1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why do humans get to have all the class options?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Carebear Commander, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Mordakai

Mordakai Cupcake

I have mixed feelings about race restrictions.

On one hand, there is no real reason to limit race/class combos. Lore can be written to justify any combo ( hell, it's a sci-fantasy game).

That said: I think it does make races more important if they are limited in some way. I wasn't going to play an Aurin, but now I will play an Aurin Esper at some point.

I do agree that seeing a Chua Stalker would be cool, and I believe eventually the game will have more combos available.
    Carebear Commander likes this.
  2. Satarn

Satarn Cupcake-About-Town

I'd like to clarify the thing with animations.
    Usually 3d animations operate on "bones", like normal bodies, models have their own joints and such. The animation is made by assigning certain position changes to these parts. You can convert these animations between models(with certain adjustments) as long as they have same bones. Proportions doesn't matter that much.

Now, if you look at the Wildstar races, they seem mostly compatible, with certain exceptions. Humans and Cassians obviously have totally same models, Mordesh, Mechari and Garnoks should share the bones with them. Then you get Drakens with slightly more bones due to the tail animations, Aurin get even more because you also have to take care of their ears. Last you've got the Chua which surely has their own set of different bones thanks to their unique anatomy.

I suspect this is the reason why we still haven't seen the Chua medics and if the Mordesh indeed get engineer(which I really hope they won't) that'd probably mean they couldn't make the Aurin animations in time (we've already seen them in heavy armor so it's not the issue). They could've just used Mechari ones for Mordesh, because they've got almost the same base model : /

As much as I agree with the presentations being indeed good vs evil, I don't think it's a bad thing. Some people just enjoy playing the bad guys and Dominion is "justified" enough to be likable. Just look at all these Chua fans while they are clearly the most "obviously evil" race on the red side.

I fail to see the difference NPC gender makes. Why do you care what does the character introducing you to the faction have in their pants?
  3. Alverant

Alverant Cupcake

I played City of Heroes and that had a huge amount of character customization options all of which had to work with every animation. Not everything was perfect but nearly all of it worked well. I think I could have made a character using any of the races in W* including Chua and have it work just fine for the animations. You don't need to make animations for every race/class combo, you need to make animations versatile enough to handle every race/class combo.
  4. Alverant

Alverant Cupcake

City of Heroes had animated tails and other moving parts all on the same basic skeleton like in W*. Every race has a head, two arms, torso, and two legs. A few have some other parts that can be added on. If a game that's been sundowned for over a year can do it, so can W*.
  5. Satarn

The fact they also had tails and such, doesn't mean they worked the same way as they do in Wildstar. Just because "extra parts" in City of Heroes used the same movement patterns all the time, including during skills, doesn't mean it's the case in W*(it's not). They're integral parts of the animation skeleton, not just an "accessory" you slap on top of the basic model. Wildstar both uses it's own, custom engine and simply has more detailed animations. People often forget that newer games require far more work on the visual part than the older ones and that means more time and also money. It's really not as simple as it seems.

Carbine devs did mention class animations as the reason behind current class restrictions, during the last AMA. Seeing how they want to actually expand them after launch, there is absolutely no other reason for them.
  6. bitbandit

bitbandit Cupcake-About-Town

that's par for the course really, humans don't tend to excel at anything, and so have a wider range of open classes due to that lack of specialization.
  7. Jakedog

Jakedog New Cupcake

I don't think the human race will be overpopulated at launch at all. There are numerous threads on here that would suggest otherwise as well as sweet signatures (which I don't have) that show people's preferred class/race combo and most of which aren't human. Chua's will be by far the largest (not literally :D) played class at launch if I had to speculate. Given the lore about how the humans rebelled to begin with, I would say that the humans are actually the underdog in many cases. To go off on a technical reason as to why they may have allowed humans to play many of the classes, it is because humans are what we know and relate too and synthetically aren't anything out of the ordinary when you're playing a sci-fi mmorpg. Could you imagine the chua being allowed to play every single class? /cry #ratrampage

Just my two cents is all.
  8. Destian

Destian Cupcake-About-Town

If I could find the discussion I would, but there was already a thread about how the exiles got a cute redheaded cowgirl with a gigantic bust introducing their faction and the dominion got a stuffy, middle-aged, british guy introducing theirs.

Which one do YOU think is going to be more appealing to the average male gamer?
  9. Satarn

They're trying to sell the game to western players, not Koreans. They've got Blade and Soul for that.

And then again, Dominion seems popular enough and you know what? It's mostly the crazy hamsters rather than busty Cassian females. Who would've guessed that the "average male gamers" are furries...
  10. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

Its very simple, They need a universal race for both sides...

Not everyone is going to like every race on each side, so having Human which is usually the universal race will help people out who want to play a particular faction/class yet do not like the Alien (unique) races.

As most people do not mind playing human
  11. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

hey now . nothing wrong with a busty lass introducing a faction.
  12. Destian

Destian Cupcake-About-Town

Well, yeah, and westerners largely love the rebels in most conflicts already.

Again, I'm not saying I'VE come to this conclusion (I personally love the chua, granok and mordesh). I'm just saying that the trailers have NOT cast the dominion in a good light, and it doesn't help that the character introducing them is a stereotypical stuffy british dude.

We really cannot make this call until after the game has launched as this forum alone is not a good indicator of how popular each faction will be.

In WoW's beta, it was not at all clear that there would be such a massive imbalance in factions. It wasn't until after launch and all of the players who didn't post on the beta forums rolled in that it became clear just how bad it was.
  13. Rek

Rek Cupcake-About-Town

They choose quality animations that are unique to race/class then making generic ones like older MMOs. Ideally they would have the time & money for all possible combinations before launch but budgets are a reality of any game in development.
    Carebear Commander and Ianpact like this.
  14. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

The reason is obvious.

Racism.

The reason for all of the bad in the world. Trust me on this.
  15. Ralphie2449

Ralphie2449 Cupcake

well and dont forget the human self centerness, believing they are the best, believing the sun was rotating around THEIR planet or putting human traits in superior creatures like gods
  16. Xlugon Pyro

Like I said: it's racism!
  17. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

zomg i havent seen you in like weeks man! and yes . racism.
  18. Xlugon Pyro

School causes interwebular intermissions. D:
  19. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

20. Shrez

Shrez New Cupcake

I played Orcs Trolls Asura now it´s time for Humans