1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will there be a variety of different weapons that classes can weild?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Dinkzz, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Dinkzz

Dinkzz New Cupcake

Because atm this is my only concern about this game that there is not much variety for different classes. For example I've only yet seen the warrior just holding a two handed sword. What about Axes and Maces etc. And the Stalker only having he's Walverine blades. If classes are only entitled to having one weapon this game won't work.
  2. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

No, they only have the one iconic weapon.

If I were you, I'd remove that last line, as you are only asking for trouble and I'd really not have another "Why WildStar Will Fail" debate. One weapon per class is not the end-all, super-nail to the coffin.
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

You must mean the following:

Since I can't express your concerns/feelings in a normal way I will say that everything that does not follow my personal standard will not succeed in doing what they want to do.

Or are you really thinking that having 1 weapon makes or breaks the entire game?
    Cause if that's the case I'll only say....

:roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo::roflamo:/facepalm
    Ianpact and Agneos like this.
  4. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

Not to mention that it looks like there's quite a few different models for each weapon type.

Anyways, there's literally no need to have multiple weapon types in a game where there are no weapon skills. Weapon skills are an archaic (in MMO terms anyways) way of limiting certain classes to certain weapons. Carbine has just gone one logical step further and made it so each class has a class specific weapon type that they use. That doesn't mean that all of the weapons within a weapon type will look the same or even follow the same archetype. If Carbine wanted to, they could make something like a giant double-bladed axe for warriors and call it a warrior weapon. There's nothing holding them back from creating many different variants on the classes weapon "theme," it's just that other classes won't be able to use the weapon. Which is generally the case in all MMO's right now anyways.
    BisonBeeblebrox and Sonntam like this.
  5. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Personally I like that each class has only one iconic weapon. Meanwhile there are other items that all characters share. Such as shields and types of armor. Types of armor (Light, Medium, Heavy) is limited by your class. Though I have not seen any mention of different types of shields. I wonder if they follow light shields, medium shields, and heavy shields too? I haven't seen any real evidence of it in the livestreams.

Anyway, one weapon per class means less infighting over drops. A nice psyblade drops from a boss? It binds on pick up? It's okay. Only the two espers on the team can use it. Better two people to argue than five people to argue.

Screenshots and videos have also shown there is a wide variety of shapes to these weapons as well. Anything from a giant sword to a chainsaw on cocaine. I think the variety of skins will keep people's interest.

Limiting one weapon type per class makes animations easier for the developers. It also doesn't mean that in the future they can't add a second weapon type per class or even the option for a secondary weapon. In many ways, they have already added a secondary weapon for some classes.

Take the Warrior's arm cannon for example. It pretty much functions as a secondary weapon. Even though no item in the game represents it. There is still room for Carbine to make items for it in the future. The Esper's psyblade functions because the alloy that makes it up is psionically active, helping them focus their power. There's nothing stopping carbine from dropping in another item in the future to act as a secondary weapon. Yet for the most part, it will just act as another item to carry stats.

I would mention something about new secondary weapons granting individual abilities. Such as a Spellslinger who has their pistols, but can also pickup a secondary weapon that's a shotgun. That shotgun grants them a new ability in their LAS. However, we already have something like this in the game. They're called 'Gadgets'. One of which can be equipped at a time and they do grant an additional ability that's not counted towards the 7 class abilities on your LAS bar.
  6. Channon

Channon New Cupcake

Smokes and mirrors. At the very core, a different type of weapon in a game is just a different digital image or idea with bunch of variables. Just like a name for a class, it can be whatever the creator wants.

For instance, 2-handed sword A could have the same exact stats as 2-handed Mace A, just a different visual representation. Would it really be a different weapon?

If you want to play a dual wielding melee character, play stalker. 2-handed weapon, play Warrior. Seems fair to me.
  7. Domi Dayglow

I think some games make a distinction by adding certain traits to some weapons. For example, a Mace weapon could have a chance to stun where a sword would not. Instead the sword would have a chance to add a bleed damage over time.

This is also just smoke and mirrors too. For argument's sake let's say in Wildstar a big heavy bladed sword has a chance to bleed. It's skin is of a really long, really sharp looking blade. Another sword has a chance to stun. It's skin is of a single edged sword, but the back of the blade may be large and flat with counter weights or a weighted hilt that appear useful for bashing. Both can be classified as a warrior's 'sword'. Just choose the effect, or appearance, that you want.

I think that was one thing that some people spoke out against in the early days before Beta in 2013. So many wanted a warrior that could carry two weapons. We've gotten a lot more class reveals since then. Now it seems kind of clear why warriors in the Wildstar universe don't use two weapons. Technically, they already do. They carry their fusion-powered sword and their other arm sports that arm cannon.

I can just imagine some point in the history of the Wildstar universe that two warrior's faced off against each other.

Dual-Wielder says, "Fool! I have two blades! You only have one! You will be defeated!"

