1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will paths effect combat?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Optimisticnerd, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Optimisticnerd

Optimisticnerd Cupcake-About-Town

I can't really find an answer to this somewhere (maybe I'm being unobservant?) but I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not paths would effect your performance in combat.

Like for example, would I have to be a soldier in order to get a perk that would increase my DPS by that extra 1%? (Yes, I'm a min/maxer. I am so sorry...) My primary concern is as to whether or not I'd be forced to play a certain path on my main toon in order to min/max for raid.

I think I heard something about people being able to share their path abilities with people in their group but I am unsure... Anyone got the answer for me?
  2. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Good question. I hope we find that out, was wondering if it would effect the character other then being quest and environment related.
  3. spencerBAXLEY

spencerBAXLEY Cupcake-About-Town

Forcing min/max'ers to forgo their personal preferences for the sake of being able to min/max doesn't seem like a philosophy that Carbine would stick by. I'm pretty sure paths won't affect combat—at least in that sense.
    Plix, Malisent and Optimisticnerd like this.
  4. Optimisticnerd

This I can fully agree with. It doesn't seem like Carbine would do that, and I seriously doubt that they would. But you never know, so might as well ask to make sure.
    spencerBAXLEY likes this.
  5. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

Paths will affect raiding for sure, but in the way we used so far, they ve said for example that a warrior tank with xxx path, can be more effective in some fights than the other tank that has yyy path. This though does not mean that the other tank wont be able to do the job...
  6. Taters

Taters Cupcake

According to current info you share path content and path xp by grouping up. No mention of any path specific combat buffs or abilities yet, but I think it's very unlikely.
  7. Optimisticnerd

That's what worries me though. I'm just really hoping that there isn't a perk that is pretty much required for min/maxing from a DPS or a Healer stand point. Or rather, I'd hope that all perks have their own special quirks, but are over all equal.
  8. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

i didn't think they came out and said anything like that. they said that paths may have a use in raids/dungeons, but i was thinking that would mean that with an Explorer you might get to go down a special hallway, with a soldier you get this extra boss, with a settler you get to drop camp fires that are used as check-points, etc
    Ingsoc and moneda like this.
  9. Optimisticnerd

Hmm. I never thought of it that way. It'd be pretty awesome if for example, explorers had a perk to make the run back to the boss shorter.
  10. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

One of the examples they talked about was a once a day jetpack for the explorer. Though I think the bigger impact would come from settler. They keep describing setters giving a lot of little bonuses to a lot of people. Like picnic that gives + 2 str to every one who eats it. That could really add up in a raid.
  11. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

The settler bonuses such as picnic may be capped to prevent hug benefits from multiple settlers.
    For example if the picnic gave 2 str and everyone in the raid was a settler and it all stacked, thats a lot of extra strength.
    It makes sense though that different settlers could bring different things. One settler could provide the picnic buff, one a campfire, another one could add on to that by popping up a vendor or repair guy etc.
  12. Vhiral

Vhiral Cupcake-About-Town

I don't really know if the paths will affect combat. I am hoping that it won't, because I want to play the path that I find the most fun, not the one that gives me the most benefits later in the game.
  13. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

I have to echo Kataryna and state that I don't believe anyone from Carbine has said anything like that. If you can provide a source for that I'd be grateful.

I do not believe your path will make you more effective in combat at any point.
    Plix likes this.
  14. bitbandit

bitbandit Cupcake-About-Town

Generally buffs/debuffs have a cap to prevent things like this from happening
  15. Qimx

Qimx Cupcake-About-Town

If not the paths are just and only for lvling purposes? I don't think so, there must be another point for it, like for example, extra stats or special skills.
  16. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

The point of the paths is to add another layer of content specific to an activity one typically enjoys. There has been mention of temporary skills given to players of a specific path [i.e. the jet pack for Explorers] but nothing has been mentioned to give credence to the belief that choosing a particular path will give you an advantage in combat at any point.
  17. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

Paths will not have a meaningful effect on combat. I can't find the source for this comment right now (I'll do some more digging later), but Carbine does not want to force anyone to play a certain path to get the most out of their characters.

EDIT: Can't find the source at all, but I swear it's out there somewhere. D:

The point is to add more flavor to your gameplay, and reward you for doing things you enjoy doing anyway. Sure, you might get special abilities for leveling your path, like the jetpack mentioned in this interview with Jeremy Gaffney, but tacking on things that will make min/maxers go for certain paths because they're rewarded with certain skills for doing so is pretty silly.
  18. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I don't think paths will add to your combat.

Though it was fun imagining a settler dropping the camp they build for zone buffs on enemy heads. :p
  19. qqmoarploxify

qqmoarploxify Cupcake-About-Town

Maybe each path will offer something unique? For example, solider may give 1% increased dps/healing while explorer gives slight movement speed increases so getting from point A to point B in a raid scenario is faster (which means you can resume dps quicker). And whatever else for Scientist and settler.

Although, I think the main goal for paths isn't to increase your combat ratings but rather your gameplay when doing quests/dailies.
  20. Hope

Hope Cupcake-About-Town

This is exactly what I thought too.

All tanks requiring to have path X, damage dealers path Y, etc. to be most efficient is hardly a good design decision. It doesn't add anything to the game.