1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

World of Grand Theft Auto

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Afrotech, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Afrotech

Afrotech Cupcake-About-Town

As we wait on WildStar to launch and look to other games in an effort to keep ourselves amused until then has anyone else noticed that Rockstar has all but, officially come out and said they intend to take the GTA franchise into the MMO market?

plans for a persistent world that would include Liberty City and possibly Vice City
    multiplayer difficulty missions
    updating content
    housing
    loot-able players
    bounty system
    upgradable player stats

It sure seems that way to me especially after reading the new article on IGN about online details and future plans.

It will be interesting to see how the online aspect potentially evolves, expands, and improves when Rockstar most likely introduces the PC version at some point but, either way at least for me it should keep me busy well into the end of the year making the wait for WildStar a little shorter.

Anyone else excited for GTA5 and GTA Online?!
  2. SykoTavo

SykoTavo Cupcake

A grand theft auto mmo would be interesting indeed.
  3. Ugh

Ugh Cupcake

I would probably dislike it. I think it'd make a horrible mmo. Although I don't care too much for any of them already haha. I don't really see how there would be any kind of..balance in that game.
  4. Roadblock

Roadblock Cupcake-About-Town

I'm more likely to take a look at The Crew .
  5. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Well "GTA Online" that's been advertised is currently the multiplayer for GTA V and it looks pretty dam brilliant, have to wait on a PC port though!
    Also...

<Mod Face> Thread Moved, we have a Gaming Arena sub-forum for a reason folks! </Mod Face>
  6. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

I loved the series as long as it stays true to the series. I would personally would love to see how a GTA MMO would work out
  7. Afrotech

I agree a wide open sandbox game like GTA5 would be difficult to balance as was already pointed out and I wouldn't really want to see the game watered down by the constraints that would come by giving it the MMO treatment but then again Rockstar and games like Tom Clancy's the Division might have a whole different take on what's expected in an MMO.

It will be interesting to see how GTA Online plays out when it launches October 1st especially when you consider the potential of the PC version.
    The online mode and introduction of features like upgradable character stats, group missions, a bounty system and social clubs with a hierarchy which seems to be the basis for guilds has me wondering if this is all some elaborate testing bed by Rockstar to gather data for their true goal World of GTA. :cautious:

The good thing is that whatever Rockstar does they won't rush it they have a great reputation, time, resources and tons of cash not including the 800 million they just made in 24 hours.
  8. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Sounds like to me they are testing the waters on it.

we'll see

embrace the sandbox
  9. Dedlaw

Dedlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Just one thing in my opinion if they intend to turn it into a MMO - if they want to keep the GTA feel, there needs to be no restrictions on PvP. If you can't attack anybody at anytime, anywhere, I would be sorely dissapointed
  10. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

You can attack players and rob them of the cash they have on them!

Here's a little IGN article/video which has some helpful morsels of info
  11. Dedlaw

Dedlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Nice!

But grrr, I really just can't get over that "world for 16 players" bit. I really hope they are planning on increasing the amount of players that can play together (or against each other). The size of the map begs for more players to flood it's streets (and deserts, canyons, oceans,.....)
  12. Afrotech

Not positive but, I think that may be due to hardware limitations.

Edit/

By the way I had this thought while playing that what if they expanded on this concept of multiple main characters in future games like an MMO by integrating that concept into how your alternate characters play and connect to each other by seamlessly switching among them on the fly instead of having to log them in and out.

Probably a lot easier said than done, but imagine the possibilities.