1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Wildstar - Just another Massive Single-Player ?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by RWRZ, Nov 14, 2013.

1. RWRZ

RWRZ New Cupcake

Hello guys,

I'm following this game since the begin. Right, I really don't have time to read everything, but...
    Isn't this game just another Massive Single-Player game like WoW?

In all videos about combat and gameplay, what I can see is just easy mobs... easy content... solo content... never a GROUP thing!
    Seems that anyone can just reach "endgame" by himself.. without know anyone.. without play with anyone... Is that right?!

I have played every MMO since Ultima Online, and after WOW almost every game is the same thing... GRIND until "endgame" then go PvP!

Is Wildstar different?

Thanks

RWRZ

Thesoundsofsophistry likes this.
  2. Tex Arcana

Tex Arcana Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, pardner ... Lots different.

While you can reach level cap just doing solo content, there are plenty of multi-player goodies along the way.

You haven't seen any videos on group content, because they really have made any (not that I recall, though we saw some of Stormtalon's Lair a while back IIRC).

They're sitting on the Raids until later. They want it to be a big reveal, I'm sure but there is just no way they're gonna let that cat outta the bag before the big final push before Launch.

3. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

there is solo content. but theres also group stuff like raids and warplots and whatnot. you probably CAN get to endgame solo for solo endgame. but you have to group for dungeons warplots raids and other pvp. of course it rewards you more for grouping while leveling due to speed of levels and whatnot and i think they were talking about having other benefits for grouping (not totally sure about that).

4. Vyril

Vyril Cupcake-About-Town

No it's not different. It's the Biggest solo MMO ever.

/sarchasm

Honestly watch more videos. Read more interviews. There is a lot information and videos out there if you take the time to investigate.

EDIT:

Also 90% of a MMO is made so you CAN solo to level cap. Doesn't mean you HAVE to.

5. Zellfel

Zellfel Cupcake-About-Town

To answer your question, yes a forever-alone can get to level cap. How easily is a different story since group is encouraged and rewarded throughout the game. You're not going to see MMOs like old FFXI that force you to group up after a certain point early in the game for the rest of your days. Do I recommend playing this way? Nope, not even slightly.

WildStar gives the opportunity to connect on social levels in so many ways. You'll have your solo content (even solo dungeons for those people who are really into the sort of thing), but you'll be missing out on 40 man raids, 40 man warplots, cross pathing, hanging out at a settler's bar or BEING one of the settlers who build said bar. In essence, your experience on WildStar is what you make of it. Forcing you to be a social butterfly is a thing of the past, fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it.

Sonntam likes this.
  6. Rentah

Rentah Cupcake-About-Town

Cant say for sure. You do point out right stuff here and it makes me glad. I dont think anyone can answer that yet. Anyhow. You mean like low lvl to midlvl "Raids" that needs to be done to be able to proceed into higher lvls? . That is not at all the fashion of mmo's today. The goal with mmo's today is to rage lvl up to max and then raid?. whats the problem here?

7. RWRZ

RWRZ New Cupcake

I really doubt that...

Even with RAIDS... What is a RAID? Just a "dungeon" that needs 40 player to finish it. And what is the reward? Epic ITEMS.... WoW has it.. and day by day WoW is loosing players...

I think Wildstar is just WoW mixed with Tera.... =)
    Of course, Wildstar has some cool features! But, until now, everything is just SOLO.

Anything really catch up the player for long.
    When I was playing Tera, I realize: "When I reach the level cap, I will be on WoW again..."

No thanks! =)

RWRZ

8. Deadmeat

Deadmeat New Cupcake

Look into the shared xp and open tagging system. It has it's advantages and potential for abuse, but it's aimed at encouraging group play formally and informally. There is also a mentor system for grouping up with lower level characters.

Sonntam likes this.
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Tell me a game where you HAVE TO join up in order to reach max level/endgame.

Even in the old MMO's I can't remember them having that.

You will always have it, for the sole reason of ''what happens once most people are max level and you can't seem to find groups anymore?''

Are you sure you don't just dislike MMO's in general? Also why keep comparing to WoW?

Flawz likes this.
  10. WakeskaterX

WakeskaterX Cupcake-About-Town

They give you options. What is nice is they are heavily incentivizing group play. Cross Path, group kill bonuses, etc etc. That's fun stuff. I know I'll probably group up with friends and I'm TOTALLY looking forward to PvP servers for both Group Leveling and Group vs Group PvP.

