WildStar Latency Questions

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Cosmic Owl, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl New Cupcake

Update: My reply rant from another thread got moved to being an OP, so it makes less sense in this context. If you have any useful information about server location, your latency results and where from please post this(try to provide your usual latency of similar distance as reference comparison if possible). Please do not violate the NDA, I am not sure about the current NDA or if that is currently preventing any of this information. I will leave the rest of my post in its original state.

P.S The internet is a series of tubes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Necroing this thread because I'm trying to find information on latency in this game, but instead I keep finding threads full of people who know nothing about networking saying all kinds of stupid.

Absolute rubbish like "I have a very fast fiber optic so my latency is good"
    [​IMG]

Latency is only related to bandwidth if said bandwidth is exceeded(packet priority is also loosely connected to bandwidth). If bandwidth is not exceeded then it has very little to do with it.

Latency has more to do with optimized network routing nodes, hop counts, priority packets, interleaving, noise burst, error recovery, overhead, even choice of modem chip / computer settings etc. I could go on. Essentially with enough optimization and the right ISP that cares about its international pathing, you can reach near the "PHYSICAL DISTANCE LIMITATION" regardless of what type of internet service you use.

When you reach this point, you can very easily with ADSL and the right ISP. It all comes down to distance. Unless some of you have your very own personal line of site vacuum suspended air tube fiber optic, in that case I entirely apologize.

So stop talking about "My internet is fast herpderp I can download a movie in 2 minutes" and talk more about physical locations and pathing so people who want useful information can find what they are looking for.

Cosmic Owl
    Extatica likes this.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Wait.....you don't have that? :eek:
  3. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

<Mod Face> I've moved your post to a new thread of its own, you might want to change a few bits of your OP to make more sense :) </Mod Face>
  4. ignitar

ignitar New Cupcake

No one can say anything about the latency in Wildstar since it would break the NDA.

Now, GW2 was central, not sure about other NCsoft games, so i wouldn't get my hopes up for oceanic/multiple US locations.
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Mayby some streamers have said it? So it's oke to talk about it.

+ Carbine has already disclosed some information about it.....
  6. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

I arnt telling you nuttin! Thems be trade secrets, and yes I haz a vacuum!
  7. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

I thought you were scared of the vacuum...
    Livnthedream likes this.
  8. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I'm curious about something related to latency and the weekend beta passes and stress tests that have been going around this month.

If a person had access to the stress test weekends, would this be a good representation of possible latency at launch for that individual?

I recall beta of The Secret World, I experienced frequent latency and disconnects. Thought it might be something with it being beta, but it persisted through launch and now over a year later it's still there. Though their tech support referred it to being a problem with my ISP. In other words, the trouble I had in it's beta pretty much persisted well after launch.
  9. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

The thing with betas and lag is that lag is that it fluctuates. If you look at the streams, some folks got zero lags and DCs for hours. At other times you see in one hour about four DC. What is the cause? We just don't know.

Maybe it's the internet connection of the streamer or it may be the latest patch that caused some new bugs. Maybe servers having an influx on players. Maybe it's the memory leak and lack of /reloadui on the streamer's part.

For now I don't think you can make many assumptions on how things will run after launch, simply because there is no consistency in the picture we get.
  10. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Do you think an open beta would be a better prediction on possible latency at live then?
  11. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

Since open betas are usually very close to release and a marketing tool (and not a regular stress test), sure.

I think Wildstar has a long way to go till it goes open beta, though. So I guess we will have to wait some more till that time comes.
  12. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

I attack the world!
  13. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Depends on what you are talking about in terms of "lag". So many don't understand it. There is more to it than just latency and framerate.

So thats the problem! You are supposed to be attacking the darkness!
  14. Perigon

Perigon Cupcake

Yet your post OP contains no questions, just a rant.

