1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will paths continue to be relevant at level cap / eldergame?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Tazik, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Tazik

Tazik New Cupcake

Something I've been thinking about lately is the role of path selection for your character a year after launch after you've been level capped and raiding for a while. From what I understand, paths provide something like 20% of your quests while leveling specific to your play style (ex: explorers will get to do jumping puzzles and uncover remote locations 20% of their time while moving from zone to zone and obtaining XP while doing so, helping them more enjoyable level up).

Unlike your choice of class and even your choice of trade skills and gathering skills, which affect how you play and socialize in eldergame, I'm wondering if paths will have a place too once you're done leveling up and questing? I can see settlers uniquely being able to provide social elements to quest hubs and maybe even capital cities, but will explorers, scientists, and soldiers provide anything as well?
  2. Garalia

Garalia New Cupcake

The short answer? We'll have to get a lot more info on what the elder game looks like before we know for sure. What I have noted from various dungeon videos is that there are path-specific things in there, so I'm assuming that this will continue all the way up through the game.
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well we don't know what they can ''add'' in raids (we don't know <REDACTED> about raids yet).

Also paths give abilities/spells, titles, mounts, items etc. etc. Which can be used at elder game aswell ;)

And mayby you'll get 1 or 2 path dailies/weeklys etc.? Who knows :rolleyes:

And this is just me trying for a few seconds to come up with something :p imagine what I can come up with if I do my best :D (so i'm sure Carbine can come up with something aswell, seeing as they ''love'' their own path system i'm sure they want it to still be important end/elder game).
    GloryHogXL likes this.
  4. Pmizzrym

Pmizzrym Cupcake-About-Town

Explorer: Will always have the benefits of travel an explorer has

Settler: Buffs will always be useful forever

Soldier: Seems like a superior way to farm with a dps character

Scientist: The only one I see really suffering this problem.
  5. Rek

Rek Cupcake-About-Town

Explorer and Scientists both will have pretty fixed content to explore/study. But with new content added each can have more added. Scientists are easier to add for, as it's simply new mobs/bosses etc. Then again with random holes being able to be added anywhere they add to either pretty easily.

Very easy to add new Soldier challenges.

Settler, doesn't even need new content to remain relevant. Should always have something to do for the social player.
  6. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

Scientists will be able to unlock hidden rooms in dungeons, unlock many awesome things. You will want a scientist in your party.
    Rek likes this.
  7. Rek

Rek Cupcake-About-Town

That's good. As I want to be a scientist.
  8. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

In the long run I do worry about some of the paths using up all of their content. Settlers will always have something to build. Soldiers will always have something to fight. But wouldn't eventually scientists scan everything and explorers explore everywhere? Eventually you will reach 'max' level in your path. We already know paths have a separate level and exp counter thing that was mentioned a few months ago. Yet, soldiers and settlers seem like they will always have something to do.

People have already said that it's super easy to add a soldier challenge. But explorers would need new jumping puzzles, or even changing puzzles. The same with a scientist. We know they have a randomizer so the same solution to a puzzle will not always work, but it's still mostly the same puzzle.
  9. Amenar

Amenar New Cupcake

It is still to early to say. Maybe Carbine has some kind of Eldergame that is specifically for Paths, just like raids, dungeons or dailys. It could be anything, maybe 5 soldiers need to fight a big boss or 5 scientist needs to combine their efforts to make a cure for a plague that has develop in one of the areas.
  10. EinsamWulf

EinsamWulf New Cupcake

I don't think we have enough info on that. Truth be told we haven't really gotten a firm idea of that the entirety of the Elder Game will entail, or at least the details of the features we often here the devs speak about.

Personally I'm hoping for paths to be continued into the Elder Game. I think Amenar has some good ideas with respect to that.

I'd like to see uses in Elder Game content for those who have taken the time to advance their path to the highest levels, such as Explorers being able to uncover alternate/unknowns areas within the Elder Game that offers more information as to the world story.

Time will tell but the more I see the more I like. I may just have to drag my wife kicking and screaming back to the world of subscription based MMOs.
  11. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

My understanding is there are unique skills for each path. My concern isn't so much relevance at max lvl as much as certain paths being superior for certain roles.
    D3athcr33ps likes this.
  12. selodaoc

selodaoc Cupcake-About-Town

I was first really exited with settler, but after thinking it through im not so sure.

Problem is, i would take it for the buffs etc. But why bother if my guildfriend has everything i have and more? Why go to my own place to get less? And why would anyone else in the guild go to my place instead of his?
  13. D3athcr33ps

D3athcr33ps Cupcake

This will absolutely be the case. I have a little bird that tells me that some paths will get a stun, overall damage reduction, bubble, movement speed increase, crit buff, etc that are UNIQUE to certain paths. I can easily see min/maxers that play a non-healing class roll scientist for the self heal, or a range class rolling explorer for the sprint (this is just an example). This is a DUMB, DUMB mechanic for players that have never played before must commit to a certain set of skills before they know anything about them. People in WoW played certain races for the racial skill and took certain professions just for the perks. People WILL take a path they don't want to play just for the unique set of skills. I think the rewards should only be cosmetic. Give a player a cool explorer hat to wear, or a "Mad Scientist" title, or a vanity item that turns your mount into a mini tank, or a settler pack mule to follow them around. Please god no skills!
    Lokken likes this.
  14. Lokken

Lokken New Cupcake

Hmmm, I see your point. Hopefully they come up with some way to give unique abilities that are cool but don't punish people for playing how they like, regardless of bonuses.
  15. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

Chrilin said:
    My understanding is there are unique skills for each path. My concern isn't so much relevance at max lvl as much as certain paths being superior for certain roles.

I am hoping Carbine doesn't take this route (although I have read similar comparisons) for the reasons stated above. Picking a path at lvl 1 for end game utility takes the choice out of it for a lot of folks.

On the other hand, WoW went way to far when the homogenized all their classes.

Meh... If it doesn't work they will end up nerfing the path abilities and I doubt anyone want's that to happen.
  16. Menchi

Menchi Cupcake-About-Town

Rowsdower Shepherds. That's the class that gets the crook. Scheduled for an expansion, it will be the first pet class and will use "charm" mechanics like the beastmaster from FFXI. :p
    D3athcr33ps and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  17. D3athcr33ps

D3athcr33ps Cupcake

In the game code there are 3 classes that have yet to be mentioned offically: corrupted, darkweaver, and charmer. Now either these classes got dumped, they will release them at xpac, or they are planned for release. In MMO's this happens all the time where they release that the classes are too similar. As of right now I am pretty happy with the variety of different classes, but I'm wondering how they will maintain the unique aspect of each class.
  18. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

Pretty much this,although i don't agree with the scientist