupcake

The OP equates the value of the crafters time with the physical amount of time it took to create a single piece. What the OP ignores is the time and money investment it takes to be able to acquire the skills craft the item in the first place. Not to mention the Supply/Demand forces of the market.

Eliat_kuni likes this.
  18. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman New Cupcake

Exactly. If your rocking something brand new, or a best in slt the prices can be ridiculous.

Take a recipe that only drops from a raid boss. Might only be 2-3 people on the whole server who can even make one. At that point they can charge whatever they want. People will pay anything for a best in slot.

8k, 10k, what ever they feel like. The issue is the other 1000 items they can make are only good for vendor trash.

19. Channon

Channon New Cupcake

It's like a corkage fee at a restaurant for bringing your own wine.

Even better, you don't take a steak to a restaurant expecting someone to cook it for free.

Everyone wants to make money for their time and effort. Obviously, the crafter wants you to purchase the items they have already made, but providing a tip (for pressing a button) is a nice compromise.

20. Eliat_kuni

Eliat_kuni Cupcake

People defining themselves has high level crafter will not change, Wildstar will just make them stand out more and maybe retain more of them in the long run. I can see the parallel with the difficulty of raiding and crafting. They see it as a niche gameplay but people that will invest alot of time in Crafting/Raiding will be their best cheerleader in the gaming community.

But I agree that competition will be less but just because of the Circle- I'll be the first to start the Armorer Cartel Circle in any server :) Let's drive up price and break some Chua legs :)