1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will paths effect combat?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Optimisticnerd, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Ingsoc

Ingsoc Cupcake-About-Town

I *think* this is the quote that Recruiter was talking about:

I don't interpret that as meaning a soldier tank would have a clear advantage over other tanks in a given fight, just that anyone who's a solider - DPS, Tank or Healer - might get a cool ability for a specific fight depending on the iteration of the instance you've got that week. Maybe one week an Explorer would be able to open a secret cave that leads to an extra boss or bypasses a bunch of trash. Who knows?

I am really looking forward to a system that gives me more of the content that I enjoy. Problem is, right now I can't decide which Path I would enjoy more. lol
  2. Optimisticnerd

Optimisticnerd Cupcake-About-Town

Thanks for the "most likely not" verdict, everyone. It makes me a lot happier keeping in mind that it's not likely to happen, because I personally want to be an explorer. Platforming is my jam when it comes to out of raid content.
  3. spencerBAXLEY

spencerBAXLEY Cupcake-About-Town

Same. I mean, I'm really looking forward to finding out more about Settler, but Explorer and Scientist both sound pretty good too. Bah! Here's to hoping I get into a beta so I can play around with them and figure it out then.
  4. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

hey mate, i wasn't referring to that, i can swear that i ve red/heard/watched, that they said something like this...

For example, where in some fights would be better to have xxx path warrior to tank, we wont force you to seek "Lfg xxx path tank for yyy instance". other paths, can be quite efficient as well"

Something like that, i don't like to spread rumours that are not based anywhere, thus i am trying to find that source, if i fail, shame on me... but i can swear i heard it somewhere.

In any case i am sorry for any inconvenience i may have caused
  5. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I can imagine for the hardcore raiders that want to rise on the leaderboards, the paths become hugely important. Maybe they give that little extra edge in a fight so that they're not necessary to complete the whole dungeon, but they would help make it go more smoothly...
  6. Slyndria

Slyndria Cupcake-About-Town

I have wondered this also, do paths passive or active rewards that will in turn require you to roll a specific class and spec to min max?
  7. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I believe theyve said that there will be no disadvantage of choosing one over the other as far as min maxing goes.
    As in for one fight, it may be handier to have one path , but another fight could be a touch simpler with another path and so on.
    So no clear winners , and thus choose a path on what you like playing.
    Optimisticnerd likes this.
  8. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

I don't really mind how/if they implement paths and combat interaction. For me so long as something can be useful, players will generally find some way to get the best out of it.
    I enjoy the variety myself but if they wanted to 'play it safe' and still implement some combat benefits then they could go with overlapping functionality and non stacking for path abilities.

Example:
    Soldier brings a 'War, huh, this is what it's good for!' dps buff to the group.
    Scientist brings an 'analyse weakness' buff that makes targets take extra damage from the groups attacks.

Have both buffs provide the same increase and not stack - different implementations for the paths but essentially the same thing.

Example 2:
    Explorer uses 'tactical knowledge' to reduce damage done by targets in combat with the group.
    Settler provides 'home comforts' to boost the defences of their group.

Again non stacking and essentially the same thing with different implementation so that there is no feeling of imbalance.

Not saying this is how it should be done or anything (as I mentioned I actually prefer a little bit of variety to open up player ingenuity/interpretation) but it's one way they could choose to go if they wanted combat affecting stuff(tm) from the paths.
    People enjoy complaining though so I guess whatever they decide someone will find something to moan about :laugh: (always feel sorry for game devs).
    ruff_ethereal and spencerBAXLEY like this.
  9. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

Paths giving players an advantage in combat at any point is unfathomable to me. Can you imagine each 40-man raid needing to be balanced against a group with anywhere from 0 to 40 Soldiers, completely independent of their classes, if say Soldiers were given some kind of combat buff the other paths were not? Ick.
  10. JarNod

Just curious... How is this any different than having classes having a combat buff?
  11. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

because it would be paths in addition to classes. i can deal with class abilities, but to throw in additional considerations for the paths, it would just be a real pain. esp if it was a "you have to have this path/class combo, and this other path/class combo, etc" that's 24 different path/class combos you could have!
  12. JarNod

I disagree... I doubt there will be Class specific Path abilities. By that I mean, I very much doubt that a Stalker Settler will have different abilities than a Warrior Settler. That means if you're going to cover a 40 man raid entirely, you will need at least 1 stalker, 1 warrior, 1 esper, 1 spellslinger. Then you will ALSO need at least 1 settler, 1 explorer, 1 soldier, and 1 scientist.

So let's take a 40 man raid. Out of 40 people, judging by this site's popularity (though I haven't actually polled everyone) it's about 30% scientist, 30% explorer, 20% settlers, 15% soldier and 5% undecided. These are numbers off the top of my head, so don't quote me on that. In a 40 man raid, you would have 12 scientists, 12 explorers, 8 settlers, 6 soldiers and 2 undecided. Doesn't seem like a problem.

You're looking at the combination of race/path, instead of treating them as completely separate variables. A stalker-explorer will only have stalker abilities different from a warrior-explorer. They will share the same explorer ability. This is all speculation of course, cause I don't remember seeing anything from Carbine detailing this specifically.
  13. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

not quite what i meant, it's not class specific path abilities, but abilities that help a class more if they pick specific classes. or certain abilities that are useful for each class from each path, if you don't have one of the combos you could be gimped. that's what people are worried about, being gimped if they don't pick the "right" path to go with their class. if scientist has an ability that lets you do more healing, all healers will have to pick that for the elite/most competitive guilds, or be gimped. same with if soldiers had a buff that gave them more damage if they're melee, then all stalkers and warriors would be required to have that path or be gimped.

i'm willing to bet, however, that the paths will not have abilities like this, just to keep people from worrying about it.
    Kurik Lein and JarNod like this.
  14. JarNod

I understand now. I'm sorry for not understanding previously. I can see that as a potential problem. Hopefully, Carbine has too and will flesh it out properly.
  15. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

[​IMG]

A quote from their Flickr account which actually worries me a bit despite the fact Scientist is probably going to be my first path.
  16. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

I wouldn't be too worried - that was written and uploaded just over a year ago, and we still know next to nothing about the Scientist. They're constantly changing things up, so chances are that a Scientist could and couldn't do things then that they can and can't do currently. :)
  17. Fb62

Fb62 New Cupcake

Yes, carbine has confirmed that they are trying to implement your path into raids/pve, and even to warzones/pvp. They said they want to make sure its not important to the party, so u dont need any specific path, but to the point where you can take advantage of your path.
  18. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

This is my limited understanding as well. It would pretty well castrate the whole idea if soldiers did more damage for example.
  19. Katu_Kath

Katu_Kath Robot Cupcake

20. iiFrank

iiFrank Cupcake-About-Town

Hopefully once the main site forum is up, or maybe on this site a DEV will express some clarity to this question that everyone seems uneasy about. I"m sure carbine will answer the questions that need to be answered because they seem like a very competent team. I don't think they will leave everyone in the dark about our main concerns.