1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WildStar Wednesday - Crossing the Streams

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Yakzan, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Grytswyrm

Grytswyrm Cupcake

If doesn't ignore their request, but it will take people that are in the all-server queue if they are from the same server as the person. This would not impose a noticeable difference in queue time at all except maybe in the downest of downtimes, like 5 am.
  2. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Ok I see now, thanks.
  3. Pejo

Pejo Cupcake-About-Town

The problem is you're assuming an even spread of roles across all servers - on medium to high population servers, this is very possible; however, lower population servers have a great chance of not being able to use this option without it increasing their queue times heavily. As the game has not launched yet, we shall use the info we have available. When Blizzard first introduced LFG, it was server only before they had to quickly change that due to queue times. Pre-top level dungeons were extremely rare and on several hour queues with some of them hitting an average time of 12 hours. Top level was better but fell down to the spread of roles. Since we do not (and for those of us who do know, cannot share) know the difficulty of the role of tank/healer, it is hard to know how rare they will be.

But more to the point I care about and think I've stated here already, no cross-realm questing? Seriously Carbine, pick up your <REDACTED>. You stated to spend a huge amount of time with GW2 developers, yet they didn't bring up their server architecture? Without speaking of how I feel about the game, they did their server architecture right. This led to virtually no maintenance, guesting onto other servers, overflow queue, and a large amount of other features. This would have allowed you to combat realm population problems early instead of us having dead servers 2 years down the line. Best get that server transfer functionality ready - you're going to need it.
    SiegaPlays likes this.
  4. Grytswyrm

Grytswyrm Cupcake

I still think that there will be more tanks in Wildstar, but that's just a guess. Plus if they put in a better system of giving incentive to underplayed roles, it will increase the amount played. I would like a system where if the underplayed role continues to be tank, you should get a rolling bonus for continuing to do well at tanking multiple instances in a row.
  5. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

ROFLMFAO

This is juicy stuff. What a reaction. XD Oh, how I love your rage. It fuels me.

[​IMG]
  6. dizko

dizko Cupcake-About-Town

The problem with this whole post is it represents a single experience: Yours. People's experience with these kind of things vary greatly from person to person and have an array of factors that play into how that experience plays out. Just because this is how it was for you doesn't mean that everyone should then be forced into that same mould. Did it ever occur to you that your experience may in fact be a minority experience?

This operates under the presumption that the only way to socialize in an MMO is through dungeons, which obviously isn't the case. Let us stop operating under these nonsense absolutes just because you don't like LFG tools. You can still socialize with people in LFG situations, believe it or not. You can certainly socialize outside LFG in a plethora of ways.
  7. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Can I put crossrealm friends on my friend list, so I can follow if they are on or not? Can I right click them on the friends list to invite for grouping/chat, or do I have to type out their name and message and hope they are online?

Personally I would have prefered some accounthandle tag for friends, like battletag, but this is better than not being able to chat crossrealm at all. Also, it makes it easy to connect to strangers from LFD after completing a satisfactory run.

Will circles be crossrealm?

I am fine with not having crossrealm zones (does not make a difference to me), but less excited about not having some type of connected realm / mega server / overflow tweaking feature to avoid server mergers and unbalanced realms later on.

I would really have loved to be able to group with crossrealm friends in the open world.

As some others have mentioned, the Carbine stand on realm xfers would be a nice to know information in regards to easing some concerns about recruiting or discovering that friends are playing somewhere else.
    Sonntam likes this.
  8. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby Cupcake-About-Town

I am really happy for an other Wildstar Wednesday.Its a small one,maybe fast-written but does the job.A job that they are not forced to do by all means and they do it just to thank their fans:)

On Topic:

I am sure that Cross-Realm Instanced content with friends is welcome as long as they will not implement it on zones like Blizzard did.Dungeons,Warplots and PvP is nice but no zones please no.
    When i am questing i want to see people from my realm.Not everyone running around.You can turn out Cross-LFD but i think if they implement Cross-Zones you cant not.

Keep in Mind that Blizzard did this for one and only reason:To Camouflage Server merges.They didnt want to do Server merges and they find an other way to show that zones are not dead!
    Apart from the whole ''community destroyer'' that people can think of Cross-realm zoning and i approve the worst is that people do this if f.e want to farm rares(Honor boosts at WoW) and also to skip mechanics like doing dailies on PvE realms.

