1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will people resent the DPS medic?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Malachi, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Aduuri

Aduuri New Cupcake

I dont see why people would expect a medic to heal. Medic means to heal others, but if your dpsing the bosses fast you are tech. healing others :p by allowing the other healers to do their job right :p I think medic dps will be fun, i also think the medic heal will be fun. Honestly, i feel like the classes that have been presented have so far shown a great balance. The devs have died, their oppenents have died in live stream and its not because they are bad players, but because they have a great balance. They didnt show a medic dps overpowering a stalker dps and vice versa. They equally lost one. SO, if someone expects a medic to heal because of their name. They are quite ignorant :)
  2. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

well if you play with people who min/max that all goes out the window. its anything to get the best results possible and anything else is unacceptable.
  3. Brox

Brox New Cupcake

This is true to a point, but it is not quite as extreme as you make it out to be. If it was, then raids would consist of primarily of whatever dps spec is pulling the highest numbers, which is most certainly not what is seen. The DPS medic, when fully AMPed and geared for DPS, will be able to keep up with any other DPS spec in the game, as has been said by the devs. The healing numbers for the healing classes are completely irrelevant to this discussion, and they will be balanced around each other, just as the damage specs will be. There are no "pures" in this game, so any kind of statement saying a DPS spec for any class should be slightly behind others, because they are the best at their support role, is nonsense.
  4. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

well theyve already said that "tanky" heavy armor classes do a bit less damage than the medium / light armor classes. so class does make a difference.
    i was comparing it to vanilla wow but i know it is different in this game. still there are going to be some classes that preform better than others. no balance scheme to date gives the same output for each class in practice. 5% is still 5% dmg difference so there will be some saying certain classes that are looked down on for going dps if you are a serious min /max guild . ya there are most guilds that dont stack classes but some do.
    the whole point is , if a class does the best or better at one role vs the other one it has , it will almost always be asked to do the role that is better . and if its a heal capable class, the healing takes the lead if it is even close with both roles .
    min /max happens to a greater % than 50% and i would gather a guess at more like 70%.
    choose your guild wisely and you can avoid it.
  5. Bastille

Bastille Cupcake

Totally true. I remember the top WoW guilds wouldn't take a single dps shaman but took like 4 balance druids when they raided and it sucked because a lot of people loved their shaman but the class just was designed to be subpar at the time.
  6. Brox

Brox New Cupcake

Yes shamans were doing bad dps at high end levels in past expansions, and they weren't brought because of it. But the balance variance was MUCH higher than 5%. Also, specs, such as the balance druid example you refer to, were stacked due to those specs excelling at various fight mechanics.

Finally, by your logic Xecks, then only spellslingers and espers will be brought into raids for dps, since every other class brings heavier armor and thus slightly lower DPS. The other classes have stances that sacrifice survivability for damage, as well as the AMP system and gearing. They have said that all DPS specs will be viable at end game raiding, implying the variance will be negligible. Being a skillful player at your class will be more important than class choice.

Again, every class is a "hybrid" in this game. People may be asked to heal in spots for the good of the guild. But at no point should anyone be forced to play a role they do not want to play, I don't care how hardcore the guild is. The roster will consist of 40 raiders, which usually implies a bench. There will be many factors used in deciding who should heal in this game, based on tank make up and mechanics of the fight. It will not simply be, "medic is best, you heal." There will be a healthy variation in healers on most rosters, as well as dps.
  7. Bastille

Bastille Cupcake

I really hope that by launch they have refrained from gimping certain specs simply on principle. No one should have to roll something they don't like because their favorite class can't get into raids. It's just not fun.
  8. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

i have yet to see a game where viable meant within 5% of the top dps in the game. viable is almost a dirty word to those who heard that and had a dps who was played by the top players in the world in non progression content (cause nobody would take them to progression) doing the most damage done for the class and still being near or over 15% lower than the top dps.
    if carbine sticks to their plan and does it where everyone was within 5% of the top dpser then ya everyone is "viable".
  9. Bastille

Bastille Cupcake

Sure, but there's no denying that 5% meant the difference between raiding and sitting on the bench that week for a good number of hardcore guilds. I am not personally a hardcore player so I'm okay with 5% but I'm trying to speak for the guys who take this extremely seriously. The point is that there should be as few reasons as possible to pick one class over the other strictly because the max dps on one is lower.
  10. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

yep. i think as long as it is hard capped at either 5% or a lower % within each other it will be fine for regular guilds but for elite guilds it will be an issue and i think theres nothing you can do other than give slight buffs to the lacking classes.(no i dont like nerfs).
    however if there is a more than 5% variance there should be calls for buffs and not nerfs to the top classes.
    alot of this will be mitigated by the sheer size of raids . still its a point that should be adressed and done well if they want the players to be able to enjoy what they want and how they want it.
    Bastille likes this.
  11. Bastille

Bastille Cupcake

Well said.
  12. Brox

Brox New Cupcake

I can definitely agree with this sentiment. They have not really given a percentage of the variance they are shooting for between the dps specs, but by allowing each class to have a support as well as a dps spec, they seem to be implying they want the variance to be negligible. They want players playing their chosen class, in their chosen role. If they can nail a variance no higher than 5%, then I would call that a success, with smaller being better of course. I will hold judgement on that front, however, until I can do some testing for myself.
  13. Tidezen

Tidezen Cupcake

It's funny because in this thread, people are already ASSUMING medic will be lower-end dps.