To which the reply is, "Yeah, I've just one sword......and a cannon!"

Plus the arm cannon also blasts, grabs, holds, slices, saws, cuts, burns, smashes and makes waffles!
    Channon, Azh Saana and Kataryna like this.
  8. Caedis

Caedis New Cupcake

Wielding "different" weapons is really just a skinning issue. In WoW wielding a mace, axe, or sword doesn't change your skill set one bit. If the concern is customizing the look of your character, I think Carbine is doing a fine job with the variety of skins for each class's iconic weapon. Since I'm not in beta I don't know this for sure, but do dye colors work on weapons or just armor?

And I'm sure in the future Carbine could add a transmogrification/skin system if they wanted to.
  9. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

last count that they told us (many months ago!) they had something like 60 different skins PER WEAPON TYPE! and over 200 different SETS of armor skins. so, um, that was months ago and i'm sure that the artists that do that stuff haven't stopped working....
  10. Azh Saana

Azh Saana New Cupcake

I clearly get the idea where the topic is going, but look at this from the other side - different weapon types could be used to make different skill sets. Even in WoW (in the state I remember it, not sure about latest "expansions":) ) it wasn't only purely cosmetic, there were some skills that required certain weapon type.
    In GW2 weapon (and off-hand) define half of your skillbar, and, say, elementalist could wield a staff, a scepter + focus or dagger, or a dagger + focus or another dagger, which created huge variety of skill sets to choose from while not letting you pick only the most powerful ones.
    Letting one class have only one weapon type looks like a step to more casual gameplay, but not necessarily. Everything depends on how it blends with the rest of game mechanics. We'll see how it works out in WildStar.

This would be awesome. :)
    Dinkzz likes this.
  11. Ianpact

Ianpact Cupcake-About-Town

[​IMG]
  12. Deavon

Deavon Cupcake

Its a shame that some people can't look beyond the use of multiple weapons for variety.
    There are so many ways to create variety in classes without even talking about weapons.
    Most people can't stand looking like there neighbor. Well then don't play MMO's because you can't look unique on a server with a 10 or 20k population.

In the end its all about how much dmg you can do or knowing how 2 outsmart your oponent.

Mmo's are all about imagination, so use it :p[​IMG]
    Ianpact likes this.
  13. Dinkzz

Dinkzz New Cupcake

This is what i'm talking about. It just adds a whole new dimension to the game and makes it very fun to try out new specs and which you like best. The only reason i said that this could ruin the game is because. You could get very bored with just carrying around the same weapon and doing the same thing, looking the same xD
    Azh Saana likes this.
  14. Ianpact

You may want to look more into the game and have some patience to see how they handle it before making baseless assumptions. Just because one developer did something one way doesn't mean another way couldn't work. I apologize if that came off blunt.

I believe the idea behind single weapon design was so that they could provide quality over quantity. However, as mentioned by Kataryna, it doesn't mean they left quantity out. As there are 60+ designs slated for release and if they follow the current trend of mmo gaming, we probably won't have to wait two months for new designs to be added. In addition, I believe we may be able to use dyes on weapons and might even be able to customize them with enchantments/effects in some ways down the line. Hopefully more will become revealed with the next NDA lift.

In World of Warcraft, it's true that at this time, but not always was, that different weapons are just different skins. Currently in Guild Wars 2, this is not true. So what works for one doesn't necessarily pertain to another. I believe the latter will be the case for WildStar.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the "costume system" extends to weapons, too. I have not watched enough streams to confirm this though. However, I will be very surprised (and disappointed) if it doesn't.
    Dinkzz likes this.
  15. Deavon

Deavon Cupcake

It would be a shame to disappoint you for this great game but at the moment how the beta is weapons can not be costumed nor can they be dyed.

its in this article: http://www.wildstarfans.net/2014/01/costumes-fashion-nexus-style.html

Then again i bet that it will be in the game maybe not for launch but it will be, it has to be, it must be :p haha
    Ianpact likes this.
  16. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Eh. It's an aesthetics thing.

I like variety. Since things like slash, crush, blunt, stab etc. don't seem to matter it would've have been nice to play a warrior with a giant hammer or spear. It would've been nice to play a stalker who uses small flails or pipes, etc.. It would of been nice to be spellslinger that uses throwing weapons or actual slings. You get the point.

At least they appear to have spent the time making various skins, but variety is always better.
    Azh Saana likes this.
  17. Domi Dayglow

Or a warrior who has a rabid chua strapped to a stick as a sword! In it's idle animation, the chua squirms, froths at the mouth, and screams nonsense!
    Witless and Ianpact like this.
  18. Ianpact

No worries. I wasn't sure but didn't think that it worked that way at this time. Hopefully they will add the costume option if not the dyes. Either way, and even if they don't add it, I'll still probably play. Only thing keeping from playing at this time is a new PC for which I need money and work with which to get said money. ;)