1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WildStar Wednesday - Arenas

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Fate Flyer, Apr 3, 2013.

1. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby Cupcake-About-Town

Such a disappointment for me that is a pvp announcement!
    But i am happy that they keep updating the news for the game:)
    Hopefully next week we are going to have a PvE oriented announcement and ill be happy.Or even beta launch:)
    Maddog Charlie likes this.
  2. Goodwin

Goodwin New Cupcake

I agree. I've always been a big PvP fan, especially in vanilla WoW and TBC. World PvP was so much fun and the Battlegrounds kicked ass aswell, I loved doing them (You mention AV, which was probably one of the best PvP experiences I've ever had).

And even though I love PvP, I never really could get into Arena play. I'm glad it's added though, and I will most likely play some matches even though I won't be playing it as hardcore as regular Battlegrounds -- it appears Carbine's adding something for everyone to enjoy, which is really great. 40 man raids ready at launch? Battlegrounds, Arenas and Warplots? They seem to look like they know what they're doing, and more importantly, what the players want.

Endgame/Eldergame is definitely the most important part of an MMO, which a lot of other devs seem to forget lately. I have faith in the Carbine team and what they'll be bringing us, they look like a good bunch.

It's stuff like that that make MMOs so great; everyone has something they can enjoy... and together, you'll get a great and wonderful community where everyone gets a piece of the pie -- no matter what type of play you're into.

As for the weekly updates; they also did this while we were waiting for SWTOR. From the looks of it, it seems the WildStar community is a lot more friendly and laid back. But then again, I suppose that's what you get when you have a smaller community. Quality over quantity, right? :)
    Afrotech likes this.
  3. Duckdee

Duckdee Cupcake-About-Town

Nice screenshots. Ship interior and different skin colours. :)

I had fun participating in an arena tournament in CoH. If tab-targeting and following is allowed, I'd be open to trying it again.
    Maddog Charlie likes this.
  4. Rogosh

Rogosh Cupcake-About-Town

I just dont see tab targetting as that important in a free form targeting game, they are either in range or they are not.

Take charge for instance, assuming a warrior has some version of this, it will have a tell that lets the other team know where its going and if they are in that area then the enemy gets dazed/stunned. Same goes with other damage abilities, locking onto a target does not mean you will hit them.
  5. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I want call targets in the game.

and for larger scale pvp ( maybe just warplots) the ability to make sub teams in the group and have marked people in your team for leaders.
  6. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Definately all for choices so we can tune the game to suit our individual playstyles for sure bud :) makes sense they are building a game with a customizable UI, that we should be able to tab target. Especially for these little buggers, NexusRushHourSml.jpg :D
  7. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

I agree. I've never liked arena PvP.

Warplots...now those sounds fun! Build our fortresses and actually wage war.
  8. B00TE

B00TE Cupcake-About-Town

Prefer battlegrounds and other larger areas for my PvP needs, but Arenas were a fun diversion in WoW for me too. Also because having a silly team name was awesome. My old one was "Tea Time with FDR".
  9. Boomstam

Boomstam New Cupcake

Im extremely exited for Arena's! It has been my favorite feature in WoW since it was launched and its basically the only reason i still play WoW. Its something that makes me want to become the best of the best.
    The impact a single player can have in arena just feels alot bigger then lets say a 15v15 battleground, but thats just my opinion.

Some things i rly liked so far:
    - Wildstar's combat system in pvp (adds alot of depth with skillshots, positioning and situational awareness etc)
    - Spectator modes, support for streaming tools and possible E-sport opportunities ( just Awesome!)
    - Gear scaling in rated pvp (rated pvp should be in a fair environment and based on skill not gear)
    - "Our beta players will be experiencing our first Arena map once beta opens" ( This is something i really liked, it proves they are rly trying to balance the game as good as possible)

One thing in particular that i didnt rly like:
    - "Players can belong to one team for each match size."
    Most of the times i play with my real life friends, but i also like to be able to try out different setups without messing up the teamrating or just play something for fun when my friends arent online. Atleast i hope you will be able to create cross-server arena teams/warplots etc, so your not forced to migrate if you want to play with ppl on different servers.

One thing im not so sure about yet:
    - "Each team shares a set amount of respawns"
    It seems like a fun idea, like some other ppl have mentioned, you cant just use all your cooldowns at the start to burst someone down, because it might backfire later when the guy respawns and you just used everything. Although im not too sure how this works out in 2v2 when your fighting healer/dps vs healer/dps. I think it all comes down to how high survivability will be.

-Boomstam
  10. Zerdav

Zerdav Cupcake-About-Town

What I would like to know if gear will be normalised like in GW2 sPVP. I think it should when it comes to Arenas, and not when it comes to Battlegrounds and Warplots. That would indeed be a bit for everyone then. Especially if they are serious about pushing it as an esport.
  11. Boomstam

Boomstam New Cupcake

Zerdav, to awnser your question I looked up some info
    This is directly taken from the Combat/PvP Reddit AMAA:

Gear progression - To my understanding, there will be gear progression in PVP according to your ELO rankings.
    *Does that mean that if a person only plays unranked they will face people with higher PVP gear (the guys who play both ranked and unranked)?

If a person plays in an unranked Battleground they will be matched with other players with similar gear values to you. Additionally, due to the Rallying system (where players are boosted in level/stats to the max level of the Battleground bracket), your gear is then normalized to the max level of the bracket. If there were players with higher PvP gear, their gear is normalized as well.
    Rallying is also present in ranked Battlegrounds (the only difference here is that the player is matched with other similiarly rated players).

How will Wildstar handle PvP itemization and gear progression, and will gear acquired through PvE and PvP be able to be used interchangeably in both PvE and PvP (if applicable)?

We will have gear progression in PvP, where:
    Warplot Rewards > Arena Rewards > Battleground Rewards
    We will have a system in place, called Rallying, which boosts the player's level (and statistics) to match the maximum level for the Battleground bracket he or she is participating in. The Rallying system also normalizes gear to that level max, so you may enjoy as fair a fight as possible.
    We will have a shared currency across all features (Warplots, Battlegrounds, Arenas) that you can use to purchase PvP rewards. Some rewards will be purchase blocked by individual or team (or Warparty) rating.

It only states that gear, lvl and stats will be normalized in low lvl Battlegrounds, max lvl Battlegrounds and during Rated Battlegrouds, it doesnt say anything about Arena or Warplots. If they are aiming at making it an E-sport then i guess the gear will be normalized at tournaments, and u will be matched against opponents with equal gear or Elo rating on live servers.
    Forge Darksteel and Zerdav like this.