1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WildStar Wednesday - Arenas

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Fate Flyer, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

[​IMG][​IMG]
    This week, Carbine explains PvP Arenas in the Elder Game! Share your thoughts here. Are you planning on focusing more on PvE or PvP in the Elder Game?​

( Read more )​
  2. Qimx

Qimx Cupcake-About-Town

Arenas is the most boring PvP mode ever.
    See you next wednesday.
    Lsya and Joukehainen like this.
  3. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I'll probably spend most of my PvP time in Warplots, but I wouldn't mind trying Arenas from time to time especially if we can setup custom matches in the future.
  4. Nightsong

Nightsong Cupcake-About-Town

For you yes, but for some MMO players, arenas are a lot of fun.
    JarNod and Honoracy like this.
  5. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

"One of the biggest differences you’ll see in WildStar Arena gameplay is that our Arena match is not a single elimination match. Each team shares a set amount of respawns (based on the match size). To win an Arena match, your team must get the opposing team to use all of their respawns and then defeat any remaining living opponents."
    I thought that was interesting. To the arena players out there: How do you think this will affect your role build for an arena team? Do you think it will diversify or limit choices of players or have no effect?
    ruff_ethereal and Malisent like this.
  6. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

The obligatory WW Qimx complaint. Lol

Arenas are good for friendlies imo. Nothing spectacular, but not a zerg fest.
    Qimx likes this.
  7. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

Interesting, looks like the matches will have about a 30mins timer.
  8. Grohmm

Grohmm Cupcake

I hope Arenas will not suffer from the OP team compositions!

It's clearly a great news to learn that Arenas are going to allow a limited set of respawn. It may create a real challenge to kill an opponent and keep pressure on his teammates. It's probably a good point to see how the respawn will be handled.

Also, arena brackets are the same as WoW but it's quite a good news. I would have liked if the 1v1 was available for fun with a leaderboard :)

And I'm praying to see the spectator mode for launch or in the coming months!!
  9. Tramazing

Tramazing New Cupcake

Arenas yes!​
    Afrotech and Honoracy like this.
  10. Nekofest

Nekofest Cupcake-About-Town

I don't see how giving people respawns addresses the issue of stagnation resulting from the inherent design of arenas revolving around fotm team comps.
  11. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

In the second screenshot I was looking at the chat box and one of the people talking is a bunch of crazy symbols. Anyone know if it was ever confirmed if we would not be able to understand the opposing factions?
    moneda likes this.
  12. Taters

Taters Cupcake

I think adding respawns removes some of the benefit of CD stacking. The best plan will probably still be to identify the opponent with the least survivability and train them into the ground. I wonder if defensive and/or offensive CDs will reset when you die?
    Afrotech likes this.
  13. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I really like this. Now strategic thinking is involved even more. Instead of Blitzing a team right off the bat you might have to see if their is another way. Also, some teams are more reactive and this gives them a better shot at winning once they have played against the competition for a bit. Not a huge fan of Arenas but that seemed interesting.

In the screens, are the players upscaled to 50? If not that is a lot of HP on the stalker at 22! 10k+
    Grohmm likes this.
  14. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Getting popcorn and waiting for Azzurri! :D
    Lyas Tyrell, Kataryna and Mudfin like this.
  15. Bantheera

Bantheera Cupcake

I like rising in the ranks in arenas. A certain amount of Re-spawns per team, could add some length to a match and thereby more options in the playstyle. If the vent in the floor would do damage and the room would cause other effects on the players in the arena, to change the game up a little, it would also add to the importance of positioning. And add more FUN! :O
    Sadly the UI is a little too big in the screenshots, for my taste, I feel a little cramped by them, so I hope they are scale-able easily.
    Some kind of feature for scaling the number-size in relation to the UI, would be great too.
  16. Nightsong

Nightsong Cupcake-About-Town

I think that is what happens when a Dominion character talks to an Exile character (or vice versa). Your text gets translated into an untranslatable alien language. Carbine did somewhat confirm this by saying that you would only be able to interact with the opposing faction in a not so nice way.

Anyways, on topic. Arenas, looks interesting. Not my cup of tea for PvP but it's nice to see Carbine include it as part of the elder game for those who do enjoy this type of gameplay.
  17. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

Nice catch, and as of the PAX panel I believe they were still internally debating it. At least with this shot we can guess that currently the factions cannot converse in-game... which is a mistake IMO but nothing that won't be circumvented.

As far as arenas go... they're last on my list of things to care about, but I hope their implementation is good for those who enjoy 'em.
  18. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Arenas ?! Eeeewwww!! But if it attracts more players, whatever, I'm game.

In b4: We want 1v1 arenas!
  19. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

That is a very good question, but I am not sure if Wildstar will have your traditional CDs because you are "wasting" an ability. How much of an issue was this in GW2?
  20. Lgr

Lgr Cupcake

If you have a coordinated composition in 5v5 you will most likely burst someone right away, so it is a good idea for 5v5 and maybe 3v3, but I cant say that i like it that much in 2v2