People with fast fibre broadband do tend to have low latency and pings anyway especially compared to other forms. So you can't blame people for assuming. I've tried online gaming on satellite, mobile, dial up and fibre and you take low latency and pings for granted if you only use fibre. Some of the things you suggested, like modem type, have such a small impact on latency these days that its negligible anyway.
  15. Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl New Cupcake

updated OP to address its context somewhat.

Oh hey Perigon, I shave a few ms off via using a broadcom chip modem router that nets better results for me on my Agile exchange. I have Trendchip modem that syncs slightly higher due to my distance to the exchange with its snr profile but it is a few ms higher even when bridged to an extremely good router. My points being differences do exist and a few ms is important to some, especially if its already 150ms as your lowest theoretical on distance alone.
  16. Ark

Ark Cupcake-About-Town

Well, ill try and answer this as best i can. To be honest it looks like someone flexing their nerd cred, but maybe thats just me. Anyways, i think you will find the information you are after is far too specific. From what i can read, you are bassically asking "what will MY latency be?". People are afraid of breaching NDA, and others maybe have not played, so its a lot to ask.
    But additionally, as you continue to point out, the variables that make up what us plebs often refer to as latency / ping / lag, are so great, and often quite unique to each player, that i think its a "hope for stress test invite" situation.
  17. Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl New Cupcake

Thanks for reply Ark, yeah you are right, I totally am after specific information as apposed to vagueness. Yeah I get will have to probably wait till more NDA lifts. I'm sure many people are reluctant to get on yet another mmo hype wagon knowing that latency in a telegraph /action combat mmo is going to be so hit and miss for offshore players. As this game is meant to feel a lot like wow, is reassuring actually.

well it was just an angry rant reply after digging and finding nothing useful, it wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I tried to explain some of the things that determine latency excluding the client itself. Then it got moved to being an OP so now i'm asking instead :p But the rant is still there because it makes me laugh a bit when I read it :p

Ill post a fake theoretical reply of what useful information would be. (NDA granted, which will likely be a huge problem here)

"I live in Sydney Australia, I'm on an ADSL connection with interleaving disabled via the ISP Internode. when beta testing my client was connected to an IP of 54.253.113.47 I can see that this is a lease server in Manassas united states Virginia. Using a ping service and tracert I get ~180ms to a server near that location. However my TCP connection states it is sitting at about 240ms and the in game client sits at about 260ms. Other games I play around the same area are usually about 200ms. This perhaps indicates that it could be optimized beta client or server load. I felt the game has a decent spell que(/netcode), I couldn't feel the latency between actions as far as pve went but the lack of GCD with instants and breaking stun in PVP was pretty bad(this game is action combat style yes? Remember how with Tera between every action required server side check? was terrible and FFXIV unforgiving with moving out of telegraphs). This is my Tracert log. This is my results from a proxycap test near the server. This is my line distance test results.

Ill say again, obviously NDA is a big reason why nothing like this is being talked about. I don't even know what information the NDA is preventing, but if you have information and know it is ok to talk about it. Then any of the stuff listed in my example reply above would help.
  18. Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl New Cupcake

ill study the NDA. Ill test what I can and provide the results.

Another thing that will need to be in consideration is even though they have explained their current server setup and it seems to be in house. It may not be that right now, or may change from now to release. So Beta testing may not even apply to future application.
  19. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

First, you aren't allowed to say you are in the beta unless you are told you can.

Second, if you have played pretty much any of NcSofts other NA releases ie Gw2, then you should know base latency since its all run out of their Texas data center.
  20. Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl New Cupcake

I have all the information I need now including some interesting discrepancies. Just working out what I can and can't post regarding it. (not that I'm sure it matters, I post while out on my lte while at home I'm not bored enough to ever touch forums. I joke though, ill wait it out).

Also lets hope that they don't just keep it in Texas but are able to go a bit more "west" Such as LA. Ill post findings when I've worked out what I can reply with and if I don't totally forget. I do hope the results are related to Beta servers though. Thanks for anyone who replied, have a good one.