1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Why use stylized graphic style for Wildstar

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by SiegaPlays, Feb 11, 2013.

1. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

We see it again and again. People, who thinks the graphic style of Wildstar is childish, garbage and like wow, and thus think the game is for children, bad and a wow clone.

The choice of graphics is fairly obvious, if you can see past WoW aversions and look at the game itself and what we have from Carbine so far about the game.

Blizzard made the same decision years ago that Carbine studio made less years ago too. They wanted a game, that looks good in years to come. That is the link between the choice of graphic style, when comparing the two.

It is a well known fact that stylized graphic age a lot better than the realistic style does.

The graphic style is chosen for sustainability. In 10 year graphic realism games from this year will look aged and faded compared to Wildstar, because the realistic graphic style does not adapt well over time, while stylized graphics keep up appearance.

The characters and npcs are also able to emote a wider range of moods using simple means without stumbling directly into the uncanny valley. Take into that it simply fits the mood of space cowboy humour Carbine seem to love (me and a lot of others too!) and strikes right in the heart of lovers of different types of entertainment, that has inspired Carbine.
    A good deal of us well above the age of some of the most adamant critics of using stylized graphics.

Blizzard was just the first one with a real blockbuster stylized graphic hit - however, I doubt WoW would have survived with as many subs today, had they chosen a different graphic style.
    Zaelia, ruff_ethereal, Lucera and 9 others like this.
  2. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

I think this is on the nose best reason and very key in expanding content. They can be more flexible faster with current and new content.
    ruff_ethereal and SiegaPlays like this.
  3. Chaii

Chaii Cupcake

Gameplay > all.
  4. Manes

Manes Cupcake-About-Town

Not only that, but this style of graphics are very easy on lower end machines. Which in turn, gives people that don't want to spends $$$ on the latest and greatest to be able to play comfortably.
  5. Zerdav

Zerdav Cupcake-About-Town

You don't have to justify or defend yours or Carbine's love for this style. It's an artistic choice, and not even the fact that it ages well is important.

What is exactly the point of this thread Siega? What do you want out of it?
  6. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

I like seeing games that I'd be able to run on my laptop when I go visit family. GW2 and SWTOR never ran at all. It's also a game I could possibly get my sister to try, she's young, lives at home but has a computer that's not built with gaming in mind. It still runs some games so it's exciting that I might get to play with more family due to the graphic choices that they've made.
  7. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

One of the difference between WS and WoW is that WoW uses realistic graphics in there advertisements and trailers. WS still uses the same style as they do in game. I would also say that SW is embracing a more light heart tone tone then WoW. Look at the trailer for MoP and it's all fighting and guns. Well the trailer for WS is a lot more light hearten and funny.
  8. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

I prefer stylized graphics myself. It's easier to suspend belief and get hooked into a fantasy/virtual world I think.

That said, I have had some comments from friends that make me think they might be a tad *too& stylized for some, even those who love games like WoW. But we'll see. I love it :)
    JarNod likes this.
  9. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

At the end of the day, artistic design is always going to be subjective. You either like it, or you don't. Telling someone Wildstar looks AMAZING, which to me it does, won't convince them if they don't like it because they just have a different preference.

I mean, I don't even care about the reason for stylistic graphics. I think it's a bonus that in five years it'll still look great, and I think it's a bonus that it can run on a variety of systems. I'd want this style of graphic though if it was a single player game.

There's a reason Hotline Miami was so popular recently. As someone mentioned, it's the gameplay that gets us and keeps us. =D

But I'm in love with their artists and this world, and I can't wait to dive into it and post screenshots all over the interwebs come release. The colors and the design in general really are website/blog friendly. ^^
    ruff_ethereal, Izukar and Zerdav like this.
  10. Ender

Ender Well-Known Cupcake

I think one thing can be said for sure, and that is that Carbine has a sense of humor, and the style reflects that. Personally, I love it. If people choose not to play it because "it's for kids", or bad, based on the aesthetics alone without looking into the game, then my guess would be those people are way too focused on seeming mature and "cool" and generally lack said sense of humor in general, and won't be missed me.
    If people dislike it for other reasons, fair enough :p

Like Patrician, I'd totally play this game even if it was a singleplayer game.
    Izukar, SiegaPlays, Patrician and 2 others like this.
  11. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

The point of this thread was in response to a question in the Arkship thread attacking Wildstar for its cartoony style and accusing it of copying WoW in order to siphon their players. Plus, it's something that we've seen repeated again and again over the past year.
  12. Zerdav

I know, but what are we supposed to discuss?
  13. nomotog

Well normally these kinds of threads are started by someone who dosen't like the art style so the entire forum takes turns jumping on them. Not sure what we can do when everyone agrees.
    Snufler likes this.
  14. Evion

Well, I suppose the pros and cons of the stylized look? And since Zap didn't want this type of conversation clogging the question thread, it had to be moved here. Sure, it's not going to be as deep a discussion as end game difficulty or similar threads, but a well-written post about opinions and looking into reasonings to defend the style is still a valid post. Or do you believe he should've just kept quiet?
    Izukar likes this.
  15. Evion

Plus, newer people and those not as savvy with design may not be as familiar with these terms and reasonings. I remember first learning about graphic aging during my first years of WoW.
  16. nomotog

Apart from not being realistic, what are the cons? I can think of about a billion pros from aging well to being cheap to simply being nice to look at. I can't really think of too many cons except that it really dose look a little too much like WoW.
  17. Zerdav

It's not about keeping quite it's about having nothing to say.
    Are we going to argue some ones taste?
    And listing reasons how stylised ages well or runs better will not shut anyone up as their problem is aesthetic one.

As I said, there is nothing to defend or justify here, especially not to people that don't understand the word childish.
  18. Ingsoc

Ingsoc Cupcake-About-Town

Good post Siega. For anyone who is unsure of the game because of the art style, this might sway them by helping them understand the benefits.

Personally, I love the look of the game. It kinda almost looks like a Pixar movie to me :)
    Izukar likes this.
  19. Rakkis

Rakkis Cupcake

Yeah I never really understood why people would automatically discount a game because it didn't look "real" enough. I mean as long as it doesn't look like a two year old drawings I'm fine with it
  20. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

can Carbine please talk to Pixar (or vice versa) about getting a movie made???? I would omgsqueeee about that one!
    Izukar and SiegaPlays like this.