1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Wildstar dev: "We can fill the World of Warcraft void"

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Lucker McNoob, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Lucker McNoob

Lucker McNoob Cupcake

World of Warcraft keep losing subscribers, Wildstar wants to pick 'em right up with their unique structure. Wildstar's Stephan Frost says:

"We're coming out at a time when WoW is losing subscribers and we can fill the void for people who want an MMO that's deep, hardcore, but also accessibile to people."

(I like that he said hardcore. :up:)

Read the whole thing over at MCV:
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/wildstar-dev-we-can-fill-the-world-of-warcraft-void/0116800

(Lock/delete if old!)

2. Pejo

Pejo Cupcake-About-Town

Meh, he shouldn't be allowed to speak at anymore interviews. What a waste of an article to say that and stir up some drama between players. Even if Wildstar does well now, it'll always be '<REDACTED>' since it didn't 'kill' WoW.

Miatog likes this.
  3. Drapetomania

Drapetomania Cupcake

Mmm, hardcore. I prefer things that are hardcore.

4. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby Cupcake-About-Town

As far as i can understand he didnt say they will ''kill'' wow but they will provide a home to the people leaving wow if they need an MMO that's deep, hardcore, but also accessibile to people.

Androssi, Rai, Mudfin and 2 others like this.
  5. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Exactly, its the people that spin the quotes into something that's not there, who create the drama between players.

@Lucker, while this article you linked is from todays date, hes taking that from an interview that was out last week or so on video.

6. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Cupcake

Who has said they are out to ''kill'' wow.. only one MMO has really thrown that out there in their advertising as far as i know, and that was Rift with its ''You're not in azeroth anymore'' campaign.

But that aside, why shouldn't he talk at interviews anymore because of this? and stirring up drama? he is stirring nothing up, FACT of the matter is that wow is in a decline. Everybody knows this and everybody has seen this. The titan announcement is what people have been hanging for, and a lot of people have been playing wow just to wait for titan. Now that is simply out of the way, titan is gone for years to come and there is no secret in that. Right now ESO and Wildstar are the two larger contenders stepping in to the market right as wow is in a bad state of it's decline. How is he stirring anything up by stating true fact of what everyone already knows?

Milamilou likes this.
  7. Outburstz

Outburstz Cupcake-About-Town

Ok bringing up wow in a competitive way like that is just a no no.

Even if people hate WoW right now it is still the top dog and the main MMO for the past 8 years. Many games have tried to "kill" WoW but have failed. The last thing you want to do is to get the player base to choose between your new , untested game and a game that has 8 years of history prestige and nostalgia behind it.

Because trust me if it is a choice between the two WoW will win out every time. It just has too much history in the minds of MMOers as a whole.

Just focus on making the best game that you can and then let the chips fall as they may. Don't start anything that could lead to a rift in players.

Sawpaw likes this.
  8. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Cupcake

Where are they saying ''leave wow come here''? they are saying they want to pick up players to fill the void, in other words, people have already left wow... where do they want to go? what game do they want to move to? he is saying Wildstar is an option.

It is people like you who come out and say ''they said they are a wow killer'' that spread rumors and start all the bull stuff in the first place, them saying they are coming out at a time when wow is losing subs so it is a prime time for them to try pick those up who have left is not a direct challenge to wow, until you turn it in to one.

Rai, Mudfin, SiegaPlays and 2 others like this.
  9. Lucker McNoob

Lucker McNoob Cupcake

Aw man, sucks when they do that.

10. Kleev

Kleev Cupcake-About-Town

It's hilarious to me that people take this negatively. It's really nice to see that they are confident in what they are doing, and they've never once said they are competing with WoW or trying to steal players (which they will).

Reading comprehension is going to <REDACTED> these days.

Xlugon Pyro and Mudfin like this.
  11. Lucker McNoob

Lucker McNoob Cupcake

I like the whole thing with Carbine having "structures" to prevent them from making the same mistakes others have made before them. Everything they say seems very well thought out and at this point that is really something I need from a new mmorpg. Been burned so many times since I left WoW.. :cry:

12. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

Not anywhere in that article is saying anything bad about wow. all he stated was the fact wow is losing subs so this is about the best time to come out and hopefully pick up those players.

He never once says this game will kill or even take subs off wow.
    He never says this game is better than wow
    Think the Dev's for this game are refreshing open and quite honest.

