1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why do humans get to have all the class options?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Carebear Commander, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Carebear Commander

Carebear Commander Cupcake-About-Town

I get that humans are the most played race, but do they also need access to all the class options? By humans, I'm referring to both Cassians and Exiles.

I don't have a lot of MMO experience, so it's very likely that this is how all of them treat humans, but it still bothers me! I'm tired of human favoritism! :mad:

Anyway, I just want people to explain to me why this makes sense or why it doesn't. One of the reasons why this irks me is because having less class options won't stop them from having access to all trinity roles. Also, it just seems unfair that they have so many options compared to other races.

If this topic has been discussed before, I apologize, I didn't know what keywords to use in the search function.

According to this post, it seems like Mordesh and Mechari also have a lot of options as well. But I'm still mad that humans get everything.
  2. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

Humans in most games tend to be characterized as one of the most versatile, adaptable races. It's because of this quality that they can meet the requirements of most or all the classes in a game. They don't excel in any one particular trait yet aren't lacking either. They have the strength and agility to become Warriors and Stalkers, the ingenuity to become Engineers and Medics, as well as the mental capacity to become Spellslingers and Espers.

That's the "lore" reason anyways. The real reason is that from a technical view, both the Humans and Cassians share the exact same skeleton and most likely similar if not exact same models as well. The reason other races don't have access to some classes is technically because of animations. Well, these two races share the essentials needed for animations, so what would have been 2 races with 3 classes each turned into 2 races that can do all the classes.
  3. Satarn

Satarn Cupcake-About-Town

Two reasons:
    1. Same reason we have humans in both factions - basically everyone is okay with playing a human, so if your friends want to play a different faction than you, there's always a sorta acceptable option for you to play.
    2. It's cheap. You can just make animations for one model per gender and have two "races" covered.

Mechari have max 4 classes available(stalker, warrior, medic and probably engineer), just like Chua.

We're still not sure if Mordesh will really have engineer at release. The reviews didn't mention Chua medics(but the AMA confirmed them) and on the last gameplay video Frost even said that Draken are getting the class, so it's pretty clear that there's some confusion regarding all this atm. It would indeed be quite unfair, but we have to wait 'till next week to start the "legitimate" nerd rage.
    Carebear Commander likes this.
  4. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Which of the following would you prefer? All races have access to all classes or for humans to have limited class options? Or do you favor something else entirely?

I think you found the answer to your question. In most (all?) MMOs that have humans as a racial choice, they are by far the preferred race. This combined with Jarinolde's correct assertion about animations... are why the humans can be every class.

Various gaming sites have confirmed both Mordesh and Mechari can be Engineers.
  5. Carebear Commander

I had a sneaky feeling that's why they can have all the classes. But if you go by the lore, all other races should perform better at their classes than both humans. I realize this wouldn't be fair in an MMO so I understand why this wouldn't be implemented.

If a majority of people are going to play the human races anyway, then having less class options shouldn't be a big deal as long as they have dps, tank, and healer options.

I would prefer both humans have limited class options like the other races. It would be nice if all races have access to all classes, but some combinations don't make sense (like chua warrior).
  6. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Lore can be changed/manipulated to support any combination. Chua Warriors? Steroids, eugenics, genetically recessive cavemen Chua, etc. Granok Espers? One pebble in a million is born with a brain Exposure to Loftite (or whatever) has awakened long dormant psychic abilities in some Granok.
  7. achesoma

achesoma Cupcake

Short answer: animations and time constraints.
  8. Satarn

Satarn Cupcake-About-Town

That's exactly what I did refer to in my post. These "various gaming sites" didn't mention Chua medics and we know from the AMA that the hamsters get to fry people with resonators as well. Doesn't seem like such a reliable source of information if you ask me. They might be right, but we can't be sure yet.
    I never said the reason is that the majority will play humans. The reason is that if you will be forced to play one, then you should at least be able to play the class you want.

Imagine you wanted to roll a Mordesh medic, but all of your friends want to play Dominion chars. You have a choice: play something else or play alone. You don't want to be separated from your buddies, but you're not into robots, hamsters seem too silly and Draken aren't your cup of tea either. Well, there are still the humans and you're sorta fine with them... but hey! Cassians can't be medics, sucks to be you~

Same role is not going to make up for lack of the exact class, they're WAY too different.

