Wildstar Beta Scams

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Rundo, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Rundo

Rundo Cupcake

At the moment the Twitter #wildstar is being flooded with a "free wildstar beta key" scam, also on Youtube there is a video going around that shows how to get free beta keys for Wildstar.

Please don't be one of those fools that falls for these obvious scams. If you are greedy and dumb enough to click on them, then you deserve to be hacked....

The only way to get beta access is to sign up on the official page
  2. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

I would take the chance to get hacked for a beta invite......
    Reiyhn, FlamingRuby and Nezk like this.
  3. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Carbine has outright stated that keys are tied to e-mail. You're not taking a chance; you're literally asking for it.

Trust official sources, please.

May you and everyone else get a Beta key.
    Kataryna likes this.
  4. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

there is no such thing as a "beta key",your account can receive beta access,but carbine doesn't send you any key,they have outlined that many times
  5. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Op is barking up the wrong tree. Generally those who are stupid enough to fall for such stunts are not the ones who visit forums.
    Tiberius, Reiketsu and celestria like this.
  6. Shynx

Shynx New Cupcake

op also stated that the people falling for these scams deserve it. so he is working against his own philosophy
  7. Pyaray

Pyaray Carbine Studios

That's not true. We do send keys. But keys are non-transferable. When you redeem the key, you aren't allowed to enter your e-mail address, the key is assigned to a specific e-mail address. If you use a key that wasn't sent to you, you won't be able to get the confirmation e-mail, the download instructions, or reset your password, but they will.
    Ghaskamin, SirRobin, Dyraele and 6 others like this.
  8. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

This is brilliant. Very cleaver Carbine, bravo.
    Myrrdhinn, ruff_ethereal and Kataryna like this.
  9. Hellspawnx

Hellspawnx Cupcake

Reading this makes me feel like you guys are going in the right direction. If you guys are this creative with beta access I cant wait to see what systems you have in place for botters :)
    ruff_ethereal and Miatog like this.
  10. Valento

Valento Cupcake

That's actually very simple and do the job perfectly, universal keys aren't always safe.
  11. xW10

xW10 New Cupcake

What happens if you forget the e-mail you used, though?
  12. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

Then you won't even know whether you received an invite or not because Carbine will send it to your e-mail address and if you can't log in to it, you can't check it. :p
    CaptainYoul likes this.
  13. xW10

xW10 New Cupcake

So wait, this is not relevant for the full version of the game (when it will be released)?
  14. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

I have no idea, but my guess is, after launch you'll have an option to change your e-mail address.
  15. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Though as hairbrained it may seem to us to react on those scams, I have no doubt some people do.

Basically it means participating in beta is like getting access to a member forum, if you do not confirm your ownership of the email connected, you are regarded a spambot and denied access. Except you delay the confirmation for the actual beta invite rather than the sign up - smart move.

Is this a typical way of doing it for beta testers?

I have usually betatested games where I already were part of their user base on another game, and the few other games I have joined for beta only confirmed account info on initial signup, not later on at the beta invite.

Out of curiosity, do Carbine have an idea about how many registered seem to have done so with fake/typod emails? I remember only one email related to beta registering from Carbine that required some sort of action. Not that my memory goes further back than my last chunk of chocolat though :rolleyes:
  16. Pyaray

Pyaray Carbine Studios

It is not typical of the games I've been in beta for. I haven't been in a lot of betas (not a lot of time), but usually the keys aren't tied to accounts. We didn't used to have keys tied to accounts, but we had "issues" early on. So we solved the "issues".

Not really, you can't tell easily if an e-mail is fake or typo'd, unless it's just badly formed, like e-mail addresses do not contain spaces. For the most part though, e-mails can be anything. You can't tell till you try to send to it. We do know how many of our e-mails bounce or refuse connection. That's about the only metric we get for bad e-mail addresses.
    BlueDragon18 likes this.
  17. Painguin

Painguin Cupcake

If you see a website that supposedly "giving away beta keys" then it's fake. They are scamming you or planning to hack you. Don't give them any information, or download anything, just ignore the website.
  18. Rufk

Rufk Cupcake

I made this same thread and got closed by the admin because according to the Admin we shouldn't give it more light to these scams...

I think it's better to aware people than overlook these scams but that's me.
    BlueDragon18 likes this.
  19. MassFragg

MassFragg Cupcake

I know blizzard has a an email you send the scams to, does carbine have the same thing?
    They likes this.
  20. Rivele

Rivele Cupcake

if your a person to get scammed from a beta scam site then maybe your the type of person that should wait until final release. (this goes to anyone willing fall for it.)