1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WildStar Wednesday - Crossing the Streams

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Yakzan, Oct 9, 2013.

1. John

John "That" Cupcake

Well if your only goal in the conversation is to change the other person's mind than you will find many debates will go nowhere.
  2. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Yeah I'm aware of that and seem to forget about it when I get in the moment. Need to practice better discipline on my part. Though it makes discussion sort of pointless when everyone is dead set on their beliefs. What's there to really discuss then? This thread has veered off-topic anyway.
  3. Dargenus

Dargenus Cupcake-About-Town

It's not as if lots of casual MMO's don't already exist. If you don't have a lot of time to play, why do you play MMO's? They're an investment, always were, I play SP games when I am short on time. Why should the rest of us suffer for your lack of time? We chose gaming as our hobby and we can spend lots of time on it.

But you are admitting the issue. You are admitting that LFD makes it sound like the dungeons will be casualized. Honestly, they have to be. Otherwise, people would find little use for the tool since going to a dungeon would require a properly assembled, competent group.
    John likes this.
  4. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

You assume a lot, kid.

I am currently not subscribed to any MMOs. I play League of Legends (primarily ARAM matches), Payday 2, Borderlands 2, and sometimes I fire up Diablo 3, Marvel Heroes, or XCOM. Maybe once a week or two I load up DCUO and play for an hour because my little boy likes watching me fly around Metropolis.

I don't understand why you (and others) have this vision that Wildstar is only intended for the hardcore gamer and 150-man raider? From what I've read it will have options for the guy who wants to have his 40-man raid like the old days, but there will be options for the casual guy like me who wants to stick with a single group as being his endgame.

People are focusing way too much on "the 1%" or "hardcore" when they probably should be saying "Wildstar is the game that will finally give options".

Same thing with all the LFD nonsense in this thread. The more I think about it, why does an LFD tool have to make dungeons easier or more casual? Even if you are grouped with some random person from another server, that person will still have the relative skill level of any random person you take from your home server. Carbine will set the difficulty level of the dungeons and the playerbase will curve to that difficulty. If the majority of players are below the curve it's Carbine's choice to lower the difficulty or tell the players to get better.

If you find someone through LFD that you play well with, add them to your friends list (I think it's safe to assume that the friends list will be cross-server, since you can send chat messages cross-server). Eventually you will have your competent group of non-casual friends, home-server and cross-server, that you can group with and play the game.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  5. John

John "That" Cupcake

You're thinking of WoW, the game that tried to be the "something for everyone" of MMOs and has been steadily losing subs by the millions ever since. Decide who your target audience is and stick to it. Trying to cater to everyone gives a watered down experience that makes no one happy.
  6. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

Yeah, I didn´t really take it as if Carbine would be calling players who do not wish to attend Xrealm activity sociopaths. I am bothered by the fact that they use that particular wording at all in the first place. I personally have found that the people who do not want to play cross realm are actually the more social type, who want to talk with people, form communitys and friendships and social networks.

I am also bothered that they go out and describe one player type in such of a negative way. Should we next start calling raiders narcists? Achievement collectors obsessive compulsive? I draw the line way before those, when you are talking about your potential customers.

Expressions as harsh as "achievement wh0re" do not bother me as much as it doesn´t have that kind of a negative meaning attached to it. Many people even call them selves achievement wh0res but how many call them selves antisocial?

I personally do mind what they said, even if it was meant as sarcastic comment. In that case the joke would had been tasteless.
  7. Xlugon Pyro

I hear people label themselves as this all the time.
  8. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

I don´t.
  9. Xlugon Pyro

Point is, several people use it casually and self-ascribe themselves as such. Carbine knew this and made a lighthearted comment on it. You may claim it was in poor taste. Many would agree with you while others won't mind it or will find it humorous. That's the thing about humor; it can be very subjective and sometimes very politically incorrect. Some comedians make huge careers by saying things that others would deem extremely outrageous and offensive, but they continue to proliferate despite the controversial statements they make.

I think we should be concerned only when we see a clear trend of Carbine antagonizing certain sets of people who play their game(s). Right now, we all know Carbine is being silly and is clearly not out to harm people. We shouldn't blow this out of proportion.
  10. Scarzi

Scarzi Cupcake-About-Town

As long as they don't take cross realm any further I won't have a problem with it. Open world cross realm was the most annoying as it just encouraged rare hunting on other servers and stealing materials. This also opened a whole new window for gold farmers, as they could farm materials on less populated servers.
  11. Xlugon Pyro

Cross-realm zones would plunge me into a state of frothing, blind rage. Carnage would ensue. Heads would roll. Blood would be drank. Bones will crack.
  12. lexoneir

lexoneir New Cupcake

"If you're anti-social, you can click a box to play with only people who you will meet more regularly in your own server."

Makes perfect sense. Wanting to play with people I meet more often is totally anti-social.
    John likes this.