1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will the two faction's classes mirror each other?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by jay, Feb 10, 2013.

1. jay

jay New Cupcake

As seems to be the popular dev trend, many mmo's have classes on each faction that while named differently mirror each other in ability's. Think Imperial agent & Gunslinger in SWTOR as a perfect example. Do you think we will see this trend continue in wildstar with the exiles and dominion? Or will each faction have different class types?
  2. Sneakybuffalo

Sneakybuffalo Cupcake-About-Town

Same classes across faction most likely
  3. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

I was hoping it would be. Differently-named classes with different effects, but same mechanic, but it doesn't seem to be the case after seeing Dominion characters use Warrior and Spellslinger skills that looked the same on Exile characters.

What City of Heroes/Villains did was pretty cool. Although some classes were cooler on Villain side, the Going Rogue expansion allowed players to cross over, having Villain classes on Hero side and vice versa. However, the classes didn't mirror each other completely.
  4. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I can't place the quote right now, but the devs have categorically stated that classes so far announced will be cross-faction.
  5. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

I wouldn't be surprised if each faction got one special class like wow had before they changed it.
  6. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

This, I would like. Because if there are gonna be classes that some races can't use, I can't really see Granok being Stalkers and Espers, and that really cuts out diversity for the rockheads. So if there is a 5th class that is different for both sides, it can probably cater to every race the faction has to offer without breaking lore and concepts.
  7. Sneakybuffalo

See my thread here http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/predicting-10-classes.1141/
  8. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

9. Sneakybuffalo

with 10 classes there will be plenty of options for every race. that's all
  10. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

True. But 10 classes is pure speculation at this point. The more the merrier, but I am basing my opinions off a known number.
  11. jay

jay New Cupcake

I'm actually surprised at how tight lipped they are being about the classes. They must have a few of the classes down pat atm. You would think they could reveal some kind of info on them.
  12. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

I think it's wise. The lesser they reveal things, the easier it will be to change things without confusing the mass.
  13. Sneakybuffalo

They have a whole year of hype to get through. Months of convention season. I'd expect a class reveal at PAX East, the stealth one, more at E3, and more at PAX Prime
  14. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

Well, we're guaranteed getting the reveal of the Stalker class this Wednesday, Ten Ton Hammer has advertised a whole article on it and other things for the finale of their Wildstar Week. ;) But I could definitely see further class reveals at the other conventions like PAX.
  15. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

A weekly reveal the next 10 or so weeks sound good too.

Would almost fit estimated beta launch time.
  16. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

I was hopping there would be a unique class on each side of the fence. Similar hybrid type class but added non game breaking differences.

LIKE WOW HAD oh er... um ... like Shaman vs Paladin?
    16bitbandit and Wreck like this.
  17. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

It certainly added an exclusive element to have Shamans vs Paladins, but if they mirror one another, then I think it's fine. But if one class has an obvious advantage over the other, then I think it will cause population balance issues.
    Aheadache likes this.
  18. Noa

Noa Cupcake

Hmmm.. if it's ten classes, then I could see five being on one side and five being on the other, if we're pulling up WoW then they had about, then they did, for the longest time have one class all to themselves before they changed it, which made sense lore wise. But I dunno, it really depends on if races are going to be a key factor in determining who can play what class as well.
  19. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I would love a unique class per faction to give each faction it's own personal flavor, but I don't think in this day and age that's gonna happen. Ever since WoW gave Paladins to Horde and Horde handed over Shamans, companies just don't seem to want to deal with the headaches of balancing one side vs. the other.

I always thought Paladins and Shamans were wonderfully balanced in their own way, and I never thought one side has a giant advantage over the other, but I'm not the one who makes these calls, sadly... and it seems the industry doesn't like factions having different classes anymore unless they are PERFECT mirrors of each other.

Sure would be nice, though, to give each side it's own special someone.
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  20. Wayoverpowered

Wayoverpowered Cupcake-About-Town

I miss each faction having its own unique classes... :(. DAOC ended up with what, 45 classes between three Realms? It was overall well-balanced, though there were definitely times with pretty out-of-whack balance, but it was FAR more interesting and varied than these cookie-cutter hybrid classes in small numbers that keep being churned out now, mirrored for each side for so-called "balance".

You really can't "balance" perfectly no matter how hard you try even then, because there's always going to be some mitigating factor that would make it not "fair" in some way or another even if everyone had an identical character with only one melee attack that 2-shot enemies in PVP, and no other abilities at all. You'd have people whining that it's imbalanced because if someone lands a hit first, they'll usually win from there. You'd have people whining that it's imbalanced because two enemies could kill you in one rotation, while you can only do one attack in that timespan. You get the idea.

Additionally, having unique classes per faction gives you an incentive to play more by trying them out!
    Aheadache, Patrician and Guide like this.