1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will I be able to run Wildstar?

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Tarbal, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Tarbal

Tarbal New Cupcake

2. Guinn

Guinn New Cupcake

with 850 bucks you can buy a decent pc for wildstar. just make sure you have 8gig mem, a i5 + cpu and a 200-300$ gpu and you'll be fine.
  3. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

You wont need 8 for wildstar.
    If you are looking at getting a lot of memory, why would you get 8 and avoid the triple channel?

Actually if your on a budget you can get comparable performance on an AMD system and it will cost significantly less.
  4. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

I agree on the memory part, 8 isn't necessary.

One thing about AMD though, (because I have both an AMD chip and ATi card) since the beginning of this year I've been a little worried about the company's future. I built my system for a lot of growth, but this year I was thinking I may need to switch over to nVidia and Intel on the next upgrade. It does seem that the AMD guys are doing a little better now, but that was something I never did account for when building a PC. I could see AMD becoming primarily a tablet/portable chip maker, but that's just a guess.

Even though I like AMD, it was just something I thought should be added.
  5. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

lol. Amd's future is secure. some examples:
    1. Amd have the contracts for the "Next gen" consoles.
    2. ATI cards are out preforming and are more consumer accessible than most Nvida cards.
    3. intel and amd have "locking contracts" to the 32-64 architecture.
    4. Low price points is perfect for general purpose machines.
    As for upgrade paths, who's to say whats going to happen in 3 years time?
    Imo amd did a great job with am2+ / am3 extending the life of a computer.

Having said that, If i had the money I would switch to Intel Because i'm a power user.
  6. Fayde

Fayde Cupcake

i suggest if your on a budget you build your own PC it will save you around 150-200$
  7. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

Just with PCs on the decline in general and AMD running a loss for the last two quarters, it is a little worrying. They have to compete with Intel. It's not like they have a Nintendo-like niche market, at least that I'm aware of.

Their cheaper, larger chips are more accessible to the market, but it doesn't mean the market buys them. Intel's at 2 billion net this last quarter. AMD is at a loss of 79 million this last quarter. In pre-built, Intel is fairly secured and that's why they're Intel. In hobbyist, that category generally likes to make power-builds, so intel would likely be their choice. The PC market left open then is the new users who are getting budget custom PCs. This field probably doesn't know much about PCs at this point and really has a 50/50 chance of choosing either company. They might know Intel from previous pre-built and just go for that out of conformity. They might hear that Intel is more powerful in general and choose that, or lastly they might actually choose AMD on price.

AMD is the underdog in many ways. Just because AMD did pull through for many years doesn't mean they can when the computer market as a whole is changing. Portable processors are becoming the real stars. Smart phone sales are ridiculous. They can't use power-chips due to power consumption issues, so that is a field AMD could really compete in. If they find their market there, but remain losing in the PC market, they could just adapt and leave the PC market, at least "leave" in the sense that it's not worth upgrading beyond entry AMD chips.

Edit:
    I did honestly forget about the PS4 (it wasn't even something I had on my mind at the beginning of the year, because it wasn't officially announced). That may give AMD a terrific boost at the end of the year. I'm guessing there will be like 50 million PS4 sales, worldwide, across the next 5 years or so (rough guess based on present ps3 and xbox360 sales). I'd say Sony has the advantage going into this next console generation.. so that's good for AMD.
    Tarbal likes this.
  8. Tarbal

Tarbal New Cupcake

Thanks for the advice! I'll compare an AMD build as well, just to see what is offered. As Dysp said, I mainly know intel because I have always used pre-built computers; this is my first time building my own, since as Fayde said it is cheaper.
    Whichever I get, Intel or AMD, it will have 8gb memory since its cheap and should be plenty for future upgrades down the road.
    Thanks again for the advice/suggestions! Ready and waiting for Wildstar release!; whenever it is! (I can wait for 100% over rushed 80% any day!)