1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WildStar Wednesday - State of the Beta

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Yakzan, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This WildStar Wednesday, Mike Donatelli comes to tell us of some of the progress in the closed beta testing and how some systems have changed from player feedback, such as the milestone system and the ever controversial mob tagging system. Read onwards to see what he has to say about these topics, including as many details as he's able to divulge.
    ( Read more )
    Jini and Kenyar like this.
  2. Red24

Red24 New Cupcake

But come on guys, this is <REDACTED> on a stick and we all know it. "state of the beta" how bout some beta patch notes. What are they gonna release at Games Con now. Or Pax. I think its safe to say business model for Games Con. Classes for Pax. There taking their sweet time and its getting to late. I can feel the hype dieing out. well at least mine is.
    mOBSCENE likes this.
  3. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

I'd rather they get it right and ship an awesome product than rush it out and have it fail.
  4. Götz

Götz New Cupcake

Sounds Great! :)
  5. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like support classes are going to have a harder time leveling.

If I am reading Mike Donatelli's post right they are going to go with a xp / tagging system similar to Tera. I don't know how many of you guys played Tera when it first came out but, this idea didn't work. I am all for grouping ( this is a mmo ) but, this system creates a a tangible imbalance in gameplay. Two sets of rules for players based on class choice is bad design.

IMO follows.... There is already a shortage of support classes in most mmos. This design only serves to exacerbate the issue. Get ready to bend a knee to people that play support classes at high level. I have seen this first hand and it's oh so much fun.

Link to article:
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/wildstar_wednesday_state_of_the_beta.php
  6. Carebear Commander

Carebear Commander Cupcake-About-Town

I'm still hyped and will be happy if they release sometime in 2014. I'm especially enjoying reading about people like you going crazy about when the game launches. Clearly, I am evil and only derive joy from other people's suffering.
    Kash, Angerina and Apostate like this.
  7. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Alright see it now, Red24. How do you expect to have CBT4 notes if that won't come till later this year. We already had the CBT3 notes.

If you want to rage at least know what you're raging about.

I don't mind a latter release also it's been stated "when it's done" a couple of times this should've hinted that you didn't have to put everything on the 'maybe in 2013' horse.
    Angerina and Sonntam like this.
  8. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Bit off topic but i think they made some terrible design decisions in that imo.
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.
  9. Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango Well-Known Cupcake

Speaking as someone who actually likes questing and leveling as a tank, I really hate the generally philosophy behind it. Not everyone enjoys being a damage-dealer, but with that system, you're pretty much forced to unless you want to pug your way to max level.

I'm also curious about how it's going to impact completionists and achievement whores who go back and finish all the quests they missed while leveling. Do you always acquite experience points even when you're well above the level of the zone? And if not, how will you be able to complete any of the affected quests?
    Malorak and Neurotic Cucpake like this.
  10. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Such as? Nobody likes vague statements.
    Angerina and Sonntam like this.
  11. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

How?

If you were playing a support class in any other MMO, you either chose some damage abilities and killed mobs yourself (which you can still do in W*), or you found someone to group with and had them kill mobs for you. None of that has changed, except that you now get full credit for the mob kill if you're in the group.
  12. ArbiterX

ArbiterX New Cupcake

So its encourages us to group up, socialize & help other players. I like it !!
  13. Zellfel

Zellfel Cupcake-About-Town

Not a fan of the quest completion bar and non-mob tagging idea. It almost makes me not want to group with a full support character, considering I'd have to do double duty to complete the same quest. Penalizing partying never seems fun to me.
  14. Eternalfootman

Eternalfootman Cupcake-About-Town

Really good read. I like the changes they're making to already existing systems. Having quest progression being based off xp gain will make certain quests less of a grind. And the additions to group xp for support roles sounds good to me. Even if a dedicated healer didn't do any dmg, if they were integral to the group surviving the encounter they should receive just as much xp as everyone else. Can't wait to get news about the start of CBT 4!
    Witless and Kenyar like this.
  15. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Yes, group leveling encouraged in MMO's, the horror. Please save us from group play in a multiplayer game.

If you're leveling as a tank and aoe grabbing everything you'll still get plenty of credit, if you're leveling as a healer with barely and dps skills, my question simply is why? as you're not locked into a role. Just adjust your bar to have damage abilities.

Mob tagging is annoying, people with instant hits always win. I know i abused it to no end and i'm not unhappy that it is being countered. As long it doesn't go to proportion of back into old Anarchy Online days where you had a burst class come up and steal a rare kill simply by having a heavier burst. Damn Soldiers.
  16. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

Why? Grouping as a full support character, you get all the same XP as you would have if you were questing alone, except you get someone else to do most of the killi g for you. Where's the disadvantage?
  17. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

See, personally I'm rather happy with those changes. They make sense. They realized "hey, this doesn't work well yet" and rather than ship it anyways, they are going back to fix it.
    Power to them for having the balls to actually act on feedback, and for taking the time to get it right. Always remember, when W* launches, we will get a full-featured MMO with a couple hundred hours worth of gameplay AT ENDGAME. Meaning more than simply 5 daily quests, some heroics and a raid. Likely way more.

As for the quest completion bar, that's a pretty sweet thing actually. I like it. And most importantly, I like the idea of tracking progress in a group, as a group. Definitely avoids the whole issue of "wait guys, I still need two of those!" when the group is ready to move on.
    Sonntam and Rare Spawn like this.
  18. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Read it again, it is encouraging grouping. The HP you get is based on the damage the whole "group" does.

Quest completion bar not sure what there's to dislike about it, too many people in the area? You don't have to wait for that final itsy bitsy spider kill. Hand in and move on.
    Onikoroshi, Xevius, Afrotech and 3 others like this.
  19. Red24

Red24 New Cupcake

Why fix something that the crowd "fans" "us" dident even know about cause were not in the beta. I mean they listened to the testers. But in my opinion they could of like said that in CB1 yes?? Not on the edge of CB3 and Gamescon and Pax and AUGUST!!! personally that's just me.
  20. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

My understanding of what I have read is that you will get xp gains based on how much damage you do to the mob.

The mobs do not grey out for other players. A dps class comes over to make the kill and quickly downs the mob I am attacking, so if I am a tank I will do less damage and receive less xp. He receives the lions share of the xp and I am left as a tank with a smaller percentage.

Healers have it worse. In Tera the amount of xp gained was also originally based on dmg dealt. They later added a multiplier for healing done as well but, it never panned out equally.