1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will classes with healing have an edge in PvP

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Migrayne, Oct 26, 2013.

1. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

Things don't even out so much as become less noticeable. Group compositions tend to matter a lot less, and it's easier to find the black sheep amongst 1000 players rather than 200.

There is no reason you can't have every class have it's own situational strengths and weaknesses, and still be fairly balanced. The thing is you have to design the classes from scratch with that notion in order for it to work.

On the other hand, look at blizzard. They created their game without even including any form of instanced PvP. It is clear PvP was not at the forefront of their design philosophy at the time.
  2. Jaxxa

Jaxxa Cupcake

I agree, it's a big part of why I left. I guess the point I am making it's that the term 'balanced' is not necessarily that every class can look like mirror images in different gear. I think the limited skill set can help cut down on some of the imbalance problem since a player can't have unlimited 'oh <REDACTED>' or 'I win' buttons.
  3. Alistair Cain

Alistair Cain Cupcake

I don't think we have enough valid information to decide that classes with heals will have a noticeable edge over those that do not (in WildStar).
    As has been mentioned, it comes down to how they balance out classes and abilities. I have seen games do it badly to either extreme - in some, heals are too powerful and you can simply out-heal all damage and become nigh-unkillable, in others heals are too ineffective and simply not worth using.

Keeping in mind that with action-oriented games, particularly with active dodging, every character has the ability to evade damage and this usually means healing abilities heal for a smaller amount of HP than a tab-target style mmo.
    So just because one player can heal, it doesn't automatically give him an edge, if another can dodge his attacks and deal 3-4 times more damage than his heal can cure.

Again, too much will be determined by the class balance and how much damage you can deal out vs how much you can heal, to give a definite answer.
  4. Sarpadon

Sarpadon New Cupcake

Personally I have never really been all that interested in PvP in MMOs. But Wildstars combat system has made me reconsider it and I know I will be exploring PvP very eagerly, at least in the beginning. What would turn me off is if the classes were too homogenized in PvP to make them all equal in 1v1 combats. If they are focusing more on group content this would be bad, because it is variation that will make group PvP interesting. Personally, if it comes to variety or balance. I very much hope Carbine will choose variety. Nothing can be completely balanced unless everything is exactly the same on both toons.