1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Will there be more classes - potential class/path problem.

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Blue Skunk, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Known race and class combination so far:

Code:
            Esper  Spellslinger  Warrior
    Human                X
    Aurin    X
    Granok                         X
    I have no clue if there are more known (officially) announced combinations or not. If there are, please inform me about them.
    Regiside likes this.
  2. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

This here looks very much like a human warrior... but could also just be an NPC, which we all know are typically exempt from class roles. Human espers are definitely a thing, though. (Human female all the way to the left, with the brown hair/high ponytail - one of several appearances she makes in this video.)
    Regiside likes this.
  3. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

Don't forget the human 'un-named stealth class' that there potentially is, in one of the videos.
    Regiside likes this.
  4. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Code:
            Esper  Spellslinger  Warrior  Stealth
    Human      X        X          X        X
    Aurin      X
    Granok                         X
  5. Tiktak

As an aside (slightly off topic, but only slightly) I have a feeling the 'un-named stealth class' will be part of the Dominion reveal. I can imagine the Exile races that can use it will be only Humans and Aurin, but maybe 2 or all three revealed Dominion Races that will be revealed might be able to be that class.
    In the same token, I'm sure there will be more Exiles races than Dominion as Spellslingers and ESPers.
  6. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

I think MMO developers have realized that restricting classes to specific races is not a very good design move, and I would imagine that we'll be able to have a spell-slinging granok or a tanky aurin.

I may be wrong about this, but I can't think of a mainstream MMO that came out in the past 5 years that had class restrictions on race selection.
  7. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

You are driving me crazy with this. Esper, not ESPer! RAWR!

I think I might have to disappoint you, Gaffney already stated in the AMA a few months ago that the race you choose will define what classes you have available. Of course this may change, but I actually like class restrictions based on race, so I hope they don't open up every class to every race.
    JarNod likes this.
  8. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

Cool thanks for the link. We'll see how it goes, I guess.
  9. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I do too. It just feels very lore-ish when certain races can't be certain classes.
  10. Tiktak

Sorry Starspun. I'll try to rein in my capital letters!
  11. mockingfox

mockingfox Cupcake

Its the Dominion, they have not revealed much about them yet cause they are still focusing on the exiles.
    Search "Factions"
    Regiside likes this.
  12. mockingfox

mockingfox Cupcake

I also like the class restriction by race deal. Brings a personality to the race in a subtle way, for example the Aurin's wouldn't be a warrior class cause they are agile frail and smart. So naturally they have more support, controller and striker orientated roles than tanks.

It would really ruin the lore and style of WS for me if bunny tanks started running around everywhere, just like gnome warriors were silly in WoW.
    Regiside likes this.
  13. Tiktak

I would be interesting to see a more 'full' Class/Race combination chart for the Races and Classes that have been released so far...
    Regiside likes this.
  14. Regiside

Regiside New Cupcake

good find! nice sources!

Granok's get to crush things like nobody's business!
    mockingfox likes this.
  15. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Well hmmm dunno they have 'Extra Sensory Perception' like powers so ESPer makes sense with me :)
    Starspun Im a reasonable guy, of course I will agree with you, so long as you sign a blood oath to see the downfall of the Dominion Empire and the freedom of the galaxy for all species.
    Cpt Maddog - IGFF
    (Independant galactic freedom fighters)
    Regiside likes this.
  16. Maddog Charlie

True but individual race statistics could take care of that, eg: if the Granock somehow recieved a bonus to melee then they would naturally fall to be the choice of players (cause we all want good characters). So I know what you mean but Im kind of more for the 'choice' element in character generation. If Im a Granock and have a number of enemies I quite expect them to roll 6 warrior Gnomes and relentlessly pursue me to the ends of Nexus, film it in Fraps and then post it on utube :( (That event didnt cause any lasting psychological damage to me, ....honest).
    Further it would be great to see some flexibility on weapons too, thats a big part of the game finding what works for your character best so I dont want to see faction specific or class specific weapons, just nerf the stats depending on your faction/class. I know it ends up with some unusual combos but that adds more to the variety in the game. Could even end up with a team of dwarf snipers carry ridiculously long rifles....... cause they would probably have to form a human pyramid to be able to snipe anything ......or get up tall steps too !
    Regiside and mockingfox like this.
  17. Maddog Charlie

EDIT - Perhaps the restriction of class to race should be determined by the faction, ie: Dominion have a more structured belief of organization, you cant be an Aurin warrior cause its just not allowed (seen as weakness of the pack etc ?) wheras Exile have a more 'liberal' approach to classes/race combos allowing the aforementioned Dwarf sniper elite to form their own tactical team (No matter how bad an idea that may seem). Kind of 'Full freedom' vs 'restricted freedom, with footnotes and exception clauses' ?
    mockingfox likes this.
  18. mockingfox

mockingfox Cupcake

An interesting view Maddog but simply restricting the race/class selection for one faction and not the other would mean that the unrestricted faction would get all the players who want to play the restricted combination and leading to an unbalanced faction player base by inherent design instead of by mass preferance/chance.

Operating under the assumption that both factions have the same/similar races (which they dont cause 2 of the 3 exile races HATE HATE the dominion) I would understand if they had a different variety of class/race combos but simply having one faction have all the choices while the other has all the restrictions is simply not fair on multiple levels.

I would rather it be a much more open system before I saw this kind of factional inbalance. especially since its against my chosen faction, rebel scum.

Edit: LOL DWARF PYRAMID!!!
    Maddog Charlie and Regiside like this.
  19. Regiside

Regiside New Cupcake

when you say "race statistics could take care of that" do you mean the imbalance that can occur when dishing out racial passives that while are true to their racial lore are simply impractical from a gameplay standpoint.
    (and example would be giving the granok a boost to melee and health/defense making them tankier than other naturally. This is what the race is, but unless balanced by an equally viable racial passive such as a humans more widespread and overall higher stat boost or a aurins greater intelect and agility it would lead to always making granok warriors)

when you say 'choice' are you meaning that you rather have less race/class restrictions or less effective passive racials leveling the playing feild for all races to be viable with all available classes and avoiding pigeonholing race/class combinations. Or do you mean that you are against restricting class choice by race.
    or do you mean both.

I'm interested on in your opinion here maddog, although im with fox on this one.
    class/race restrictions. Not to restricting but just not EVERY CLASS for EVERY RACE. their should be 'some' limits and specialties.
    Maddog Charlie likes this.
  20. Regiside

Regiside New Cupcake

Woops didnt see this post. Well now its just a question on which races get what classes and how open the choices are.