However Carbine did mention that they're thinking about making all race/class combos available, they are unable to give it to us at launch though.
    Carebear Commander and Sonntam like this.
  9. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

http://www.wildstarfans.net/2013/07/whats-wildstars-plan-to-balance-two.html
    from Gaffney
    If you don't like the looks of "alien" races on one side but your friends want to play on it - you pick human.
    Carebear Commander and Ianpact like this.
  10. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

Humans have generally in gaming always been the master of none jack of all trades species.

take a non-RPG example. Starcraft/Starcraft II, Terran do not have the raw output of the Protoss or the numbers of the Zerg but they have one of the most adaptable unit sets in the game.
  11. Elloa

Elloa Cupcake

I think it make sense. I like that there is some restriction on the classes each races can play. It favourise alting and that increase the life span of the game. It also push players to explore things they weren't expecting to play. So I'm all fine with races restiction.

I'm also fine with humans having access to all classes. Humans is that one race uninspired players will play (players that can't go into weird races for some reasons), so it's only fair that humans propose all classes.

Beyond the lore and technical reasons, I find the social/psychological thoughts behind this reasoning making perfect sense.
  12. Rial

Rial Cupcake

Carebear Commander and Balgoss like this.
  13. Alverant

Alverant Cupcake

I'm not buying that. I would think it would be harder to do medic animations for a Granok than an Aurin since Aurin are just humans with hair and tail accessories. Also you'd think that the lore would make Aurin medics instead of inorganic races. If you want to argue that making Chua medics gives them a third option, go ahead, I'd say they should open up Stalkers for them.

I'd also say the animations shouldn't matter if they did them right. All the races have two arms and two legs in the same spots. An animation template should work for every race unless they wanted tog give race-specific animations.
  14. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

If it is animations, wouldn't the Mechari be able to be all classes; sure they are robots but wouldn't they mimic human animations?
  15. Bobz

Bobz New Cupcake

Just be glad as stated that there are humans on both side. When WoW first came out the amount of humans on the alliance side was crazy.. glad to see it will hopefully be more balanced this time around although thats still unlikly

And for the animations they usually create a seperate animation for each race so even if two are similiar they still require the work load of two seperate classes. Also Lore-wise it usually makes sense to limit some races
  16. Rek

Rek Cupcake-About-Town

It's not an argument of which race is easier to make animations for. It's a matter of time. They don't have the time to make animations for every race/class combo by launch so they have to choose.

So why Granok over Aurin? Simple. Aurin have Esper and Spellslinger while Granok have neither. Each race will have at least one tanking and one healing option. Medic is the Granok's only healing option.
  17. Destian

Destian Cupcake-About-Town

I'm more worried that too many people will play exile because of how ridiculously one-sided the trailers are in showing both factions.

I mean, they made the dominion as unappealing as possible, especially compared to the exiles. They should've reversed the genders of the characters in the trailers, at the very least, and had a man introducing the exiles and the redhead from the artwork introducing the dominion. --->

Also, they probably should've made the whole thing seem like more of a gray area, as right now, it sounds like the dominion are clearly the bad guys.
  18. Sapien

Sapien Cupcake-About-Town

...Couse humans is the master race! :p ...jokin, dont want to offend the :alien:'s. :cautious:
  19. Carebear Commander

Well, this thread has confirmed my suspicions about why humans on both sides get to have all the classes (at least initially). I thank everyone for their input (whether I agree with the reasons or not). I'll still follow this thread, but only reply if someone says something interesting. In meantime, free likes to everyone that posted above me!

The class disparity among humans and the other races has inspired me to never make human characters on either faction in protest. I was previously going to try all races to see which ones I like better, but I'm appalled by the blatant human favoritism. ~shakes fist in Carbine's general direction~

When I first discovered Wildstar, I was also worried about everyone choosing Exile because of the way Dominion is portrayed. Aside from the more awesome races being on Dominion, I also chose that faction because Exile is too "mainstream." :roflamo:
  20. Cogburn

Cogburn Cupcake-About-Town

Humans are special. Deal with it. :cool: Watch some Star Trek and play Mass Effect.

But seriously, it's already been said but I think from a design point of view it's a smart thing because people who don't know much about the WildStar universe or who don't like the alien race options of the faction their friends/guild are rolliong on can choose a human and still get the class they want.