Wildstar for MAC OS X

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Everett Roeth, Nov 1, 2012.

?

Wildstar for MAC OS X?

1. Yes

58.8%
  2. No

11.8%
  3. Maybe (Post Why?)

29.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everett Roeth

Everett Roeth New Cupcake

Wildstar should give Mac gamers an opportunity to play their game. If you look at the succesful MMORPGS out such as World of Warcraft, WoW is dual platform and overpowers every other MMO out there. TERA, Guild Wars 2, and SWOTR came out trying to take the title of #1 MMORPG, didnt happen. All those games did not support MAC os x. Making Wildstar for Mac will let the new generation of Mac gamers and all gamers an opportunity to play. This will increase the playerbase and then increase the enjoyment of the game.

MOD EDIT: Moved to General as this is not a site suggestion. WildStar Central is a fansite, so we can't really do anything about this particular suggestion... but in here, there's a chance someone at Carbine might see it. ;) -- starspun
  2. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I don't feel that MacOS support or not is a make or break feature for any game. Yes, it's nice but when statistics show less than 4% of gamers are likely to be on a Mac, it's really a low priority for a new game developer.

A nice feature, no doubt, but nothing that will contribute in any major way to a game's success.
  3. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

As long as Carbine is confident that they can comfortably support Mac then they should go for it.
  4. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

I don't think the lack of a Mac client is the reason none of the games you listed didn't take over WoW's spot on the MMO throne. TERA was never going to make it in the first place, TOR was severely lacking in the endgame department, GW2 actually has a Mac client but I don't think they're really targeting the same audience as WoW.

That said, I'm not at all opposed to a Mac (or even Linux) client, as long as it's not at the cost of the PC client. Sadly, right now I don't think it's in Carbine's plans.
  5. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I agree with Zap and Starspun on this one. The numbers of players playing games on MacOS is relativity low and don't make a game successfull or not. It's totally not related. That said, I voted Maybe. Developing for another platform takes time and resources. I rather see them spend time and resources on one client only.

Personally I don't care about MacOS and I hope it dies. I hate Apple, because how their policies are. Their products are mediocre and their pricing is absurd. They lock you into their ecosystem. I don't like that. I like to have a choice. People don't agree with me, that's fine of course, and it's not my money they are spending.

If Carbine would want to spend resources and time to develop for another platform I wish they will pick Linux. I would have gone over to the Linux camp completely already if not for the games I play. They 'force' me to use Windows still. The new Windows 8 wants me to switch over to Linux even more and I dread the day that games force me to use 8. *shudder*

At least Valve agrees with me and I'm really happy to see they are developing a Linux Steam client with a promise that they port their games to this platform. Left4Dead 2 already is ported and runs even quicker then the Windows Client. Together with Nvidia, Valve tweaked the game code and graphics drivers. They confirm gaming on Linux is a viable alternative to Windows and/or MacOS.

I'm really hoping developers will follow Valve. I hope they port and develop new games for the Linux platform and I would switch within one second. I know I can dual boot between Linux and Windows and have done that for a while, but it isn't really working for me. It takes too much time to switch back and forth between OS's. Instead I'm choosing to play more and more on my Android tablet, which is Linux in it's core as well. :D
  6. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

What I have heard so far does make Linux or Mac sound more and more attractive as an alternative to Windows 8. The way I percieve some of their policies, "the little (wo)man" will have to pay dearly to try make innovative applications for the windows platform. Only those with money can make more money, meaning those who are already in the market right now and good buddies with the Microsoft software acceptance program. Newcomers will have a harder time breaking into the software market.

Maybe I am getting their policies wrong, but that is how I read it.

My hubby is going to switch to Mac soon too, due to the support of visual impairment, which apparently is very good in Mac. While he has been using Zoomtext on his PC with satisfaction so far, at some point in the future, he will sadly need voice instead of bigger text. He needs top sound and recording performance for his music also.

Isn't porting to different platforms a matter of game engine? Color me clueless, but I did read that the eternity project choose unity and for that reason could up the goal of making it for Linux too, so I assumed game engine has a lot if not all to say for making a multiplatform game.

