1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Wildstar: Great! But in the meantime...

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Swedicus, May 29, 2013.

1. Azhdaha

Azhdaha Cupcake-About-Town

I too love their skill system, and I do hope that eventually with CCP puts WoD out (2015?), it'll use a similar system.

The beauty of EVE in my mind has always been that even a new player, with very little training, could jump into a Rifter, and still feel like they were making a difference. Also, I don't think the gap between a new player and one with years of training, or even between a veteran player and one returning after a long absence, is nearly as large. Tippis had an interesting blog post just the other day regarding this breakdown:

http://blog.beyondreality.se/EVE-Skills-3-Catching-up

I think in this upcoming expansion too, the devs had stated that they wanted to let multiple characters on your account train at the same time, which is kind of a neat change.
  2. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

Rift is ok but so similar to wow as far as how it "feels". Not necessarily how the class mechanics work because the trees are much more flexible in Rift. If you do play rift do a cleric they are very fun and can do big dps or big heals (druid-like HoT's better IMO).

As for GW2. Blah.. didn't like it. Not sure why.. just felt.. like I was not being given any real challenge. Honestly that is my #1 complaint for all MMO's these days. They are so damned easy. Give me some challenge I want to die like 20 times before level 8. Most MMO's my first death comes at level 20 when I walked to the fridge to get a beer and some wandering mob sat on me as I was drinking a beer and reading my mail! Honestly that is how my first Death generally happens.
    Caliban and Zinn like this.
  3. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

This sounds so familiar. The same thing seems to happen to me every MMO. My 1st death is between lvl 15 and 25 and it is generally because I was playing with both eyes closed for to long. Like you, I would love to play a MMO again where I would die 20 times before level 8. An MMO where I would have to actually read my skills at low levels and maybe even develop some form of a rotation. A MMO that would force me to become a better player. Hopefully Wildstar with its promises of challenge and difficulty will be closer to these ideals than what we see now from modern MMOs.
  4. The Duck

The Duck New Cupcake

I would actually recommend trying WoW if you've never played it. Do it with purpose though, you only have about 6 months before Wildstar releases(crossing fingers).

Decide whether you are a PVE or PVP oriented person and pursue one or the other in WoW. In 6 months you ought to be able to level, learn, and work your way into an heroic level raiding guild or a good rated battle ground team, probably not both though.

The raids in WoW aren't like the old school 40 mans we're looking forward to in Wildstar but at heroic level they should be a good learning experience. I don't think there's anything comparable to Wildstar's warplots in WoW but I'm not really a big pvper in the game.

The best raid teams in the world play WoW right now and Wildstar has their interest. I'm hoping it manages to snag more than a few of them. Wildstar will have to deliver on it's raid difficulty promise to keep them here though, the whole process should be interesting.

Good luck in finding a good way to bide your time, whatever game you choose have fun!
  5. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

If you've not played Tera I love the game. The combat is very fun and the PvP "can" be fun. Unfortunately once you get past level 28 I find it a bit boring.
  6. Dayor Knight

Dayor Knight New Cupcake

I have been attempting to take in a great number of MMORPG style games lately as I took about a 3 year break from the genre entirely so I will give you some opinions.

Guild Wars 2 actually got me back into it. It's a fun game for what it is, but it's designed around casual play. Once you get to 80, they want you to play for an hour or two a day, maybe five days a week and that's it. All of their content updates create events that last about that long... but it's not an all night game for me. After a while I just got bored of the game as it has very little depth. Most encounters turn into repeating the same attack over and over again while avoiding red circles. The world bosses are really neat the first few times and the game is worth the price of admission.

Tera is REALLY awesome. The combat in it is wonderfully fun, the graphics are impressive and the overall feel shows a great amount of creativity. The game never takes itself too seriously, though there is a large amount of fan-service for guys in terms of the female designs and costumes.There is a crafting system but I wouldn't call it wonderful. I recommend playing one of the more difficult classes rather than the easy ones as they have far more depth of mechanics, even if that depth can get you drown from time to time.

Dragon Nest is a game I never see mentioned but I find it to be on par with Tera in a lot of ways. The world is fairly instanced and it can have a single player feel to it, however it delivers in terms of the combat and engagement. You have a combo system similar to a lot of spectacle fighters with a good variety of moves for each class. The downsides are that each class has limited weapon selection, the classes are gender locked and armor doesn't often change your appearance. Each class has it's own story-line it follows that inter-weave with the rest of them, so you can work on progression together with friends if you so choose. The graphics are not stand-out, but they will run on a far less powerful machine than either GW2 or Tera requires. Dungeons are designed to be played through in short bursts... about 15 minutes per run.

Neverwinter is just generic. There is not stand-out bad about this game, but there is absolutely nothing stand-out good either. You can make custom missions in it, but that has been a feature in past games as well. This is by no means a reason to entirely ignore it but if you want a fun Dungeons and Dragons experience, nothing beats the classic; Dungeons and Dragons Online. It's a bit dated, but it still holds up. If you never tried this one back in the day, please take the time now. It's more group-centric than most others and it really shines in an RP sense. Give it a try if you have some friends to play with... otherwise you might be better off with some more solo-friendly titles.

Dragon's Prophet is ALMOST great. It has all these great ideas thrown together and it didn't take the time to realize any of them fully. In brief, it's a game about taming dragons and having them act as combat companions and mounts. However, you cannot actually fight from dragon-back! The combat system is actually really well done with it's combos. You use your basic attack a number of times, then your 3 becomes a different move. Use that, and your next basic attack is now a knockdown or a life-tap. There are lots of things in the game to like, but there is so much wasted potential! This game needed a lot more dev time and I feel really bad for not enjoying it more as it could have been so awesome. Instead it feels mediocre and rushed.

Wizardry Online... just don't. When I leveled once, I lost stats. The next time I gained them I don't care how good the game might be later on... leveling up should not be one of those times when you are biting your nails wondering if the random number generator is going to kick your ass or not.

World of Tanks is fun for what it is. Drive around in a tank, blow up other tanks for a few minutes, then play another match. It's more like Battlefield than a true MMOG, but lots of people put it in this category. Well balanced and well polished with a fun game-play and a decent rate of progression means it is never a bad game to play.

Hope that gives you some ideas and feedback. :)