Wildstars taking the wrong path?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Spelvargen, Sep 18, 2013.

?

Is Wildstars taking the wrong path with too much and too childish humour?

Poll closed Feb 18, 2014.
  1. Yes

7.6%
  2. No

92.4%
  1. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

I hate pg 13 games and i despise cartoonish style games (see torchlight's art style),but i love Carbine's idea of humor,and i think the game looks awesome because of how over the top everything is.Personally i am sick of the fantasy setting MMO's ,as they can never be mature enough for my taste (Conan was close),and i think a Sci-fi,not so serious MMO like WS is welcomed.
  2. Doomhaus

Doomhaus New Cupcake

Couple things about Wildstar:

1) The graphic style of Wildstar will not age... You can come back years from now and it will still look good.

2) The humor is what makes Wildstar, Wildstar... And what serious toned MMO have you played that was fun? I personally have played none.
    Carebear Commander likes this.
  3. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

I think this type of game is definitely welcome. Why make the same old mmo we've seen a hundred times? Taking a different, unique direction is a good thing. As far as this 'childish artstyle'...meh. I'm 34; at a certain point in life you stop being concerned with such petty matters and just appreciate something for what it is.
    Xecks, Ianpact and Kataryna like this.
  4. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Seems short term memory loss is an issue for you, let me refresh your mind.

You imply that it being a fansite that opinions that don't share Carbine stance won't be frequent, or to put it simply a site infested with fanboys, but those that are able to think more critical might be able to find some basis to your thought.

What is a pretty bold claim for a guy being on these forums a whole 10 minutes, the credit to make you look bad goes to yourself, i didn't have to attempt anything or put any effort in when making statements like that.

I didn't attack you on your OP did i? no i took you on such dumb statements. So don't go acting all "omg i can't state my opinion here".
    Bantheera, Milamilou, Ianpact and 2 others like this.
  5. GoatSlayrr

GoatSlayrr Well-Known Cupcake

I gotta join the masses disagreeing with you here OP. I personally love the tone of everything we've seen. The surface is pretty light and humorous, but scratch just a little deeper and you find a bit darker stuff. And if you dig really deep, there's some really heavy stuff at the core of thing. Our characters will be exploring a world where an advanced and powerful race just went *poof* after all. I'd say that's a pretty good set up some big nasty stuff to come our way.

But when we're not dealing with whatever hidden big nasties there are, we can go back to our houses and play chopsticks on our yard pianos with some friends to blow off steam. Balance, it's a good thing.
    Ianpact and Carebear Commander like this.
  6. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

I think you would really enjoy some of the lore pieces written on race back stories, the Eldan, Arboria, The Mordeshes Plight, The Dominions cast system, and many other well written articles. This gives an awesome feel for how serious some of the problems are.

I think your mistaken on who is developing Wildstar, Carbine hasn't released any games previous to Wildstar.
    Ianpact, Carebear Commander and Kash like this.
  7. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

and if you really want to get dark and spoiler-y-ish Carbine has stated that "something got the Elden, and it's coming for you, the players!"
  8. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

oh yea...the Mordesh is really really dark stuff! also - http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/wildstar_wednesday_shades_eve.php Shade's Eve is pretty damn dark for a "cartoony kids game" - Draining the blood out of a young girl to save the rest of the Cassians?? yea - fricken dark!

Pretty sure lots of people have never seen that one actually...
  9. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

10. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Nah.

Not worried about the humor thus far. In fact, I've only actually seen it in promotional videos and not through in-game videos at all. If anything, the humor is really only a strategy Carbine is using in their videos to promote their game.
  11. Novalith

Novalith Cupcake

Wrong path? I'd say the right path.

I want more of this humor and attitude in the game.
  12. CRB_Caydiem

CRB_Caydiem Carbine Studios

I find it a bit funny that World of Warcraft, of all games, is referred to as the "serious" goal to which we should aspire. Not that I mind WoW's particular brand of humor -- I spent five years on the project myself, after all -- but it isn't precisely where my mind goes when I think of a serious game.

WoW is irreverent and chocked full of pop culture references. Even when it's not referencing anything but itself, it can go over the top and be pretty silly (I'm looking at you, Welcome to the Machine). But I'm not discounting your opinion on its lore, because there's a reason you feel that way: despite all the wackiness and pop culture references rife in the game, the Warcraft world itself takes its lore seriously when the situation calls for it. And I don't think you have anything to worry about regarding Wildstar on that front -- our world does precisely the same thing.

Our lore hits the right notes: it's expansive but easy to grasp and sink your teeth into. I think you'll find that all of our races have an understandable place in the world that you can root right in as a player, and they don't find their situation very amusing at all. Wildstar is about races from across the galaxy converging on one coveted world and the conflicts that result. There's tragedy, ambition, and drive there, as well as dangerous mysteries to uncover. It's solid stuff.

