1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why does no one consider facebook an option?

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Seventhday, May 27, 2013.

1. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Wordpress is an option too, there are community mods for it and template can be made from scratch or adapted from whatever free template you decide on - plenty of tutorials out there too, if you are new at it.

A bit of plugin coding and you can add whatever type of extra feature fitting a guild that you can think of. Social login plugins adds support by a wide range of social media, so wether people have facebook, google, twitter, etc.etc. they can use it to log into the site.

Flexibility is depending on wether or not you host it yourself afaik.
  2. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

I've always been curious why u have Donald Glover as your account image? o.o And yes facebook is dumb, but unfortunately if i delete mine I have no means of contacting many of my professors...
  3. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

Used Facebook religiously for a year. <REDACTED> Facebook, most bent thing ever. 'Quitting' Facebook was the best decision I've ever made.
  4. Freelancer

Freelancer Cupcake-About-Town

We use Skype, Facebook (both a group and page), Google+, Steam, Forums, Twitter, and Teamspeak for "Social" interaction. All of those tools are not "just there", every single one of them is used by 100+ people (even our skype chat, lol).

That aside, my point is this: Do you want to invite members into your community who are welcome to use whatever platform they are comfortable with? Or do you want to add a requirement and force them to use "xx" system?

I hate Facebook too, but it doesn't mean members in my community should be "yes men" and hate it as well. My thoughts is that as a community leader you should provide as many tools as possible to provide for as many demographics as you can. Before you say "how do i update them all", there are tools for that. We use 2 tools that with one "submit" sends to all of the aforementioned communities. Works great :)
  5. Sera Serenity

Sera Serenity Cupcake-About-Town

I have been in guilds that tried face book (GW2 and TSW), worked fine for casual stuff, but for fixing raid groups, and areas where we could keep links to guides, ect, it did not work (including having to have separate links to things like google docs), integration was the issue.
  6. Cretz

Cretz Cupcake

Not everyone has a Facebook. I'm one.
  7. Nunchi

Nunchi Cupcake

Last thing I need is a reason to use facebook..
  8. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Because i disabled mine, don't need people tracking me, don't need future employers searching me, don't need any of that really.

Facebook is good if you want to network, once i start dj'ing again and producing somethings i find name worthy i'll open one up. For the rest it's simply a glorified MSN with too many regrets in the future.
  9. Victim

Victim New Cupcake

Heh I wouldn't want my friends and family know all the weird gaming <REDACTED> I get upto lol they just wouldnt understand that we have to kill a dragon at 8:30pm.
    Cool idea tho for a casual guild, just make new accounts and you are good to go
  10. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

Facebook has ZERO privacy, an akward way of talking/chatting, advertisments, unwanted suggestions, you name it. I use it to keep in touch with some friends, as we are spread all over the world, but would never consider it for any daily activity.

There is free forum software out there, and you can get cheap hosting at as little as 5$ per month, to be independent. Domain name is 10 per year, or less. Anyone can setup a forum, a 10 year old can, fact you have never done it, shouldn't stop you. There are detailed guides and people around willing to help on:)

Or you can just use any of the guild site hosting services, free or premium. Easiest of all the options, by far.
  11. Ebrech

Ebrech New Cupcake

I guess it depends which type of person you are. Our guild has been using the Social Media heavily to recruit and find new members and stay in touch as well, but we also have a very active Guild website. I agree it's not for everyone but you could always make a social page just for your Avatar.
    Also some of the more tight knit guild tend to create bonds with online friends that goes a long way.
    If you would give your phone number to a guild leader so that they can contact you for guild event, then why not Facebook or Twitter or just Email? In the end it's often at the least for conveniences. Especially for PVP games where you would need to rally your friends fast to defend an outpost or something.

~*English is not my first language*~