1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Wildstar sense of humor

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by VooDoo, Jan 9, 2012.

1. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

Looking back in my gaming history (which dates back to Zork on an apple II), Ive come to the conclusion that my most memorable game experiences happened in games that have a sense of humor or sarcasm.

One of my favorite games was Planescape: Torment. I know the game itself was very dark and at times chilling, but overall its considered a black comedy of video games. There was a sense of humor in that game that was completely genius. This is followed closely by Fallout 2 which had a very sarcastic approach to a post apocalyptic world.

Lately I've been playing a lot games that just take themselves too seriously for the most part. I miss games like dungeon keeper and legend of kyrandia that were just pure humor. I get the vibe from Wildstar that its trying to bring in to the MMO genre something a bit more playful than serious, and personally I think this is the absolute perfect time for it.

I loved reading the interviews from the characters perspective that were posted just recently. Its really giving me hope that a game developer still has that comedic writing ability that so many others feel does not belong in certain video games. Anyway, just something I was thinking about over the weekend as my sith inquisitor reached dark tier IV. Heres looking at you Carbine, pull me out of this hole :)
    Dragor and Zap-Robo like this.
  2. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Yes, humor makes things memorable which is why I liked Monkey Island, Space Quest series, Zork text adventure, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy text adventure, and a multitude of others. Humor is a big part of what pulled me into this game in the beginning.
  3. Feliun

Feliun Cupcake

I agree. I love humour in games. I loved the old Discworld point and click games if you remember them. I like to have a laugh while playing, it just makes it all the more enjoyable. More recently I have loved the twisted humour from Glados in Portal and Portal 2.
  4. Elegant

Elegant New Cupcake

Your making me feel like I've never played any games! Silly enough, there hasn't been much comedic experiences within my games I've played.. Besides the simple things here and there that will make you go into a fit of laughter..

Wildstar on the other hand, I laughed to myself during the trailer.. I also laughed quite a bit during the creating Soundscape http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/632/feature/5909/WildStar-Creating-a-Soundscape.html

I'm starting to think I'm easily amused.
  5. Mister B

Mister B New Cupcake

Rincewind was voiced by Eric Idle in those games. What's not to love? :)
  6. Dragor

Dragor Cupcake

I think there are so few games with some kind of comedy on sale today, because its a nother factor of hit or miss added to a franchise. Think of this, there is this great game and everyone plays it, and the game machanics are fantastic but you just can't stand the humor. So most publishers think, better leave comedy out of the game.
  7. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

I myself, do enjoy a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor, or the occasional breaking of the "4th Wall".
  8. Crybone

Crybone Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not sure about how i stand to humor in games. I'm in no way against it, but i find it hard to take in.. It's like i'm too concentrated so that the humor isn't really that intense in my mind. It's a bit weird when i think about the subject, and can't really recall any "haha" moments in a game.

On the other hand, playing with people, what they say, what we experience. Bugs, quests, etc. Shared fun can be great "haha" :)

- Last phrase was bad English :p
  9. Oubliette

Oubliette Founding Member

OP: It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

My favourite from CoH... U'Kon Gr'ai

I think subtlety is the key, especially when it comes to a live environment.
    Zap-Robo likes this.