1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why does no one consider facebook an option?

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Seventhday, May 27, 2013.

1. Seventhday

Seventhday New Cupcake

I've been kicking the idea around of forming a casual/hardcore raiding guild for this game and wanted to know why no one is talking about Facebook as a means of communication to make this work. FB is the most convenient form of communication I can think of. For example, I can get notifications right to my smart phone! So, I guess what I'm asking is, why not?
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well...because it's Facebook...should say enough :p

Just kidding, but Facebook isn't something with alot of privacy, a guild site can be more private however. So people don't always have Facebook, but it's easy to log into some guild site/forum.

A guild site wants to know my age, sex and my Nickname....Facebook wants to know everything! Damn even if your account should be linked to other things! So they just want to keep an eye on you even if your off Facebook!.....:cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious: That's just the new way of Stalking!!

Also You say Facebook, some say twitter other say (whatever you got). Also Managing a site, as a guild master is much more convenient then running a FB page. FB isn't ideal in my eye's.

Also i stopped using FB this year, I've been officially CLEAN for a year now!
    Draogon likes this.
  3. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

Without sounding like a complete troll (which i'm sure is all that will be taken away from this post) is because it's...well...Facebook.
  4. Draogon

OH EM GEE, beat me too it gdi
  5. purplestreak

purplestreak New Cupcake

I can't really speak for everybody, but I know for me, I like to keep my facebook and other stuff filled with only people I know in real life. That's kinda why I'm hesitant to add anyone I may know from a guild on there or join a guild facebook group. I mean yea, I may know them as very friendly guildmates, but I also don't really know them either. I dunno, guess for me, I'd rather keep it purely personal.
    Albireo20 likes this.
  6. Seventhday

Seventhday New Cupcake

lol, this is what I figured. I think my thing is, I don't need to have my gamer life private. I cant say I love everything about facebook, but everyone I know uses it and that network is priceless. Furthermore, It's free! Sometimes I feel like online community shy away from things which are very popular because it doesnt suit their self image. I know this has been the case for me in the past. Is this what you are also dealing with? It's more of a self-perception that gamers don't use facebook?
  7. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Any self respecting male should be nowhere near Facebook in this day and age.
    tubthumper and Thrice like this.
  8. Draogon

I sit in my man cave and play games, why exactly would i want to do any more socializing than i already do with the people in the MMO world!?!?
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I wish it's so easy......i started 2 years ago and i lasted for 1 year on facebook.

Reason for ever beginning: People in my class wouldn't want to communicate trough mail for school, and even my teachers asked me to ''just get facebook''. It's like ''oh no facebook? Well be ready for an F''......

Facebook ruins more then it adds :coffee:

Now my classmates + teachers can all <REDACTED> off cause i'll never go online again!!!
    Sylph likes this.
  10. Seventhday

Seventhday New Cupcake

Life is about the connections you make with other people. plain and simple. Facebook is a useful tool to foster better relationships though the convinces it provides in communicating with groups. Anyway what I'm really hearing, which is perfectly logical, is that sometimes its nice to keep online and real life separate. This is something I will consider when putting my community together.
    Plix likes this.
  11. purplestreak

purplestreak New Cupcake

For me, it's more about, yea my guild leader may be nice guy in-game at all. But how is he on a personal level? Is he a total creep? Not sociable at all? I know there was one instance in one of the games where we had a creepy facebook stalker guildmate in one of my guilds. So yea, that pretty much killed that idea for me, right then and there >.>.

Like I said, I know some guilds have done it, and it works for them. But I'm too paranoid to do it haha.
    Draogon likes this.
  12. Draogon

PLUS isn't this just asking for trouble when say a hot female turns up in game (yes i said female) and then someone in the guild starts stalking? Yup i've seen that without them having access to pictures etc
    Isa likes this.
  13. Seventhday

Seventhday New Cupcake

thanks for your feed back. Then, what works best for you? website hosting/mumble combo? I feel like thats alot of money if it isnt used all the time.
  14. Draogon

Website and VOIP can cost you sweet nothing if you would sooner not pay. Private servers aren't exactly expensive however, although I can understand not everyone can justify paying out for those things.
  15. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Facebook is the most destructive social tool since the television.
    tubthumper, Dragon and Azhdaha like this.
  16. Homeslice

Homeslice Cupcake

You could always make a "character" Facebook profile and still keep your personal life separate. I am friends with a chunk of folks from my previous guilds but we were all pretty close.
  17. purplestreak

purplestreak New Cupcake

You can do enjin website and mumble if you want to stay really cheap.
  18. Classix

Classix Cupcake

Facebook + Guild = Drama.
  19. Seventhday

Seventhday New Cupcake

Yeah, it does seem affordable. I'm going to research a lot more. I figure the games not do for awhile, so I do have sometime.
  20. PatriotBob

PatriotBob Cupcake

Honestly, while I'm considering bring my guild out of retirement for WildStar, I'm writing a guild site from scratch. Being a programmer by trade, I understand it's not a feasible option for most, but for me it let's me grow as a developer and potential offer a unique set of tools for managing my guild I can't get anywhere else.
    (And to be honest, a lot of the basics are really simple. Forums, News, blah, blah...)

Bottom line though, if you trying find a place for a mid/large size guild to organize you're going to need the proper tools to do so. Which generally means stand alone site, the know-how to run it and the time to do so. There are plenty of free apps you can use for forums, blogs, etc if you are ok with being terrible and using php. (Sorry wildstar-central... :p )