1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will people resent the DPS medic?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Malachi, Dec 20, 2013.

1. King Radinov

King Radinov Cupcake

In certain situations I believe this to be a good thing. I'm not worried at all that a certain battle may favor one or the other a bit. That, to me, is actually a good thing because it shows that they all have good tools but they aren't all the same.

I was talking more so about X is supposed to be good at one thing, Y is supposed to be good at another, but X is still better at Y's job than Y is, so no one want to take Y in a group.

All in all, though, I pretty much agree with what you're saying.
  2. Alex F

Alex F Cupcake

Don't think too much about it. There may not be a shortage of healer simply because healing and DPS are very different here than in your standard MMO. That is not to say that you won't run into some guys that see themselves in a position where they can tell other people how to play their own characters, cause d-bags run in any mmo, regardless of the theme, mechanics or whatever.
  3. ArsenixTG

ArsenixTG New Cupcake

The great thing I like about how Wildstar tackles the holy trinity is that they've made the group setup allow 3 dps 1 tank and 1 healer which should make it much easier than the 4 group style setup for dps to find a group for hard content
  4. Tidezen

Tidezen Cupcake

They really just should have named the class "Biotech" because that's what it really IS (taking a page from Firefall here). It's a class that focuses on technology to affect the biology of its targets, whether that be damaging or healing. The DPS side of Medics is more like a scientist developing biological warfare weapons...that person is in no way a "medic", although they do need to have intimate knowledge of biochemistry to do their job.

"Esper" and "Spellslinger" don't have any of those connotations in their names; they're both neutral in how you could interpret their roles in the trinity. Likewise, "Warrior" and "Engineer" aren't that specific, although a Warrior healer would be a stretch--usually if you have a Warrior with a healing option it's called a Paladin, Templar, Justicar, or something like that.

I imagine there will be a little bit of kickback for "Stalker" as a name for a tank...but the "rogue tank" has recently come into favor in MMO's--Rift and SWTOR both had rogue-tank classes, and a lot of people seem to want to play a Stalker tank in this game, (myself included) so I'm guessing it won't be a huge deal...people are already used to the idea.

One of my mains in WoW was a shadow priest, but I was pushed into playing a heal spec like 70% of the time, simply because of the name, and the fact that I had two heal specs available to me. I don't think this be AS big a problem in Wildstar, since half the classes have heal specs too, but it's worrisome.

It's weird, because for my second character I'm torn between the Medic and Esper, but I'm leaning towards the Esper just because I won't be so pigeonholed due to the name. I do like healing, but I don't like being pressured into it. So strange, that the simple choice of a name for the class could be influencing my opinion so much.
  5. Montanx

Montanx New Cupcake

I agree that medic will be typecast to heal. I auto assume they will be the best healers, cuz c'mon, medic. They def could've gone with something more general and less job specific. Medic name is =doctor, healer. May as well have called warriors damagers by that naming theme.
  6. King Radinov

King Radinov Cupcake

I will certainly agree that they probably should have given the Medic a different/better name. That would have cut down on a lot of the issues that are cropping up now. That said I will state again that I really don't think the problem will be as pronounced as a lot of people think it will be. It will happen, but I'm confident it will be the exception, not the rule.
  7. Draft

Draft New Cupcake

Check out this video:

There's a good chance that folks will be rolling medic just for the DPS. Certainly, there's no way to tell whether that'll bear out at level cap, but some things won't change -- medium armor, an escape, medium-sized and ranged telegraphs -- that indicate this will be a strong class for 2's, 3's, and in general PvP. And, if the class can hold its own in PvP, it should certainly be more than fine for PvE :).
  8. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

When others are sending out group invites, they'll specify the roles, and you'll apply to that role --- The medic isn't the only hybrid class, every single class is hybrid, so no one can really assume. So I don't think medics will have particular problems, even if they need some healers and want some raid members to convert into healing, the espers and spellslingers are both just as likely to be asked as medics.
  9. Elloa

Elloa Cupcake

I agree with this. The name of the class will influence the perception of "clueless" or "stuborn" players. Biotech fit just perfectly the "Lore" and is not inducing that the character can or can not heal or DPS.

But for all future Medic DPS, remember that there is zero reasons to be more forced into healing, hybrid or DPS than any Esper or Spellslinger. And if there is any reasons, that probably mean that there is a class balance issue. Each of those classes should be as capable to heal or DPS than the others. Otherwise... it's unfair :p
  10. King Radinov

King Radinov Cupcake

You mention the point of all classes being hybrids and I think that is exactly why this won't be as big of an issue as some may believe. All classes are capable of more than one role. It seems to me like the Medic is just an easier secondary role to guess at.