As for Dungeon finder i will play only with people from my realm(Thanks Carbine for giving me that option) and mainly with my guild mates.This is why in first place i joined the awesome guild i am in!
    Dungeon finder will soon be out cause i have a feeling that Blizzard will remove it next expansion.Are the dungeons going to be harder?Possibly no.But LFD its going out soonTM.

To be honest i don't have a problem with LFD.I only have a problem with Cross-LFD.If the tool just finds peoples for you so you don't spam channels and you have to walk to the dungeon i am all fine.But that's an other topic:)

At last Carbine made yet an other week an awesome W* Wednesday.
    @People saying its a really bad one.They are not forced to do it every week or sometimes even Mondays and Fridays.They do it cause they respect you.Small W* Wednesday or not its something from them.Say thanks,Smile and way for Class Reveal and CBT4.
  9. Kayelia

Kayelia Cupcake

Hmm. It's not explicitly stated, but this should help with character naming. No reason for @realm if character names were unique across the entire game instead of unique across a realm. That'll be helpful with a lot of potential alts in the system.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  10. Xlugon Pyro

Good pickup, although it has already been determined that most likely names would be unique to a single server like in WoW.
  11. Kayelia

Kayelia Cupcake

Oh, it has? I must have missed it.

Honestly, per realm/server names, like WoW, is far more common. This seems like a nice middle ground compared to the normal vs something like gw2's global setup. One of those nice little things that can matter a ton.
  12. Xlugon Pyro

No official announcement that I'm aware of but logically it follows if we consider what else Carbine has revealed to us about servers thus far.
  13. nra

nra Cupcake

If you re-read my post you see that that part was an answer to a set topic, regarding super-long queues for people using the tool with the Cross-Realm option unchecked.
    I was merely saying that this queue would not differ to much from the abstract 'queue' of a system without a Looking For Group-tool, in most cases.
  14. nra

nra Cupcake

Socialization is a choice that you and everyone else makes themselves, not Carbine.
    Eliat_kuni, dizko and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  15. Pyaray

Pyaray Carbine Studios

Let me go ahead and confirm this. Names are unique per realm.
    Kataryna, Mykor, FlamingRuby and 2 others like this.
  16. Xlugon Pyro

Caaaalled it. :p

Now for us to race to reserve our names on our chosen serves as soon as the servers go live! XD
  17. Kayelia

Kayelia Cupcake

Yay, I was right. :D

I think it's pretty good idea. I hate finding new names when my main ones are taken.
  18. NabeShogun

NabeShogun Cupcake

Can't say I'm particularly pleased about this ... what will happen with the inevitable server merges then? I'd rather have my 20th choice name and know I get to keep it forever rather than 2 years in have to pick a new one from the rubbish that will still not be taken due to a clash during a merge.
  19. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

I am not too sensitive when it comes to insults, but I have to say I find the next quote very insulting especially comming from the game designers:

I am actually very social person, and love to make social networks, find new friends and have fun with them. I do want to do this on my own server tho, due to guild / PvP / trading / crafting issues.

Calling people who want to support their own server, create a cozy social place to play Anti-Social is infuriating.
    Witless likes this.
  20. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

You are making awfull amount of generalizations while using wording that comes out as the absolute truth, not a smart move to do but who am I to judge.

I will be ticking the option to group up with people of my own server only, even if it means my queue times will be hour, hour and a half long. Why? Because I absolutelly value friendships, finding new guys to play with, recruits to guilds, crafters etc etc over jacking off on some purple pixel.

I have seen plenty of purple pixels in my life and guess what I value more? My BIS gear that I disenchanted and sold, or the friends I still play with in different games, talk in skype and meet in real life after 8 years since we played in the same guild? Hell I even found love in to my life from gaming community and we are living very happily together.

From what I have heard is that the Dungeon Finder will first try to match you with your own server players, then with cross realm. How much is own server weighted vs. queue speed, only carbine knows. Hell maybe I have even heard a false rumour, but I sure hope not.

You are mistaking that everyone minds the wait time of dungeon finder. Sure I do not like to wait ages in WoW for a queue to pop, but guess what? WoW is absolutelly horridly boring game outside instances. There is absolutelly nothing to do outside group content when you are at level cap. If Wildstar gives me interesting, engaging and challenging content to go trough while in the queue I don´t care if I have to wait for hours. Hell I might even leave the queue when it pops up, just because I am having so much fun outside it.

It doesn´t take a genious indeed but it seems to take a genious to understand some people, even when being minority like to play the game the way they do and you have no room comming and pushing your opinions down their throats as absolute truths.