1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Wildstar's Economic Game

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Yakzan, May 31, 2013.

1. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Those economically inclined, whether you be a crafter or a lover of graphs, will be delighted with an article written by Carbine's Charles "Bull" Durham. Within you may find insight from him on what an MMO economy entails along with all the joys and pitfalls the economy team has to deal with in order to support a healthy economy.
    ( Read more )
  2. Kethrym

Kethrym Well-Known Cupcake

MMOPapa is gonna have a cow today. :D
    Xlugon Pyro and Aladen like this.
  3. Crovax32

Crovax32 New Cupcake

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/wildstars_economic_game.php

I am happy I see no reference to
    Cash Currency-> Game Currency
    Game Currency-> Cash Currency

I am not a fan of it but maybe I don't understand it like others might. So if you are for a system where you can purchase game currency and then trade it let me know.

Bah. Wish I could edit the Poll question to make it more clear.
    Teehk likes this.
  4. JoeDragon

JoeDragon Cupcake-About-Town

I am too! This is some pretty interesting information. I'm one who greatly enjoys the Economic game in MMO's. There were things that I already assumed that were confirmed in this article. Like repairs and AH fees.

I'm very happy that the Devs are taking the economy this seriously. It bodes well for a great system. I am however now very interested in the whole Buyback ability for rezzing. (I've heard before it has a cooldown to keep it from being too OP) As well as the fast travel costs. I see that they won't be trivial and you will actually want to think about if you can afford to use them. I really like that.
    Kenyar and Kethrym like this.
  5. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I would rather have it so you can buy game time tokens and trade that for game currency. Not something where you can take money out of the game - unless you are the developer.

Simply put, I think the ups of a legalized source of buying gold indirectly is better than having gold sellers in a game and it is also the greatest deterent to gold sellers. Same time it helps those, who has plenty time but no money and those who have plenty money but not enough time making a deal with each other.

Everybody directly involved wins with it - developers, token sellers and token buyers.

Secondary parties may complain about it though.

That said, not sure this thread is allowed, since the posts relates to cash shop content...

EDIT: added post I replied to.
    Kenyar and Aladen like this.
  6. Discord

Discord New Cupcake

Great article. I was glad to get a glimpse of how a dev thinks and just how complex this (or any) part of the game really is. And props to the Napoleon Dynamite reference! Wildstar team is awesome! I am counting down the days until this game is released...
    Bull likes this.
  7. Aladen

Aladen Cupcake

I'm not an economist, but I came to the conclusion that the bank will be Item Shop.
    It's no surprise, it was to be expected, you have to make money somehow, but are in addition to Item Shop will earn more in some other way?

After first reading the title, rubbed hands that finally I find out the method of payment. I got a quarter of its response.

The article was very interesting, written in clear the way for the common man. Characteristically here to use the word - "bull" as a customer / consumer.

I look forward to more of this type of articles.
    Kenyar and Bull like this.
  8. Zero713

Zero713 Cupcake

Article was well written and answered some old questions of mine. Always wondered why there we hold sinks, and ridiculous prices for mounts etc.

Def worth the read. As always, thanks for sharing some insight Carbine!
  9. FruityToon

FruityToon New Cupcake

Long as they do better then Neverwinter:p HEhe..

No, on a real note I like what I read. Considering I played Allods for like 3years how there looking at this dont seem as idk ridicules as other MMOs take on economy.
  10. Chooby

Chooby Cupcake

A great read. I'm glad they have an intelligent grasp on something so vital to the success of a MMO.
  11. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Interesting article .
  12. Zanveen

Zanveen New Cupcake

Intriguing...
    Kind of died a little when I read about repair costs, as someone who has raided quite a bit its a pain if the raid does not give a little return money. But I guess its necessary.
    Teehk likes this.
  13. Azhdaha

Azhdaha Cupcake-About-Town

Neat article, but I can't wait to see how the theories are actually applied in-game. At least the devs clearly understand how important the economy is to the longevity of the game!
  14. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I've only read a portion of it so far but it's an interesting read nonetheless. Always nice to hear game design theory and analysis, especially considering that it's an industry I'd like to get involved in.
  15. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

Exactly the kind of thing I've been hoping to see. Happy to lay my concerns to rest.
  16. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

17. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Why do people keep posting the link?!?!?! It's already in the first post :confused: Why would i need 3 links to it?
    To say the least! :D

I love Eco, and love it even more if it's the in-game Eco i can read about :p
    Love their approuch and, i agree with everyone that it's a nice/easy and good to understand read for (i think) everyone.

Depending on which games you've played, in alot of raids you would have most of the money back from the raid mobs/bosses. Some games didn't had that.....but well.....it's a price for dying? I mean no penalties for dying in raids.....i aint so sure if that's a good thing either.

But we'll just have to see how the repairs are implemented. I for one don't mind it, and see it more as a ''realistic'' gold-sink (don't think real life weapons would last forever in fights!).

The posts i quoted below and this new article makes me have good hopes for the Eco in-game :up:

Bull quote's about Goldsinks and the in-game Eco-flora: Source
    Kenyar likes this.
  18. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

Because I keep merging threads into this one, that's why. :p
    Bull and Extatica like this.
  19. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

Very interesting article indeed. They seem to have a firm grasp on it, and plan to keep an eye on it in the future (with the "bull" and stuff). This is good. Some games seem to set it up, and then let it run rampart, until everything breaks. I hope Carbine can keep a good handle on it, and adjust prices as necessary.
  20. lee sinclair

lee sinclair Cupcake

I noticed it wasnt mentioned in the article as it would prob spoil the upbeat tone of it but how will Gold (plat) selling impact game inflation and how are u gonna (bother to?) control it?
    You will be giving out free trial accounts most likely at some point to boost sales/exposure.. These accounts are most commonly used by the cretins to do thier front end buisness ..any insights your able to tell ? (ofc some stuff is need to know). just curious :) . Lookin forward to some hands-on (the game i mean..not your granma).