1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WildStar Wednesday - What are WildStar Adventures?

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Zap-Robo, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If a new WS Flick, a DevSpeak and community streamers showing off Adventures is not enough then you're in luck - Mark "Anlath" Hulmes has posted up a new article on the official site which delves into the system, with details on the different Sim Cores and even detail from the beta iterations of Adventures.

( Read more )
  2. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Yays! Adventures! Wheee!

.....by the way you can always sort of tell when beta servers are up or if it's a stress test weekend by how many posts there are on the forums.

Anyways! Adventures! Yays!

They seem to be the engine to variety in wildstar based on the description. They can include just about any kind of playstyle that the want and many of the features are things that have been mentioned on these forums over the past year too!

It all goes to increase the replayability to the adventures. Veteran mode is interesting. It was brought up that raids don't have tiers, but apparently adventures to have tiers. Two of them! One at their available level and another in veteran mode at level 50. Apparently, anyway. I do wonder if Adventures would auto-level you to the level cap of an adventure though.
  3. Ironscyde

Ironscyde New Cupcake

I like the utility of "simulation" themed content. Like mentioned; it allows for different mechanics and stories that would not otherwise fit into the world. Not that it's a totally new idea as WoW had the Caverns of Time, GW2 had fractals.

However I wonder about the lore. I'm not avid about all things lore but I still like to feel my character had some impact upon the world. With the CoT the players were rewriting (or re-rewriting) history and with fractals the players were in alternate dimensions but at least the people were real. If it's all a simulation then no one is truly effected.

So I was wondering if there is any lore reason why the following can't be true:
    The simulations aren't founded upon nothing but instead based on historical events.

At least then someone at some point in time did something.

I realise the multiple choices kinda act against this theory but could it be that some combination of the choices is what "actually" happened. The Caretaker could therefore be simulating "what if" story lines that test whether you would make the same decisions and then record the consequences of them.

I'm not looking for proof in support of my theory but rather proof that might contradict it. If there is none I can choose to believe the above and live in my own sweet world of denial.
  4. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

That's a good point. I think that Carbine has left that door open with the introduction of "The Caretaker" personality. The AI that runs the simulation. Everything else might be fake, not in the real world, but the Caretaker is very real.

I could see this as developing an excuse to create an event where the Caretaker becomes (more) corrupt and takes over an old Eldan factory and starts mass producing bosses and monsters that, numerically, had the best record in the simulation against the players. Thus launching the premise for another seasonal dungeon to enter the Caretaker's core and push the restart button.
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Lorewise see it like this:

Positive approuch:
    You are working for the caretaker!!! The caretaker is this immense ''control-system'' that also collects information.
    You are helping him in making calculation to see what would've happend if something went a different way!
    Why is this neccesary?
    The caretaker wants to get smarter and seeing as the ''Dark Ones'' will return i'm sure we could use the help of a caretaker that has just gained ten times more info because we helped him!
    He could be the ''help'' you'll need in one of the last fights vs the last boss. (the best end raids are those that have the lore implemented in the game from the start!!!)

Or.........
    Negative approuch:
    Or mine, which is even worse:
    You just helped making the creature that single handedly destroyed the Eldan get even stronger :D It's all his plan!

Eitherway you WILL have impact!!! Weither this is negative or positive......it will take some time before knowing the full extend of your help to the caretaker!
  6. Ironscyde

Ironscyde New Cupcake

I never thought about it from the point of view that the Caretaker is our link to the real world. It makes sense any resolution to the story will involve him.

It is early days but I'm sure we'll see some sort of conclusion. Here's to hoping for "Best of Hits" that brings back the old favourites of the existing adventures.
  7. Narwrynn

Narwrynn New Cupcake

I want an endless tower defense game I can play with my friends in Wildstar. I know that "fun" options like these won't see the same level of traffic as the rewarding ones but it be nice to have them.

Edit:
    I like the ideal of having to reset a crazed caretaker. They should probably put in a mini-adventure in there where your group gets trapped in circus/daycare/somethingsillynotserious simulation that has gone mad with psyconaughts style imaginary and trying to fix what ever is wrong with the care taker. It would work on multiple levels because it would in-cooperate the Adventure feature of the game, it would take you out of the deadly serious nature of raid and put you in a non-threatening environment gone mad (highlighting the insane and erratic nature of the caretaker) AND involve trying to fix the corrupted caretaker.

I think the caretake will either be the first boss of the original patch or the last major boss before their first expansion. The way they set him up he is perfect for the role.

Also take note of this: Up to this point we haven only heard that the Elden disappeared. However, the Caretaker says the abandoned him. Implying that where not wiped out but rather that the left nexus.
    Now when he says that he was crazed, maybe if he hadn't been crazy he would have said something like "When the Elden evacuated" Could this be a foreshadowing that we will try to follow the Elden to another planet? Could it mean that the Elden where trying to get away from something on Nexus? Where they forced to leave or was it a choice?
  8. rellikhunter

rellikhunter New Cupcake

As soon as you said trapped, I immediately thought of the last boss encounter in psychonauts. This would be awesome!

[/QUOTE]

I have heard other people speculate about this as well. I could see expansions going to other planets. I mean Myala Everstar promised her people she would return to Arboria, so I can see us going there eventually.
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Have you heard the story of the ''Thing'' or ''Dark Ones'' yet?

And IT's comming back!!!! First it went after the Eldan and now....who knows what IT will be....

But seriously haven't anyone heard that story? I keep repeating myself 10 times a week about this part of the lore! Stated by a Carbinite himself!