1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WildStar's Payment Model Revealed

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Yakzan, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What a morning it is! WildStar's payment model has been revealed to be a hybrid model. This model consists of a subscription fee, typical of other subscription MMOs, along with an in-game commodity item known as C.R.E.D.D. which can be used to apply game time to your account, a model which mimics EVE's PLEX model. Also revealed is a changed estimated release period to Spring 2014, along with a few details about the Commodity Exchange that will be in the game and where C.R.E.D.D. will be exchanged.
    ( Read More )
    ( Read More - Gaffney Blog Post )
    ( Read More - MMORPG.com )
    ( Read More - Massively )
    ( Read More - ZAM )
    ( Read More - TenTonHammer )
    Soelus, Jackie1st, Afrotech and 2 others like this.
  2. B00TE

B00TE Cupcake-About-Town

I'm totally okay with this. I don't mind subbing so long as the game is fun and/or provides content updates on a regular basis.
    Malorak, Oliks, Fuzedknight and 4 others like this.
  3. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> I'll be trying to keep all discussion about the payment model in this thread, so until Zap says otherwise, the payment model discussion ban still applies except in this thread. </Mod Monocle>

<Admin Hat> Zap says otherwise! Topic is removed from the Prohibited list - you may discuss at will! </Admin Hat>
  4. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

The payment model is irrelevant a good game carries itself on its merits, those complaining about being unable to afford a game you have more important priorities than sitting behind a PC the whole day crying about it being "too expensive", you know like work, re-education yourself to get work...

And yes as a previous poster has stated legal trades of currency in game undercuts the often artificially controlled market price of currency in the hands of just gold sellers and third parties.

How this actually plays out in the economy no clue but there has to be plenty of sinks in to counter your usual problems in an mmo.
  5. AnotherJaggens

AnotherJaggens Cupcake-About-Town

Ok, I was replying to a person who stated that it is hard to control CREDD market as it is.

EXACTLY!

GW2 have shown a flaw of this system: limited supply luxury items (precursors - extremely hard to obtain, and ridiculously expensive). Those are being controlled by some extremely wealthy players, because they have amount of gold to get rid of small competition. CREDD is not a limited supply luxury item, so it's impossible to control that market reliably.

Show me a person that will state he is going to be richest player by playing with CREDD on CX, so I can have a good laugh.
    Sonntam likes this.
  6. Bomoo

Bomoo Cupcake

Glorious news. For those of you still on the fence, a little bird told me that the game is amazing and completely worth your $11 a month. This ain't your usual scrubby bait-and-switch shovelware chasing after WoW's success.
    Echo likes this.
  7. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Well since the other thread got locked I guess I'll just copy paste my comment here.

I'm surprised and a bit disappointed by their choice of business model. I can't remember any subscription based MMORPG that have done well in the long run since the dawn of WoW, and it's doesn't help that Wildstar is a brand new IP and has no extra hype from franchises like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings or Warhammer to rest on. Especially in this day and age where there's so many great F2P games out there, MMORPG's in particular, they really have to deliver on everything they've promised or I can easily foresee this game not lasting (ie being popular) for more than a few months. I guess the option to be able to buy playtime with the in-game currency is a comfort to some, and while I'm not so sure about the selling of playtime for in-game currency I guess it worked out alright in GW2 so it shouldn't be a problem I guess.

Me and my friends will play Wildstar either way, but I'm sure this choice of business model will drive away a LOT of potential players, it's a shame. The pressure is really on Carbine now to deliver on everything they've promised and make it live up to the hype. I have faith.
    Snorf and Nearo like this.
  8. Drayvo

Drayvo Cupcake

No, the richest person will be the one who buys CREDD from Carbine and then sells it for gold in game, and then usees that massive amount of gold to control the auction house. It's a form of pay-to-win to those who can abuse it.
    Chooby, Fuzedknight, Nearo and 2 others like this.
  9. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

Well, I'm a little bit disappointed.
    Many of us can't afford to pay a sub (yeah, and don't you dare come with the "you can buy a theater ticket for that price") OR don't have enough time to play constantly to be worth it to sub. I'm certain that the hardcore players are celebrating now, but I think they lost a very good portion of the possible player base by this move.

If you love this, fine.. I hope you'll get your money worth. Be happy with it.
    Daynejah and Nearo like this.
  10. Shinozuka

Shinozuka Cupcake

I guess I will be playing RIFT awhile. I am wondering if a Cash shop is being discussed. I hope the devs get asked about that at the upcoming shows.

I won't be surprised if there is a shop.
  11. Vulgork

Vulgork Cupcake

This might actually be a dealbreaker for me.

I was hoping for a f2p or b2p model as it's much more casual friendly. Some months I might just play 5-7 days with my girlfriend or something and that would really not be worth it. That also is nowhere near the time it would take to farm 20$ worth of ingame gold, especially since then I'd be farming to buy myself more farmtime which is not fun.
    So I'm obviously part of the demographic that will be unhappy with this. Looking for a fun past-time, not a second life or a second job =/

Let's see what the € prices are, but most games tend to just convert X dollars into X €, meaning paying in euros ends up being much more expensive. I was thinking if any new subscription based games showed up, the subscription cost would be lower than what we have seen before, but it seems the prices are actually going up.