Is there humor in Wildstar? You bet. It makes characters more relatable and real. It makes moments memorable. It needs a light touch to play right, but we've got a pretty good handle on that. Sometimes the only thing you can do in a rough situation is laugh, after all, and by that definition, the Exiles sure have a lot to laugh about. That doesn't mean that the humor takes away from the lore -- it enhances it. It draws your attention and makes you more engaged during gameplay. Wildstar isn't exactly about the "Grimdark Fringes of Space," but the humor isn't there to distract. It's there to draw you in.

You can have a good game with depth to the lore that also gives you a wink every now and again. ;)
    Sonntam, Isgu, Tiberius and 25 others like this.
  13. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

What could be better than a Dev posting to answer your question OP?

Like I said before... Lot's of good info here on WSC, stick around.;)
    Carebear Commander and Kataryna like this.
  14. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

I don't do game lore, but I actually loved that one.
    GoatSlayrr likes this.
  15. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Wildstar is actually more mature than most 'mature' games

at least it's aware and celebrates it's cartoonesque graphics, instead of jacking off on brown chest high walls screaming LOOK AT HOW MATURE WE ARE BAM BAM I SHOT YOU BLOOD EVERYWHERE LOOK AT THOSE GUTS WOW WOMEN ARE WEIRD AM I RIGHT FELLAS
  16. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

Honestly, I stopped reading at the whole"WoW is the standard for good writing in MMOs" thing.

I wanted to read more so that my dissection of this asinine platform could be executed more precisely, but I just couldn't be bothered to. In respect of the fact that reciprocity is the heart of all courtesy, I'll trim down the rant I had prepared to something equally short:

No, OP. You're wrong.
    Xlugon Pyro and Vyver like this.
  17. Zellfel

Zellfel Cupcake-About-Town

There's plenty of room for humor in WoW (as has been mentioned plenty of times previously) that didn't affect the overall feel of the lore. Another example is the quest "The Day Deathwing Came." It's you re-enacting a story a drunk dwarf is telling you about how he ran up and punched Deathwing in the face the day the shattering happened. It was silly as hell and cracked me up.

It didn't affect the overall feel of the lore that you're so proud of, therefore I do believe that the sense of humor WildStar employs will not somehow diminish the feel of the lore. The Exiled Humans being humorously seen as inbred hicks (quote from Kit Brinny) doesn't somehow diminish the tragic state the Mordesh are in or discount the dark events in the history of the Dominion or the Exiles.

Also, you really haven't seen Firefly? Good god man, get on it!
    Ianpact and Kataryna like this.
  18. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

When you call a game childish it depends on your definition of maturity. Many people consider games that advertise sex, gore, nudity, and grossness to be immature. As they pander immature themes to young people wanting shock value. This type of game could very well be considered immature, childish and targeted towards those with low attention spans. Games who do this target a much younger immature audience who value eye candy or shock value over gameplay.

Maturity is generally much more subtle and does not need to be shoved down someones throat. I much prefer a game like Wildstar which emphasizes humor combined with difficult and complex gameplay over eye candy and immature themes.
    Ianpact likes this.
  19. CRB_PChan

CRB_PChan Carbine Studios

Let's make it two devs.

There was a TV show back in the late '90s called "Sports Night". It only ran for a couple years, and to be honest, I didn't get to see it when it was on the air.

The show is really rich on conversational banter between characters, but there's one dialogue that takes place between Dana and Sam in an episode called "Dana Get Your Gun".

The episode is about Dana inheriting a minuteman rifle. She hates guns, she thinks they're disgusting. When Sam gets excited about the rifle, she makes a lot of snap assumptions about Sam and his stance on gun control. Turns out that Sam is also pro-gun control, but he still thinks in context, that the rifle is super cool for its historical significance.

The Wildstar in game narrative is wide and various. There are many storylines and many interesting things to see, fun things to do, and cool NPCs to meet.

I recall a playtest where we were told to play Northern Wilds from start to finish. I face palmed at some jokes, I laughed at some jokes, I got knocked over by an avalanche.

As a systems guy, I don't generally care much about lore, so I like it when the narrative is light and humorous. This was perfect.

Then a tragic plot twist happens and it hit me in the feels so hard, I alt-f4'd the game and weep softly in Magoun's arms.

Let me be the first to ignore the line you've drawn in the internet sand and say that Wildstar is more interesting than that.
  20. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

To the OP:

Personally serious games that are serious about themselves never interested me. Ones which had easter eggs and had some humor to them were always fun. When I think "Warcraft" honestly the first thing that comes to my mind is the peon going "Work work work!" This can both be seen as serious and humorous, as an orc peon probably is pretty dumb, so his vocabulary is limited, so when his taskmaster tells him to go do work, the peon would respond "Work work work!" to the taskmaster so he doesn't get whipped. At the same time the way he says it makes it sound like "All I do is work work work!" and he's complaining a bit, which is humorous.

Honestly, life's serious enough, why do you need your games (which are supposed to be "fun") to be completely serious all the time too. Also, have you heard the Mordesh backstory? That's some pretty dark stuff...

In the end I think there's a healthy dose of comedic relief in the trailers they put out, but some good potential for a really interesting story.