Rai likes this.
  13. Blackbook

Blackbook New Cupcake

As soon as I saw 40 main raids, I was in.

Oh I miss vanilla warcraft so.....

14. F8L Fool

F8L Fool Cupcake-About-Town

The only quote that matters to me from Carbine, in regards to World of Warcraft, is the one from Jeremy Gaffney during a PAX presentation. He said "I don't care if we pull a single player out of WoW," in response to whether or not they were trying to compete with them.

Why? Because there are millions of players that have already quit WoW and don't want to play it. Far more than are currently playing it now. Foster expresses that exact sentiment when he says Wildstar can "fill the void." Not pulling people away, but giving those that already quit a viable alternative for a change.

Here is the video I am quoting (fast forward to 50:22):

15. Draahl

Draahl Cupcake-About-Town

Bold statement, i hope its true :)

16. Diskord

Diskord New Cupcake

well i had to re-read the whole article aswell, it's actually not that bad.
    They should just avoid the W word like the plague.

17. Catdurid

Catdurid Cupcake

This is kinda lame.

Games such as Rift, or GW2 have already put people off with what they have done.

People are sick of the arrogance towards WoW from upcoming mmos. Don't even mention WoW.

Another quote I don't care for.
    “We’re making something that’s different,”

This quote could be taken out of context, but they really aren't making something different. Isn't this the complete opposite of what Jeremy has been saying in a ton of interviews? That they are not afraid of Wildstar being an mmorpg, and just plan to make their classic mmo features kick ass? Seriously, people are tired of hearing that new age in mmo hype bull<REDACTED>.

I could keep going on and on about this, but I'm kinda feeling tired. I'm just going to mash on my keyboard for awhile, pretending its all coherent text, then go to bed. erhth edhedhe e rherhet etjttrjrtqwelkfnoe nw eooe infoenfw wenf onf weononf mmm peanut butter opisdjgbvoi opigouihg askcondsmv.

:sleep:

18. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

I don't see anything inflammatory if people actually read what it states.
    (what means reading beyond the header before throwing your toys around)

It's true WoW has become so accessible you can literally get to the final boss of this raid tier not doing anything, there's even a video of that proving it. So players sick and tired of having to carry others and the game rewarding such bad behavior to the point even some people here on these forums find it acceptable that such players don't have to put in any effort (check some responses in my thread under my sig).

Will swap to more challenging games, why do you think guilds are looking out for wildstar at the moment? It's not because WoW has become such a good pool for talented players or challenging gameplay.

Shynx likes this.
  19. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

If they were doing something completely different like most people interpret something like that comment to be, then they would be making something else than a hybrid themepark MMORPG. But then it would be a "pick whatever name of the top game in another genre" clone people talk about instead.

Carbine is making something that is different. It is all about how they implement the standard expected features and how they implement new stuff and what story they have to tell. Some of it may have been seen before, but not in this particular packaging and implementation.

Different is picking a playstyle you prefer, so a good chunk of content is not the same as everyone else on the same faction, but gives you more of the selected playstyle both for levelling and at elder game and adding synergi to grouping with people of the same or other playstyles - and that is different.

Different is a wider selection of how to socialize in a larger team environment by not only having guilds as is the standard, but adding war parties and cirles and adding rewarding gameplay to helping others. That IS different.
    Different is balanced xp'ing, so you are able to pick various ways to level without feeling punished for picking your favorite way or having to pick the less fun of grinding for the most efficient way. That IS different.
    Different is making housing a huge deal in the game and not just for decoration purposes. That IS different.

Different is the itemization, which is more related to how swtor does it (and possibly other games I have not played) than anything remotely like WoW in comparison to a wider range of games than just one.

So yes, it is not just a platitude, Carbine intend to make something different.

Then so again did a lot of games that some people choose to use clichés such as "wow clone" on, because they are worn out on theme parks and can't see beyond that a game has quests and quests hubs. I do not really care for judging a game by anything but its own merits and feature implementation and if comparing it should not just be against one other game, but all the other games of the somewhat same genre :p

Even with all the differences in the game there are people screaming "wow clone" as soon as they see the graphic style of Wildstar - even if the style has differences within the chosen style. It could be a first person shooter and those same people would scream wow clone based on graphic style, which tells more about the people than the game.

To quote what I wrote on Massively:

20. Auxiliary

Auxiliary Cupcake

That was one terrible article :p