1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WildStar DevSpeak - Aiming

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Ico, Jul 11, 2013.

1. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

The article I linked in my post says that there are already players making mods, players that prefer playing with free mouse look only as opposed to holding right mouse button down in order to aim. I doubt that this is as difficult as the TC wants to believe it is. Gamers adapt, gamers learn, gamers play. New things shouldn't be feared, and it looks like Carbanie has this under control, thankfully and fortunately there are mods out there and things like "cancelling button" shouldn't be difficult to implement by either third party or the developers themselves.
    Apostate likes this.
  2. Sumner Radix

Sumner Radix New Cupcake

That ending was hilarious! So much for the save the Rowsdower petition.
    Kataryna likes this.
  3. Warslyfe

Warslyfe Cupcake

Yeah, it will probably be a double tap hotkey or hold and release hotkey to see telegraphs with the option to turn it off completely. While that may give clickers an advantage in one area (aiming) they're still gimped in movement/reaction, so maybe that's going to be the tradeoff? All the top end users won't use the telegraph queue system anyways if you can turn it off so they'll still just be hitting one key to fire off skills.

I use a gamepad so I live and die by hotkeys as well but, if that means I can't use the telegraph queue so be it. I'll probably just mod in a targeting reticle anyways (thinking the infamous 3 dot pattern for my Draken Stalker lol).

Man you got me all worried too, maybe I'll hit em up on twitter see if I can get some answers...
    Apostate likes this.
  4. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

Just slightly at the end of this video there was some character (couldn't recognize, probably some dominion breed;)). She was dancing around huge mob running and shooting at the same time which makes me think that it may work like this:
    - telegraphs always point in a direction you are looking and when you press 2 (skill key) telegraph is shown and when you release 2, spell is cast. But if you tap the key, telegraph will appear only for a fraction of a second (exactly as short time as short your key press/tap was). This let you move and shot instant spells which do not require you to stay in place. Edit: And even those which need to be charged, you just have to keep your target in sight. But this remains to be seen as all the spells which required charging shown in previous videos also required you to stay still. Although, this could have been already changed in beta as they mentioned something about people not liking spells which forced them to stop moving.
    Sonntam likes this.
  5. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

You are pure evil! :devilish:
  6. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

The will have there revenge....
  7. NILVIO

NILVIO Cupcake

I dont know how its going to work. But way i see it working is that with freeform aiming you are going to click hotkeys to show telegraphs, and shoot skills with mouse1.
    Slackerfett likes this.
  8. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Wow, those bunnies multiply fast, they were never-ending. :)
  9. FoolishLobster

FoolishLobster Cupcake

Looks like the death of mouse clickers in this game. Being sub-par is no longer an option. Thank you Carbine!
    ruff_ethereal, Leiloni, Haoli and 2 others like this.
  10. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

I'll throw my vote in with pushing hot-key (2 in the example) Brings up telegraph and releasing said button commits to the attack.

I don't see this working because of being able to move forward with both the left and right mouse buttons held down, and they show Attacks while people are moving.
  11. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

Watching that video, I think I want to see some sort of permanent targeting UI. Not a crosshair like they showed in their "discard pile," but like, when he would do a linear targeted skill, it would draw a rectangle on the ground, right? What I would like to see is a single line like that, only perhaps much thinner, that stays up ALL the time, with any move. This way, I would know exactly where my character's center line" is. Casting a linear shot? That's where it will head. Casting a cone? it will fall evenly to the left and right of that line.You'd have to keep in mind the shapes of your moves, and seeing those as they fire is great, but a persistent "center line" would allow for much easier aiming while on the move.

I think that would make the freeform targeting much easier to use on the fly, because a lot of what was happening in that video seemed slower and more deliberative than I was hoping for, with a lot of moving, stopping to line up a shot, and then firing, and then running some more, rather than moving and firing on the run.
    Sonntam likes this.
  12. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

Currently seeing one difference from GW2, if you have a targetted mob in a group and they surround you, you auto face and prioritize that mob for whatever cleave/single target attack you use, if you do not hit tab or click a single target, it comes down to strictly your aiming and hitboxes. Should feel the same for melee, ranged will be a little harder to adapt unless you're AOEing alot.

The important thing is it's visceral and feels fun!
  13. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

this is my thought as well. aside from being able to see it without casting, you should be able to do everything else in that video without clicking.

so you learn a spell, you go stand near an easy mob, you hover your mouse over the icon to get an idea of the telegraph, cast it, repeat 2-3 times and you will probably never need to hover over it again.

alternately, most games allow you to escape out of a cast? maybe you can press the button, aim, and somehow escape out of the cast?
    αRomeo and Sonntam like this.
  14. Neleh

Neleh New Cupcake

Female mechari healer spec, named Mecha-Nurse. Would be somewhat awesome. I'd also be down for a class called mecha nurse too =D
  15. rothalack

rothalack New Cupcake

Ianpact likes this.
  16. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

17. Haoli

Haoli Cupcake-About-Town

We shall have our vengeance, brethren!

We shall rule the world....with plushies!
  18. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

There is something about the Warcraft team and sheeps, can't put my finger on it, but I just get this strange feeling.
  19. Vaq

Vaq New Cupcake

I think it will work like stated above, that won't bring an advantage for mouse clickers... You can either hold your keybinding down or hold your click with the mouse to see the telegraph and then release to fire the spell. And if you hold down a keybind to a spell and then you realize you dont want to use that ability right now, you just simply right click with your mouse (I assume) or hold another key that will cancel the the spell you was previously holding without it being fired. This will make it so "hovering" with the mouse over a spell to see the telegraph wont be an advantage as you can do that by holding down a key aswell.
    I'm not sure this is how it will end up to work but as the most MOBAs work like this I'm pretty sure this is right.
  20. NewGuy

NewGuy Cupcake

did we get some shots of the exiles last class in there?

also rely digging the variety of telegraphs, and their seems to be a rely huge variety of costumes in this video, both pluses.