All in all, I agree, we need more games for Linux, sooner better than later.
  7. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I do not think MacOS makes or breaks a game, but I said yes because I think the more people in the game the better. Now, I don't think spending the time on MacOS or Linux at the expense of the initial release is a smart decision, but I do think they should take a look after release. Personally, I use AIX/Linux at work on our products and I think Linux would be the next in line for support. Windows is just too bloated, or at least seems to perform that way.
  8. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Yes it is. But the engine of Wildstar is custom, developed in-house by Carbine. What I know, the game will be Windows only. So they would have to adjust and build the engine for OSX or Linux as well. I don't know if they even considered making the game multi-platform. If so, they would have said it already I think, because that decision is most efficient to make during the development of the game-engine.
  9. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Alternatively, they could take the route that Paragon Studios (former sister company of Carbine) did and use wrapper technologies (in their case, TransGaming's Cider product - http://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/City_of_Heroes_on_Mac and http://transgaming.com/cider for information)

This would allow alternative platforms without excessive additional development time (though likely at an increased cost).

As I said, it's not a must-have, but it would be nice.

With regards to Linux support... I suspect that they have an even smaller percentage of the gaming market than MacOS does. I'd file that under the same category, but with even less priority than MacOS. But then, the Linux community takes care of it's own via apps like http://www.winehq.org/
  10. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Yeah, you can use a solution like this or indeed use Wine. But it's always better to have a native client. I expect to see a boost in Linux gaming, once more and more games will be able to be played through the Steam Linux client. Really hoping this takes off.
    ObliviousPrime likes this.
  11. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

Guild Wars 2 has a Beta Mac client.

voted Maybe - They can make a Mac client later and I don't know a lot of gamers that game seriously on the mac. In fact I know 2 mac people who are gamers one has a windows running gaming laptop just for PC games and the other has a windows partion on their mac desktop.
  12. Spiritunicorn

Spiritunicorn New Cupcake

With the Mac percentage growing it would make sense to future proof the game if it came out on the Mac as well. Personally I would like to play it on my retina MacBook pro without having to boot into Windows.
  13. WildZhen

WildZhen Cupcake-About-Town

Well it may be true that a lot of players are on Windows base system and I personally think carbine will only focus on this one.

Now would I like to see it on mac you bet I do. It's just that the reality is Devs don't go that way.
    Only ones that I know of are the guys from Valve (I highly praised them for doing so) when you see how windows dropped us an eight version that is simply Bull<REDACTED> it just pisses me off. But, I don't think Carbine will make WS native game for Mac OS, which is sad (>>owner of a macbook pro here sigh) however they could probably wrap it as Zap said before. It is a way though I do not always like the wrap (the job sometimes is just jaw breakin) then some will argue well you can always bootcamp (please don't just don't) or worse: "you can use parallels desktop" (Oh boy just go to bed already). Well we are in january if you do not have a PC under windows start building your stuff, though they might drop the new CPU's in mid Q1 and later on this year GPU's be careful with that if you do a custom build especially with the Mobo. All in all you have time to be sure you get your stuff. (Personally my new config will be ready by febuary so I'm playing it safe).
  14. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

Blizzard is another developer that makes mac native games
    WildZhen likes this.
  15. WildZhen

WildZhen Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah shame on me for forgetting them well they piss me off a lil bit but I have to admit they have been doing it for...EVER... Windows pisses me more so it's all good lol.
  16. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I do hope they make a Mac version, but I don't know if it would work at all. From the little amount of research I've done on Carbine, they use a lot of DirectX which is incompatible with OSX. OSX relies on OpenGL graphics. So it would be a TON of extra work. But I hope the game is popular enough to warrant getting a OSX version.
  17. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

18. jonbones

jonbones Cupcake

If Wildstar uses DirectX, it's pretty much game over for Mac OS. Which is a damn shame, really. Once you start coding on a Mac it's impossible to go back to Windows. I'd hate to have to run bootcamp.
  19. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Chin up! OpenGL port in the works.

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=32245&storypage=3
  20. jonbones

jonbones Cupcake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.