1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Wildstar's Qualities.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Samsquanch, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Samsquanch

Samsquanch Cupcake

The purpose of this thread is to see what is most important to us as an MMORPG community for Wildstar to meet our expectations. Please provide what is most important to you about each of the features we will find in Wildstar (you can add examples to add greater depth to your point). The list of things I'm looking for and maybe the developers will see are:

Solo Play
    Group Play
    Dungeons/Raids
    PvP
    Crafting/Professions
    Economy
    Path System
    Housing
    Combat
    EndGame "Elder Game"

So I guess I'll start...

Solo Play: I want enough stuff to do while leveling and at endgame that when friends/guilds are not around I can still find meaningful things to do.

Group Play: Group play should be fun and rewarding, competitive and care bear things to do in PvE grouping. There should be reason for why people would want to group up while PvEing.

Dungeons/Raids: Dungeons, while still being rewarding, should be the casual side of raiding. While Raiding should stay as epic content that not everyone will be achieving at the same time. I don't want dungeons and raids to become something you go through a couple times and never have incentive or desire to go back.

PvP: While rewards are awesome to have in PvP, I would rather have fun, competitive, and balanced pvp that keeps me coming back more so than just the reward. Like how your FPS or RTS players keep playing the same maps and whatnot, but they still enjoy it because of the competitive and fun atmosphere of growing better as a player.

Crafting/Professions: I would like to not only have fun things to craft, but things that are actually usable. We find many MMORPG's where the crafting system, while fun, doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Also, don't make crafting something that feels tedious within the process of making something (10 bars of iron shouldn't take 5 minutes to craft.)

Economy: Supply and demand. I would like to see items that can be crafted that are extremely useful, but hard to make or find the mats for. Rare item drops from mobs that could be of good use to someone or just collectibles (mounts, mini pets, lore books, dyes, etc etc...). If everything is equally easy to obtain, the economy will be short lived like we have seen in many MMORPG's of late.

Path System: Since this is a brand new feature not really seen in MMORPG's, I'm still kind of waiting to try it myself to see how it works. Although, I would hope that we have many options within our paths of choice to be of service to the community in someway shape or form.

Housing: Love this added feature, so many broken promises with other MMORPGs in this department. I want reason to go there, customization, to feel as much of a part of my home as the cities and environments.

Combat: I love stats, gear, etc, but I also want combat to be skill based, visceral, and fun. Although for just questing, combat should not be so hard to the point you are beating yourself in the head, but not so easy that you can eat a cheeseburger and drink a milkshake while leveling. Leave the harder stuff to Elites, dungeons, raids, and world bosses.

Endgame "Elder Game": For me, this is the most important aspect of all MMORPG's and is what I consider to be the thing that will keep players playing. The better the endgame, the bigger the community. So with that said, endgame needs to focus on more than just one aspect, but all main aspects of a game. For Wildstar we need to see more raid content, dungeons, solo content, collectibles, rare items and loot, updated path and profession systems, more housing goods, etc etc. I don't want it to fall in the hole of just adding a raid every 6 months and then an expansion. Most MMORPG players play for all sorts of reasons. Some even get on just to socialize. Make the majority and minority happy when it comes to endgame.
    Maddog Charlie and Yakzan like this.
  2. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Stuff I find important/am excited about in Wildstar

Roleplay/Customization: The ability to tailor your characters look and armor is amazing. No longer will you be stuck wearing 7 mismatched pieces of clothing because you need that +2 mana stat. Now you can dress how your character would dress, no matter if they're a merc or a farmer, and no matter what level you are.

Housing: Housing! Need I say more? No. I don't.

....and that's it.

No, really. Every mmo can do combat or raids or pvp or whatever. And if I wanted a "fun" game I could go play a fun game. I have tons of them. What makes an mmorpg great is when it transcends being just a game you can play with friends and becomes a living breathing entity in and of itself. When you can live in the game. Nerdy as that sounds. When the game feels real. Your character feels real. And the world feels real. While also having a strong community to back up and flesh out that world. I judge an mmo not by its pvp factor, or by its endgame but by how many non-combat things I can do (that also matter in some regard)....so....yeah...boy I rambled on quite a bit there.
    SiegaPlays, Samsquanch and Yakzan like this.
  3. Samsquanch

Samsquanch Cupcake

I respect that 100%.
  4. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

I actually was considering making a thread along these lines. I guess I'll have to give you the credit this time. :p I shall contribute, at least, though I do not wish to be too specific because there are so many unknowns and a lot of what we can go off of is still speculation. Perhaps I'll give a more refined post once we either got to know more or if I got a hands on that I can actually talk about. Without further ado, a wall of text:

Solo Play: What I seek for in solo play is meaningful content but doesn't conflict with group content. What I mean by that is that I want group content to be more rewarding, or at least differently rewarding, than solo content. I'd also like part of it to be 'chill' where I can just relax during off hours or after a long bout of group play.