That said I like/love the idea of simply changing the name of the class to Biotech. It clears much confusion and in my opinion it sounds much better.
  11. Channon

Channon New Cupcake

I like the idea of doing something out of the norm of what people think. Don't let anyone tell you what you can't do! Question things. Disprove the norm. Have fun, it's a game.
    King Radinov likes this.
  12. Tybald

Tybald New Cupcake

Without DPS it is hard to solo a healer - and there is almost always solo play to some extent unless you're a total twink/alt. With most classes having some healing ability to offset pure heals it also seems less likely to cause issues. Although it will certainly be the case that for end-game content there will always be a need for dedicated and skilled heals (that doesn't stand in the fire)
  13. D3athcr33ps

D3athcr33ps Cupcake

I am aware of the people assuming all medics are healers. To increase the confusion I am going to name my mechaari "nurseratchet" and NEVER heal.
    Mondasin, Malachi and King Radinov like this.
  14. Khaaan

Khaaan New Cupcake

in the end it will really boil down to wether they give medics viable dps or if they will do visibly less damage then others. If a groupleader knows that by inviting a medic as dps the damage of the group will be less (by a considerable amount say over 20% less than if he would invite a random spellslinger) then playing a medic as dps will be a hurtful experience regardless of how good it will play in a healer role.

Actually I do think Carbine will manage to give the DPS specs that are meant to do a little less damage than others enough of it so that they are viable and will sooner or later be accepted in these roles.
    What I am really concerned about is that DPS classes that can also heal themselves were plainly overpowered in every other MMO to date. I cant think of a way how to balance that unless you take away the healing or nerf it to the ground when the class is in dps stance.
    Xecks likes this.
  15. PunsofSteel

PunsofSteel New Cupcake

Speaking from an end game raiding stand point. It's all gonna depend on strength/experience of party, party constitution, boss strat and how close to top dps the medic can hang at. As others have pointed out, their dps must be viable. Because of the way medics distribute heals, they may be asked to primarily heal during a specific encounter. Others, they may be free to dps. The "good" medic will know what the situation requires and act accordingly;) Nothing worse than a healer class who refuses to heal.
  16. mXb

mXb New Cupcake

I'm planning to play DPS Medic until max level. Then I might switch to healing unless the dps is more than enough for raid spot. If not, then I'll just heal. I'm not sure about PvP. I've healed last 2 years in WoW so I might stick with DPS. It all depends how the DPS medic performs at max lvl.

Oh, and got to agree. The name could have been better. Although I kinda decided to level up medic just because of the name but I was planning to be healer when I made that decision. :D
  17. Azer

Azer Cupcake

I think they solved the issue of not enough tanks or healers and too many DPS by making each class be able to respec into either a tank or healer whenever they are out of combat.

The only problem is that by making you have to itemize for a different stat to perform that role well, at high levels many DPS players simply wont have the gear to tank or heal. Making the solution a non-solution.

They made healing look much more fun in WS than in other games so maybe the lack of healers issue is 2/3 solved.

Your only problem is that if you have no support gear and/or refuse to tank or heal when needed then you're going to find some resentment. But in that case you will have earned it.
    Nitt likes this.
  18. Nitt

Nitt New Cupcake

It will be interesting to see if players take this into account, given the apparent ease of being able to swap roles without too much fuss.
  19. Azer

Azer Cupcake

Just have 2 sets of gear. It's not a big deal, but it will extend the elder game somewhat because you need twice as much stuff.
  20. mXb

mXb New Cupcake

Yeah that shouldn't be a problem. People should be used to having more than 2 sets of gear by now no matter what class you are playing. And I can't see that extending would be a bad thing. Unless it's boring as hell. :p

Didn't really matter wether I played PvP or PvE in WoW, I usually had atleast 2 sets of gear. And when I played both I had more sets that I could fit in my bags. You'll get the gear eventually given enough time (and effort ofcourse). But I'm more worried of people utilising the option to play different roles.

What I mean is that WoW had few of those classes that could handle different roles but yet people stick with DPS. Usually the reason was that tanking/healing is boring. Hopefully that will change in this game. Healing sure as hell looks a lot more interesting in this game than it ever did in WoW.

I talk too much about WoW..