Also don't like the idea of people being able to buy gold for money, which the CREDD system basically is. If you make it subscription based, at least go all the way.

Shame.
    Snorf, Nearo and Gargantua like this.
  12. SebsokK

SebsokK New Cupcake

When I saw Wildstar's official page for the payment model, I was like "OMG THIS IS FOR REAL. WILDSTAR IS COMING. YES YES YES".
    Then I saw the announcement concerning the Spring 2014 release... And then excitement went down all of a sudden.

Damn I'm disappointed. And afraid, because Wildstar will be released almost at the same time than TESO (and probably the new WoW expansion). How can a new IP can compete against the Elder Scrolls AND the still biggest MMO in the world ?

In a way, I'm happy, cause I always liked "niche MMORPGs" (as an EvE Player). Still, Wildstar wasn't designed as a niche MMORPG and it may end up being a commercial failure and... we all know what NC Soft does when they think a game is a commercial failure (Tabula Rasa... I still miss you)...

It's too bad : if Wildstar were released for Christmas 2013, they would be the only new MMO on the market and would have probably won the bell.
    Zavier likes this.
  13. Narrack

Narrack Cupcake

Am i reading it right?

So its a "Normal" sub game but you have an option of buying more sub time using in game cash shop currency, Which you can get from selling items, coins etc to players which have it thus making it free to play if you can make enough in game money to trade with another player? like PLEX?

I can live with that, assuming decent gear is still BOP like in WoW you cant buy power just playtime and cosmetics, and it also means sub players could presumably buy any cosmetics form the cash shop this way buy just using their in game gold and trading it the same way.

I think ill just pay for the sub personally.
  14. SebsokK

SebsokK New Cupcake

The thing is that you can't buy Raid stuff...
    So even if you're able to get a lot of gold with your credit card, it won't affect the in-game balance. Many MMOs out there already use this system and honestly, it's one of the best in my opinion.
    Ehcko likes this.
  15. Ahkronn

Ahkronn Cupcake

I wonder how hard will CREDD be to get. In Rift, they have this REX thing that sells for around 1000/1500 Plat. Not that it's impossible to make 1000 plat per month, but sure isn't something that comes with regular gameplay every month.
    I am divided between the happy and the sad about this payment model.
    Happy, because I know by experience that sub models usually have a better support and updates (maybe TSW is the excepting, with amazing regular updates on a B2P) but sad because the economy around here is not supportive of this kind of thing.
    I have to always think in 2 game purchase and 2 game subs (mine and wife's) and believe it or not, 120€ to buy + 26€/month to sustain the sub is a dent to our carefully controlled expenses.
    I know it sounds like it's not much to many around here, but the reality and "real value of money" changes a lot from country to country, and at my country those "little" amounts do some difference.
    Anyway, still excited about all this. I think I'll start putting some cash aside until next spring for a double box buy and double year sub. *sigh*
    Baamz, Daynejah and Gargantua like this.
  16. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

I'm extremely disappointed on the reaction on other game related outlets and in some extent on this site as well.Aren't people happy this is sub based?Why?The developer is honest,give us this sum of money every month,and we have the liberty to work unrestricted by resources.When a developer needs that sub every month to keep the ship running,he will bust his a*& of to make good enough content for people to stay subbed.

Why do people prefer F2P?So we can have p2w systems in place?So i have to pay for god damn inventory space and character slots,when the game should have them by default?If they went b2p,how would they pay for the 300 + employees Gaffney announced for launch?With RNG boxes like the korrean games?With the rarest items in the game on the AH like in GW 2?Do people actually want that?Show me a f2p or b2p MMO where a person who spends cash in the cashshop doesn't have the slightest gameplay advantage over the others.Show me one.
    Oliks, Bomoo, Fuzedknight and 5 others like this.
  17. Commander Fensom

Commander Fensom New Cupcake

They won't survive the competition with the ESO, I'm sorry, it' just the way it is, and with all the next-gen stuff too? No way will people play this instead of the other great MMO's.
    DPSClass and Bigal007 like this.
  18. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

This is very similar to my argument and comments from the other thread.

The way the Carbine announcement and FAQ reads, there is no way to obtain CREDD in-game without buying it from the CX (auction house). The only way to put it onto the CX is to buy it off the Carbine website and then list it on the CX.

So unless I am mistaken, no person can use CREDD for game time until another person first buys CREDD for real cash and places it on the CX.

If people aren't buying CREDD with cash, then no one will be using their in-game gold for game time.
    Gargantua likes this.
  19. Luke Wyngarde

Luke Wyngarde Cupcake

I'm confused as to why the other thread was locked ...

This community is so weird.
  20. dizko

dizko Cupcake-About-Town

If you reference how no game since WoW has done well on a subscription model please remember this: That is correlation not causation. All of those games were mediocre at best and often times down right terrible. So lets not try to relate subscriptions as the reasons these games did not do well, they didn't do well because there weren't that good. Those games change models as to try and salvage a game that isn't worthy of a subscription model. I believe that Wildstar is and if that means a smaller but more dedicated player base, than so be it. If quality prevails here, the subscribers will come in due time. Patience is key here.
    Bomoo, Fuzedknight, Dalejm545 and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.