Group Play: What I look for in group play nowadays is a variety of challenging and engaging content. I don't want just PvP, raids or dungeons. I love group events or quests, zones event, or at least sub-zones, dedicated to requiring a group. I want group play, especially in higher levels, to be encouraged and rewarded. I do not want solo instances blocking me from playing with my friends, nor do I want counter-intuitive content design that discourages group play.

Dungeons/Raids: I would love challenging small-group content, i.e. 3-5 man content. I don't want our most challenging content for that group size to be akin to current WoW's heroic dungeons. I'd be extremely disappointed that me and 4 decent players cannot play content that engages us in a similar way that raids do for large groups. With raids, I'm mostly in line with what they've talked about so far in having a variety of raid sizes and the content used for them to be separate, not the 10/25 man design used by WoW currently. If anyone decides to start an argument about that here I will be sad towards you and you don't want that.

PvP: Here I don't have too high expectations or desires because all of that has been snuffed from me in the past 7 years or so. I am not a fan of PvP minigames (Arenas/Battlegrounds) but that is the big seller in PvP. I'm more for the spontaneous PvP as found in world PvP and persistent zone battles (RvR/WvW). Otherwise, my other desire is in terms of itemization. I'm not a fan of PvP gear progression.

Crafting/Professions: I've mentioned this in another thread that I've been extremely disappointed with crafting in most MMOs to date, besides examples like SWG and VG. It needs its own love like combat gets. I want crafting to matter. I don't want crafted items to be purely cosmetic or 'gateway/filler' items. Crafting should matter. Also, it should be fun. The design of crafting used since WoW is an insult to the concept of crafting. Crafting should be fun, not a chore. Carbine has been hinting that their crafting will be in-depth and robust, and I hope so.

Economy: I seriously doubt I'd get anything like it, but I want an economy that favors the crafter rather than the stock broker. I want it to be personal while having conveniences like the auction house. For a more general idea of how I view MMO economies, look to the link in my signature and especially the comments section on that site as it has Raph Koster of UO/SWG fame giving a view on economy that I share.

Path System: This is what got me initially interested in the game. This is the first game I started following where the studio not only acknowledged the Bartle test's existence but incorporated it into the game as a mechanic. I'm very much looking into this experiment of MMO feature design.

Housing: As a big fan of LotRO's housing but feeling it was sorely lacking, what I'm hearing interests me a lot. We still know so little so it's hard for me to say. I just want it to be robust, interesting, important but not take away from the world of the game. A tricky thing to do, for sure, but I look forward to seeing more of it.

Combat: Surprisingly, this is something I have the least interest in. I'm still interested and look forward to playing with it just like anyone else. It's just that I'm more invested in different aspects of MMOs. It definitely looks fun and like a cool new way to approach MMO combat that I hope succeeds.

Elder/End Game: What I'm looking forward to is seeing the world much more utilized and a lot more important. I don't want the only 'world content' to be dailies, gathering or something simple. I want the world to be alive in the Elder Game. Recently so much of it has been delegated to instanced content such as PvP minigames, dungeons and raids. I seriously hope they do have these things and more, but also to give people a reason to go out, explore, meet new people and keep the world alive.
    Samsquanch likes this.
  5. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Solo Play
    Lots of stuff to do like GW2. In that game, I often felt like there were lots of things I could go off and do on a whim. Not being in a group let me do whatever I felt like whenever I felt like. From what it sounds like, Wildstar's already got lots of layers of things happening at any given time in an area.

Group Play
    Cooperative systems, not cutthroat ones :confused:. Like Diablo 3 and GW2, all loot should be your own/

Dungeons/Raids
    Not too large in size, please ^_^. I'd prefer a smaller size where each individual makes a big impact.

PvP
    Not really interested in PvP. :p I guess I may as well wish for no part of the world to just be open PvP, unless on a PvP server.

