1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Wildstar devs must be thinking hmmmmm

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mayjinx, Aug 4, 2013.

1. selodaoc

selodaoc Cupcake-About-Town

Did you seriously bring up LoL, a MOBA? The gametypes are nothing alike at any point.

Without Holy Trinity there is only zerg.
    You cant control fights and it just turns into a kity chaotic mess where enemies run around all over the place.
    Fighting in dungeons in GW2 is basicly everyone doing as much DPS as possible and the person with agro kites like a monkey until some else takes agro and repeats the process.
    Theres no strategy or tactics involved whatsoever, just mindless zerging.
    Theres no "team" without holy trinity, everyone plays for themselves, your so buys avoiding mobs flying around everywhere that neither do you care what the others are doing.
    All the while the heavy armor guy desperatly tries to get agro or atleast cc the mobs without succes.
    Its really really horrible.

Watched the TESO presentation and it was equally as horrible there. The crab enemies where all over the place, one person did some AoE and all adds instantly ran for that person, another person ran his own marathon all over the place back and forth.
  2. Kleev

Kleev Cupcake-About-Town

The WildStar devs are probably laughing at yet another game trying to "revolutionize" the MMO genre instead of improving on what people actually want. EQN and ESO both look horrible for hardcore MMO players, and more disturbingly seem to stray from their predecessors in nature. I'd be pissed if I were a fan of either franchise.
    ArdentSun likes this.
  3. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

There has to be a trinity system for a PvE themepark MMO to work. Guild Wars 2 is for all intents and purpose a PvP game, so it is fine that it does not have one, but it's PvE suffers horribly because of it.
  4. salazar

salazar Cupcake-About-Town

I dont understand why you make that conclusion. All he comments on is that a class will be able to play more than 1 role. So that when you start out as a level 1 warrior, you arent locked as a tank for your entire gaming experience. He then talks about the possibility for people to use the system to make hybrid specs, but i dont really see what that changes in the regards to holy trinity.
  5. Gahnzo

Gahnzo New Cupcake

I think there is still a lot not know about EverQuest Next to start this game. Obviously still heavily under development, which you could tell just from the videos. It looks cool, but I would say both EverQuest and WildStar will have very fun and unique features to satisfy the masses.

On another note, has anyone noticed EverQuests combat looks EXACTLY like WildStar? Action based combat is the future for mmos, finally!
  6. EtherealOmega

EtherealOmega Cupcake-About-Town

EQN looks pretty cool graphically with the destructible environment, but I must say the changes to core MMO mechanics is not a good sign long-term. Games that mess with that typically end up either in the red or as mainly PvP games. We shall see what else gets released over time but I doubt Carbine has done more than chuckle at SOE attempts to revolutionize a genre that just need a little bit of innovation (which Carbine is providing).
  7. Socoth

Socoth New Cupcake

I have not really read much on EQ, but I have been looking at TESO. I think they are really shooting themselves in the foot from the get go. If you seen the fan comments they are hyping ( or where) the world pvp with 3 factions claiming huge battles of 200-300+ players. While that sounds good on paper it doesn't work too well in game. DAOC did the same thing and because of the "if I can't beat them I'll join them" complex it ended up being say 45 Albs Vs 7 Mid VS 15 Hibs. At that time there where only a handful of MMO's to choose from now is not the same case.

In short I think while it will do very well off the press, it will start to taper off a bit when it starts to get unbalanced.
  8. Draahl

Draahl Cupcake-About-Town

I honestly think all they did was "cool game, ok lets get back to work". Its such a different game, and it appears to be such a casual game. I liked it tho, EQN is gonna be fun to try when it gets here.
    But it wont be my main mmo, without the serious raiding part im a no go for launch ;)
  9. EtherealOmega

TESO is going to be a PvP oriented MMO. Everything about their play style and mechanics screams it. It will bring in a lot of non-MMO players into a MMO game because of its IP but that they will not stick with it once they realize its not Skyrim.
  10. WoodGoat

WoodGoat Cupcake

TESO will not be focused on PvP. First person melee combat in PvP is going to be atrocious.

That being said EQN doesn't interest me in the slightest. The movement looks clunky and while there are some interesting mechanics I fail to see how things like being able to parkour your way around will remain interesting as time goes by.
    Mukesh likes this.
  11. EtherealOmega

TESO is not a first-person based game...
  12. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Comparing EQN and WildStar is like comparing apples to oranges, they are two games aimed at two totally different audiences. SOE is also a very different company than Carbine and it really effects how they develop their games. SOE has a large portfolio of small, cheaply made, cheap to run titles with small audiences. Because of this each SOE title can be pretty niche and find it's own audience, allowing for more crazy design choices for these specialized markets.

EQN is going to be a niche title for a small audience.

WildStar is trying to be the next big MMO.

Unlike EQN, Wildstar has to appeal to a pretty wide array of players, it has to attract hardcore PvE'ers and PvP'ers and is aimed to be more content driven and less of a sandbox. Why does Wildstar have the holy trinity? Because there are a few million MMO veterans out there who are looking for it for their hardcore PvE experience. EQN doesn't need it because it doesn't factor into their destructible sandbox RPG design.