Seriously, for all we know, at end game when the game is launched, medic could be ROCKIN' the tops of the dps meters, and they could be the worst of the three healers. We simply don't know yet.

Would it help if I put it like this: The three DPS/Healer classes could be named:

Class#1: 01101101 01100101 01100100 01101001 01100011

Class#2: 01100101 01110011 01110000 01100101 01110010

Class#3: 01110011 01110000 01100101 01101100 01101100 01110011 01101100 01101001 01101110 01100111 01100101 01110010

And they are. Just in a different language than English.

What matters in a class is its abilities, not whatever name you slap on it.

All three DPS/Heal classes better be able to DPS within a reasonable margin of error of the other classes. Just like they all better be able to heal about equally. If not, that's the dev's fault, not anyone else's.
  14. Malachi

Malachi Cupcake-About-Town

Here's a good reason to assume that medic DPS will be more than "just fine":

http://www.twitch.tv/zybak/c/3421957

Yes, it's PvP, but when you do more than twice the damage of everyone else, that ought to tell you something.
  15. Kay

Kay Cupcake

I doubt so - unlike games with classes that have dedicated paths of function, WildStar is a multi-style gameplay concept. They may not see them as true medics so much as mad scientists of course. As long as they aren't dishing out superior damage and heals at the same time, it should be a non-issue.
  16. Hambledurger

Hambledurger New Cupcake

I would hope that the way Carbine has announced these classes might make players less biased towards roles.It is very clear from the beginning that every class has two roles, one being DPS. My hope is that even someone who is new to the game will realize that since their class can do two things, most likely others can as well.

That being said- I agree Medic was a weird name for a class that isn't going to be healing all of the time.

Along the same lines, it will be interesting to see if the Stalker tank meets any player resistance or not
  17. Diagas

Diagas Cupcake

It will all depend on the demand of the holy trinity and how each class is viewed min-max wise. Despite the campaign from devs, the player base ultimately makes the culture. I think pressure will fall towards the most in-demand role, which will most likely be tanks and healers. Luckily Carbine has given every class the option of tanking and healing, so there are no true "DPS" classes.

I'm hoping we don't see "LF1M heals MED/ESPER ONLY" due to lack of viability, and also am hoping we don't see, "lol im a dps i never healer," from Spellslingers/Espers. As long as Carbine has laid out the foundation of every class having the tools necessary for the holy trinity, I don't think there will be backlash.
  18. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Like a lot of others, I think people will be bias when they team with a medic to find that medic is made for DPS. Yet will immediately point out the name of their class and how it's meant to heal others. Well...medic is meant to aid others in our modern society. The medic in wildstar? You really only have to look at the webpage on the website to see how that mentality has kind of altered in the Wildstar society. There will still be a backlash. Mostly based only on the class's name and people's preconceptions.

I think that even Medic DPS characters will have a stronger than average healing ability than say the spellslinger or the esper. Mostly because a number of their ability both inflict damage and heal themselves at the same time. It's good that a DPSer has the ability to heal themselves if they make a mistake while on a team. It takes some of the pressure off the groups main healer. The medic may take a hit, but the healer doesn't immediately have to worry about them. The medic can recover from it quite quickly and still continue to damage.
  19. King Radinov

King Radinov Cupcake

In general I think the idea that a large number of people flip out when a "healing" class is played as a DPS is grossly overstated. Does it happen? Yes. I don't believe, however, it happens as often as it is made out to be. There will always be people who will complain about it and there will always be groups affected by it, but in the end most groups should go off without issues. Even those who do complain will most likely just get used to it after a while.

I'd be much more worried about the possibility of any one or two of the healer classes (or DPS/Tank classes for that matter) turning out to be way more powerful than the others. While people can simply get used to a Tank classes DPSing or a Healer DPSing, if the problem is that one of the classes is just better than the other then people might start getting shut out of groups.
  20. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

This kind of concerns me too. Espers, Spellslinger, and Medics all heal. However, they do so with slightly different methods as Carbine has stated and shown in the livestreams.

If there are different methods then it stands to reason that some methods are more efficient in some situations. A high level dungeon's bosses might mesh really well with say the Spellslingers method of healing. Pretty soon everyone wants a spellslinger healer on that dungeon and none of the others.

Even looking at the Medic, that class specializes in short and medium range telegraphs. Ranged DPS in a dungeon will naturally want to spend time away from the heavily damaging boss, likely out of range from the medic. At the same time, close range telegraphs greatly benefit melee DPS and tanks. So if you had a team consisting of a warrior tank, a DPS warrior, and two stalkers the group would likely appreciate a medic healer much more.