Crafting/Professions
    I've never been a huge fan of crafting in any game. :p

Economy
    idunnolol

Path System
    For the Settler in particular, I hope for a significant amount of things to do even when there aren't many other players around. Being too social-based seems a bit risky in the event that there's ever a significant drop in active users (tends to happen a couple months after release) - just a little scared is all. :p

Housing
    Not sure :p

Combat
    Proper dynamic combat! During GW2's development, I was excited that that game also used telegraphs, but combat didn't turn out quite the way I had hoped. I'm hoping Wildstar will achieve what I hope GW2's combat was going to be like. ^_^

But also, I don't want lag! That's the #1 thing really. In a game with fast-paced combat and freeform targeting, not getting too much lag is very important. :eek:

EndGame "Elder Game"
    I don't know what they're planning, but if it's something cool and not repetitive, I'd be in :p. Grinding the same dungeon/raid again and again just doesn't feel rewarding for me.
  6. Ender

Ender Well-Known Cupcake

Solo Play
    Like others have said, plenty to do.
    Also, minimal "competition" with other solo players. I don't want to not being able to help someone out because I might accidentally steal their loot/exp. I do think GW2 had a good point when they said "You should never be annoyed to see another player".

Group Play
    Making grouping viable, also when you're not playing together -all- the time. If my husband gets 3 levels ahead, I don't want it to be impossible to level together. Give us an option to still play together, even if we're not exactly at the same spot.

Dungeons/Raids
    For me, variation is the key here. Running through the same cave systems eight times, with just slightly different mobs in each just isn't that much fun. Making each dungeon/raid a completely new and unique experience will make the overall experience so much more interesting.

And I'd love it if it actually took some tactics. In some games, you can pretty much faceroll through the early to late level dungeons, which means that a lot of people never actually learn how to play, because they don't need to. With the system WildStar is using, it seems like they're already focusing a lot on making the learning experience an integrated part of the game, so I'd love to see that in dungeons too.

PvP
    I would love to see actual skill mattering. There are some games (WoW for instance), where specific gear or class imbalance can mean that you have no way of being able to compete, no matter what your skill level is.
    I also think it fosters games where strategy gets ignored for a more "Red name: KILL KILL KILL" mentality, which is a shame. I love PVP, but if I can't see any difference, even as I work on my skill and actively try to better myself, it ends up being too frustrating.

Also, while CC is fun and an important part of most PVP, you shouldn't be able to completely lock someone out of their character until you kill them. It doesn't create fun play when you sit for 30-60 seconds at a time with no control and then die. Over and over. Challenges are great, challenges you have no way of overcoming, not so much.

Crafting/Professions
    I've never been much of a crafter, and that has a lot to do with the fact that it rarely feels worth it as you level up. There might be some great stuff at endgame, but it usually costs a lot of money to get there, it's hard to keep up to your level, etc. My husband often craft, and the result usually is that he's broke as a bird and need me to funnel him money, and nothing really to show for it.
    Crafting can be great, but it would be awesome to see it be worth it. Personally, I like crafting that gives me more cosmetic stuff. Perhaps items for my house? Not something I need to keep 100% up to date, but something I can work on when I feel like it, that won't necessarily make or break the game, but instead just give my something shiny to look at, or a fun little game mechanic to play around with.

Economy
    I don't really have much of an opinion there.

Path System
    Hard to say before we've really tried it out. I love the idea though, I think it's absolutely great!
    The only thing I hope is that they manage to make all of the paths feel interesting and different. Give each of them something that only they can do, to make you feel "special" :D

Housing
    I just really want the ability to invite people into my house, which I'm pretty sure is guaranteed.
    Besides that, freedom and variation is always nice. I wrote this in another thread, so I'll just repeat here: I'd love to see especially race specific items, so my Aurin's house can have a distinct Aurin flavor, while my Mechari home will have a completely different feel to it. If they could add some class or path specific items too, so a scientist could have a laboratory, a soldier maybe a training dummy, etc, that would be absolutely amazing!

Combat
    Fun, dynamic and "flashy". Not meaning tons of particle effects, but just something that makes you feel epic, with a lot of varied animations so you really enjoy watching the character you're playing. Combat animation have changed my mind on races in the past.

EndGame "Elder Game"
    Stuff to do! Endgame! Patrician wrote an excellent article about it from a roleplayer's perspective, which pretty much covers why him and I have been unable to stick games and characters out for the long haul lately: If you don't feel a motivation to play at end game, your main option is to reroll, and there's only so many times you can see the same content before it starts feeling like "You've seen it all before".

Go read Patrician's article here. Even from a non-roleplay perspective, there's some good stuff there ^^
  7. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Solo Play
    Engaging solo play through levelling, including challenging solo content and achievements.
    Gating for dungeon play every levelling tier through role specific challenges.