Sonntam likes this.
  11. RWRZ

RWRZ New Cupcake

The problem? Well.. If everyone just want to reach lvl cap faster as they can, why just not remove the level?! For what? Just to reach? For achievement?! I really can't understand this...

This warplot thing is really different and cool... Player driven battlefieds! Cool!
    There is more things like this?

Rentah likes this.
  12. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

K. Bye.

Before you go though, why ask a question that you clearly already know the answer to? I mean its not like you took anything said to heart at all. I mean even if forced grouping is "social" (its not btw, if it were than lfg/lfr would be the most social things EVER) then social gameplay is dead thanks to iterative gameplay. Much like simulated worlds versus games.

Blue Tunic Man likes this.
  13. RWRZ

RWRZ New Cupcake

Sounds good! =)

14. RWRZ

RWRZ New Cupcake

Ya, I'm sure I don't just dislike... =)

I don't want to NEED the group, but it should be very hard to do all the content without a group.
    In fact, I'm trying to understand IF Wildstar isn't just another Single-Player MMO!

15. Livnthedream

This is why we have levels:
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2005/12/16/do-levels-suck/
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2005/12/22/do-levels-suck-part-ii/

If you do some poking around there you will see why forced grouping isn't really social either. In fact, outside of the specific questions about the game (which you really haven't asked yet since the answers given you have summarily dismissed) you can likely find the answers to on that site.

Torbjörn likes this.
  16. Livnthedream

As a developer why would you automatically limit your playerbase when the majority of people enjoy soloing?

17. Zellfel

Zellfel Cupcake-About-Town

FFXI at launch. It wasn't possible to level solo beyond the Valkurm Dunes. But you're right, in even most of the old MMOs it tended to be inefficient to level to end-game solo, not impossible. From my personal experiences:

PSO: Solo'd all the way to level cap in episode 1 and episode 2.

DAoC: Solo'd to 50 back in classic as an Eldritch, was kind of a pain though and took far longer than it needed to.

FFXI: Couldn't solo once I reached Valkurm Dunes and spent most of my time looking for groups to grind mob camps.

Ragnarok Online: Solo leveled to 99 and 99 transcendent on official servers. Again, it would have been far more efficient to do it with groups but no one ever wanted an assassin.

WoW: I got married during my time on this game and tend to play with my wife, so I haven't solo levelled my main character to level cap ever. I tend to do so on alts because she hates levelling.

TERA: Played a warrior and solo levelled to the 40s before I gave up out of boredom. Soloing BAMs was exciting... at first.

Yep, solo levelling existed for a very very long time and isn't exclusive to WoW.

You do realize that everything you're describing didn't even start with WoW? Designing level cap content has been around forever, and I heard stories of doing the gear treadmill on Everquest, only the raid bosses weren't instanced?

18. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Not only that Livn...

But see how he doesn't want to NEED a group...yet he wants it hard but still soloble...

So he wants a hard Single-Player MMO....and yet he doesn't want another Single-Player MMO.

An MMO where you don't NEED a group will then always be a Single-Player MMO, you just want a HARD Single-Player MMO.

Exactly why I said:
    I just feel like he has some WoW issues (and MMO issues for that matter).

Blue Tunic Man and Livnthedream like this.
  19. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

I definitely have concerns about this, but I've had concerns about this for every MMO since wow.

It's likely this game will not bend to the groupers as much as many of us would like, but it's really a wait and see thing imo.

My 2 cents: I would hope that group content provides a significant advantage in the form of content that is soloable, but is very difficult to solo. Too many games these days are not only catered to soloers, but catered to people who expect immediate demands, and unencumbered progress. It's straight up too easy to level by yourself. It should always be possible, but should be the path of greater resistance with preference put on extremely resistant points along the leveling curve. imo if a small percentage of your playerbase doesn't quit in frustration, you are doing it wrong .. because the alternative is a 2 month lifespan where a large portion of the game's population is bored to death, even with new content added because the value, or achievement gained overall is too low.

20. Livnthedream

You do not even need to do it through "difficulty". In fact that is not in there best interest. Bonuses to xp, and the additional bonuses through paths, as in everyone being able to participate and get the additional rewards for path content and the additional things like challenges has a great amount of potential to drive players together. Why level on your own when its faster and more fun to be grouped with 3 others, one of each path so you can aoe/zerg through content? A tank to round em up, and healer (or hybrid) to keep them topped off and 2 dps to mow it all down. Previous games did not have path content as that kind of motivator. I just hope that they take enough advantage of it.