Will EQN be competition for Wildstar? Maybe, in the same way that EVE Online is competition for Wildstar.
    Eliat_kuni likes this.
  13. WoodGoat

WoodGoat Cupcake

Just glanced at a recent gameplay video and there is the option to do both. I was mistaken in thinking there wasn't an option, however it still seems like it is intended to be played in the first person POV. Still maintain that the PvP in that game is going to be atrocious.
  14. Luther

Luther New Cupcake

Likewise, EQN didnt give anything that made me go omg! I am totally psyked about that game, I can't wait. If I look at what I noticed:

The expression of the faces were nicely done (the lion growling with his lips/jaw, the look of the faces were nicely done).
    The whole multilayer thing was nice, though not something I'd go nuts about. Could be a nice feature for some areas in WS for the explorer path.
    I do like however the whole idea of non static spawn of mobs! That is by far the most innovative idea of the mmo market to date (IF! they can pull it off! and that is a big IF!) Id like that feature implemented for some mobs in WS, that would make it epic.

What I am mostly peculiar about is this whle smashing og the environment. I am very skeptical about that, especially when I look at what the playerbase will do if turned loose. All the kids will wreck everything up, simply because they can!. Where is the immersion for me in that ? Oh nice another torn down place to look at while I wait for it to be rebuilt by the game ? No thanks! The playerbase of F2P games are in general not ready for such a feature. So a nice idea, that truly needs to be handled by the devs if this isnt to turn out extremely sour.
  15. Drarorm

Drarorm Cupcake-About-Town

EQN really does look awesome and I will definitely have a look at it, though I think there will be a BIG difference between WS and EQN, EQN is more of a sandbox, it doesn't have the holy trinity, it has all this "build the world" things, it's more of a sandbox role-playing game which it will just be fun to run around, from what they showed, I think it will be very casual and a fun experience, though the true MMO experience will be here, hopefully.
  16. Bravadorado

Bravadorado Cupcake-About-Town

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Edit: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Edit2: Okay, I've calmed down and I think I can be serious now. I'm not trying to flame, but I probably only know half the features being put into WS and looking at the EQN stuff... I was literally just sitting there in mumble with my cousin pointing at my screen and laughing my ass off every time the presentation guy spoke basically. Half the intro was talking about their graphics, which aren't so amazing. WildStar has great graphics too, how many times have you heard them talking about them in an interview? They talk about lighting and atmosphere and stuff, but never just about how good the graphics are. It's a lame selling point and it's just fake hype, one of the same things that GW2 did. Granted the graphics are nice, but if you're spending so much time on that it has heavy implications about the quality of the rest of your content (Just like GW2).

Then they talk about the multiple classes and destructible environments and face cam emotes... Who asked for these things in an mmo? They are useless and pretty horrible ideas actually. Destructible environment? What's stopping me from getting several guilds together to pound a night-unrepairable hole in the map? Can I dig a hole under a quest giver and make it so you can't get down to him without a flying mount? Can I destroy the entrance to a dungeon? Just because of this the game is instantly a troll/griefing paradise. There will be people standing around at a bridge you need to cross just constantly blowing it up whenever you repair it (Yes people will in fact do this, awful people). The entire server map will be decimated in days!

Multi-classes the way they described them are a pain in the ass to balance. There will either be FotM or homogenized builds, perhaps in that order.

And the face cam stuff... Just ugh. Who wanted that?! Who?! Accidentally turn it on and now all your friends know that you're pissed at them by looking at your characters face. Your mouth will do crazy stuff when you talk in VoIP. People can watch your face to tell if you are laughing at their joke or not. And don't even get me started on RP and ERP.

And to top all that off they have no holy trinity, which as others have stated (Selodaoc, you are a beacon of hope for my people) and seen in GW2 is just an awful awful idea. The entire game is just full of "cool" ideas that aren't meant to be in an mmo and will almost certainly never work properly with that scale of people. I give it a few days max before the servers crash and burn if the info they have fed us about the environment is true (Apparently for mining you just take a pickaxe and dig through the ground, this won't be broken at all!) because everyone will be destroying stuff for fun.

EQN, imo, will come no where close to rivaling Wildstar, if it even gets out of the gates. I'm not a fan of EQ nor am I going to be playing EQN, and I'm STILL incredibly nervous on behalf of the people who are going to be playing it. As I said earlier, we know maybe half of all the stuff in WildStar and I still can't take EQN seriously or even compare it, let alone think of it as a rival. The devs at Carbine know everything that is in Wildstar, probably more than twice as much as I know, so I'm pretty sure that they aren't worried in the slightest.
    CaRaDaGaiTa likes this.
  17. Dedlaw

Dedlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah gonna agree on that - no holy trinity? ZEEEERG FEEEEEST!
  18. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

Ardent sun said everything, EQN will suck wrinkled balls.

Multi-class? that sucks, i hate that, people just want to feel they have a role in the game.
    No holy-trinity? You mean, <REDACTED>ty dungeons like gw2?
    Constructive, destructive world? You mean, minecraft online?

Stupid game
  19. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

Hahahahahahahha i'd love to do those things, hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha xD
  20. Liris

Liris Cupcake-About-Town

They already stated that griefing of that nature will not be viable. And the world heals. I bet it heals rather quickly. And some people will complain about just how quickly.

I'm looking forward to WS more than EQN, it is more of "my" type of game. But I actually expect EQN will have more players (eta-Because I'm pretty sure it's going to be on Ps4). EQ is a large franchise. You can start playing it for free. They will be successful in what they are going for. EQN and WS are very different games. They can easily coexist, no need for them to be rivals.