Companions
    Hire an alt as a solo/group slot companion, or buy a world specific companion creature from someone with an "animal" breeder profession.
    Companions can sell junk if alt / "sentient" or sniff out harvesting treasures if breeded from wildlife.
    Companions dissappears automatically when players are invited to fill the group (like SWTOR companions).

Group Play
    Ease of use/spontanious open world group formation feature (like Rift imho succeeded with), good open world lfg tool for finding people looking for the same specific objective, dungeon finder tool for any type of instanced group content with player set filter options.

Dungeons play
    Dynamic dungeons with extra randomly spawned content if we meet in-dungeon objectives.
    Gating for raid play through completing all group dungeons on either levelling or elder game difficulty including meeting objectives to randomly spawn extra dungeon content.

Raid play
    Dynamic instanced raids with extra randomly spawned content if we meet encounter objectives. The harder the difficulty overcome the better the price.
    Open world spawned events with announcing zonewide and on event chat channel and on world map.

Loot
    Unique loot, based on rng with activity modification on roll against the machine - not based on numbers, but on how much the player tried to participate.
    Aoe looting, my life is too short for bending over repeatedly!

PvP
    Rank and achievement driven progression giving access to choices of talents to spawn open world events, vanity gear by rank/achievement unlocks.
    Open world pvp is player spawned events in contested areas (areas where both factions have other play objectives).
    Instanced team vs team arenas and instanced objective pvp.
    Space vehicle encounters.

Crafting/Professions
    Alternate progression path, independent from level, though reaching higher crafting than level will require dependence on alts or playing the auction house.
    Layered crafting, where one-button crafting rewards a basic result, and skills in engaging complexity rewards higher quality.
    Commission based system either tied to the house with delivery on demand through ingame mail or using a commision window like EQ2 (though knowing SOEs obnoxious patent policy, they prolly copyrighted that), where the buyer can provide soulbound mats.
    Group/raid crafting content, including crafting depending raid objectives that spawns unique mobs with crafting drops.
    Epic crafting quests for crafting gear and tools.

Economy
    NOT ingame-mail dependant, I would rather a shop display function tied to the house, available to friends or public at standard fee based on the house permission if visiting the house, but also available through the protostar broker for an extra commission fee (sort of like EQ2).

Path System
    Real uniqueness.
    Rare heirloom drops on one character, that can be used on another character to open the same type of path objectives, sort of a "other path temporary buff".

Housing
    Extended permission system, those not permitted encounters the large defensive cannons.
    Crafted, quested and cash shop furniture that is equally well designed. I hate when a craft is obsoleted by selling much better stuff on a cash shop. Rather tie cash shop vanity furniture to different styles that would not otherwise be accessable to the races in question. After all, Protostar provides - for a price.
    Optional accountwide housing.
    The hub for caretaker/crafting based solo objectives.

Combat
    From what we have heard so far, pretty much what Carbine is doing. Limited action bar built from a range of abilities depending on class and put into sets by the player depending on how they play. Telegraphing, situational awareness, environment matters.

EndGame "Elder Game"
    Frequent content updates/changes.
    GM events and zone wide effects based on community activity - well, at all levels.
    Relying more on the players to spawn objectives rather than only getting fed (repeat) content in a liniar fashion.
    Complex achievement system with categories in class, craft, instanced content, open world content, pvp objectives, path objectives, lore, seasonal events, etc.

Recommendations
    Some sort of social media typ feature to recommend players, or assess players from a range of factors in different types of playstyles.

Make reputation with different races, faction npcs and world npc hubs mean something more than access to a limited amount of gear.

I can surely think of more, but alas.... too long already
    Yakzan, Samsquanch and Maddog Charlie like this.
  8. Samsquanch

Samsquanch Cupcake

Not only do I agree with lots of the things you posted, I read the article from the link you provided and good stuff there. Thanks.
  9. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I have an appendix for this one.

Make quest drops, meaning quest specific items you only see when on the quest, attach to the quest, rather than fill up in the bag.

Make quest clickies accessable on the quest track list - if the game have such, otherwise add it to part of a limited quest clicky bar. Avoid inventory items not meant for extended use/vendoring.

Quests

Do not limit the quest journal to some low number of quests.

There are quests you work on a long time, quests you do immediately, and quests you wait for a good oppotunity to do. Having to clear the quest journal of epic/hallmark/signature/lore chains to add immediate quests sucks major marbles.

TSW frustrated me endlessly with quests limitations, even if the discarded ones were registered for picking up later.