1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WildStar Wednesday - UI 2.0 Preview: Less Is More

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Zap-Robo, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's a big WildStar Wednesday folks - a look into a change that not even Closed Beta testers have got their mitts on yet! A full overhaul of the WildStar user interface, with an introduction to it by it's Senior Designer - Rob "Orbish" Martin. Lots of images to ogle, so head on over to the official blog, linked below.

( Read more )
  2. sidhia

sidhia Cupcake

Thank you! I love it!
  3. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

yea its looking tasty being able to move all the things and which are active in and out of combat :inlove:
  4. Jetzero

Jetzero New Cupcake

Too bad I don't have a beta key XD well I bet the other people with one is going to enjoy it.
  5. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

Those changes all look very positive and it is interesting to get a glimpse into the process.
  6. Nayukhuut`Chet

Nayukhuut`Chet Cupcake

As long as I can move the elements I'm fine. I'm one of those very few people that apparently doesn't like having things on teh bottom of her screen. All my mmos generally have their hotbars around the top and side. :( Not a huge fan of Wildstars pile everything on the bottom method. Otherwise, the HUD elements themselves look great.
    Kusiga likes this.
  7. Hob

Hob Cupcake

Absolutely love it, and the overall polish they continue to put into the game. It'll be nice not using a modded UI for a change.
  8. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

reason for things being on the bottom is, most likely, so that you're looking at your character more instead of all over the screen. Same reason as speedometer being right in front of you in most cars - keeps your eyes ahead of you instead of wandering every which way ;-)
  9. Nayukhuut`Chet

Nayukhuut`Chet Cupcake

I get that, and I have no issues with it being there by default. However I just find that layout distracting rather than helpful and would just love the option to move the UI elements where I would like them is all. I suppose if they don't add that, that an addon eventually will, so I'm good.
    Kusiga and Kataryna like this.
  10. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

I am not in the closed beta and I have never played in any of the beta weekends. But I have watched streamers on twitch.tv for about three months now and I think I've logged somewhere around 50 hours of viewership time. So I have a little bit of experience seeing how various players are interacting with their UIs.

Most of the changes you posted in UI 2.0 look like a step in the right direction, that massive (mostly unused) additional bar needed to be split up. The target frames are in better locations. It's a good idea to have Quick-access flyouts for health items and mounts (will there be a separate fly-out for potion-type items and food-type items?). Adding the path xp bar is a great idea. Ok, that's what I like. Here's what I think should change:

My biggest concern is the design of health-bars and name-plate health-bars. In my hours and hours of wildstar watching time I've noticed that DPSers and Tanks have had no trouble with the bars, hit it until you can't hit it anymore then move on. However, healers seem to be having trouble in telling the status of player hp in the heat of combat. For example, every single time I've seen someone attempt to heal a battleground (without changing health-bars via an add-on) they end up over-healing or inappropriately healing. This is because when a friendly target's shields are reduced it becomes nearly impossible to tell how much health that target needs. Currently, a target with 80% shields and 100% hp looks almost identical to a target with 90% hp and 90% shields. I realize that there is a difference, but from what I've seen it is not enough for players to notice in the heat of battle. A solution: move the shield bar beneath the hp bar, or have the shield bar partially overlap within the hp bar (this second option would also save screen real-estate).

I am a little worried about the dodge bar in UI 2.0. I feel like it may be difficult to keep track of it when it is on the bottom of the screen. I did like its central placement in the previous UI. A Solution: Place the dodge bar close to the character's portrait, maybe in the lower left or upper right?

I realize that these problems are currently resolvable by downloading existing add-ons. But as someone who likes using default UIs (when possible) I'd prefer to see these changes by the time I get into this game.

Ok, that's my rant! Tell me what you think guys, am I right? Am I wrong?

If anyone from Carbine is reading this I think you guys are doing a great job and I absolutely cannot wait to get my hands on this game. Splitting my time between watching other people play and building LAS/AMP builds online is rough.
  11. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

I think - that you should have posted this in the News thread about it, not make your own thread about it? maybe?
  12. Onemanwolf

Onemanwolf New Cupcake

be nice if the mini map was down on the bottom too like NUI on wow interface.
  13. intrinsc

intrinsc New Cupcake

It's...so beautiful *tear*
  14. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Not to mention its not like it really matters. There are at least 3 fan made complete revamps in the works, 2 of which from prominent UI makers from WoW. Whatever you want to fill your needs you will be able to get a hold of if not on release, soon after. As it is, its "fit enough" for purpose till then.
  15. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

I have not seen the UI, but I understand what you mean. As a healer, if I cannot heal shields, then it is not something I want to see too much. A smaller bar below it, or just a glow around the HP bar would be good enough. If I can heal shields, then sure, but it should be displayed in a way that is very separate from the HP bar.

I also prefer the default UI, and while addons can fix things, it is still no excuse to have a sub-par default UI...
  16. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

That's okay - I can fix that :) Merged.
    Kataryna likes this.
  17. BlueDragon18

BlueDragon18 Cupcake-About-Town

I like a lot of the stuff at the top too, so I can see what's close more easily. You are NOT alone! lol
    Nayukhuut`Chet likes this.
  18. BlueDragon18

BlueDragon18 Cupcake-About-Town

Not to worry. If Carbine doesn't make it moveable, some modder definitely will. There are already hundreds of mods available (take a look at the press videos - some show long lists of them)
  19. Perigon

Perigon Cupcake

I like that there's an option to turn certain UI elements on/off automatically in different scenarios like combat. Don't think I've come across such a feature before in an mmo.
  20. JBear

JBear New Cupcake

I like it. The old UI was kind of bland, and I rarely see anyone that like the character bars up top. The new UI looks Sci-fi'ish, which blends with the game more, and adds some flexibility to please people.

Of course, as already pointed out, the mod-community is already churning out tons of content, and anyone not happy with the stock UI should be able to find something they like with ease. Can't wait for the game - release it already!!